OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris B-Plex vs. Nikon BDC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyrichards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris B-Plex vs. Nikon BDC
    Posted: March/10/2007 at 21:48
Looking to buy a scope for some distance shooting at whitetail deer. I have a couple and like the burris scopes in the b-plex, how does the Nikon BDC scopes compare? Not sure of the little circles vs. the straight lines in the crosshairs!
rhunter
asphunter View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor

Larry Root

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asphunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2007 at 23:35
Both work about the same and neither are needed to shoot a deer out to 300 yards with any modern cartridge.
If you sight in 3" high at 100, given a deer's vital area of a 12 " pieplate with a 30-06 class cartridge, you can hold
dead on out to 300. Past 300 is a loooong way and requires excellent equipment, training and a real steady rest.
These complicated reticules just introduce more opportunities to mess up when confronted with the quick shot
opportunity. If you're a beanfield sniper, that's a different world and to be confident of those really long shots you
need to invest a lot of time and money shooting at long range under various conditions. The average hunter is fine
with a plex reticule for 99% of hunting.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2007 at 00:11
Hashmarks vs little circles is a matter of choice.  I've been playing with Nikon's BDC reticle and it does work well.  However, I am more used to hashmarks, so I have a slight preference for those. 

For regular hunting, I certainly agree that simpler reticles work best, although I prefer reticles that are heavier than a regular plex.  German #4 is probably the best allround hunting reticle, IMO.  However, I spend far more time punching paper and steel gongs on the range, so I enjoy reticles that allow me to do some holdover.

ILya
randyrichards View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyrichards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2007 at 11:29
I'm hunting  in fields that might require over 300 yard shots. I do use a rangefinder and understand practice at these distances are a must. Also setting up is critical with a good rest. I will be hunting with a 7mm 08. This was the first year I hunted in this area, grewup in mountainous country(short range) 33 years of hunting experience. I'm trying to better prepare for next season as I made some mistakes with my 257 Roberts and 6mm.I'm a low caliber kind of hunter. I'm just not sure about the Nikon BDC vs. the Burris B-Plex.
rhunter
asphunter View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor

Larry Root

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asphunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2007 at 15:58
For sill. 22rf gongs I have a 6x super fine CH with three dots (TK Lee Dot Inc) 2 min. 1 min and 1/2 min
2 for 25/50 1 for 75 and 1/2 for 100. much less clutter than lines and circles.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic