OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

First time reloading

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 14:36

i gotch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have  the rem710 300 win mag but still working on rest.

and i liek the kill stuff thats a good one lol

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 14:44
Hart makes a nice rest, little pricey, but real nice. 710 works, it's a Remmy...
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 14:49

so far i think i'm $300 into it and still going up.I'm going to order my scope next week sometimes so all going good for now.new rifle new shells and new scope makes the wife a happy camper....

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 19:05
i like the rock chucker the lyman powder dispenser imo is the best non electrical one out there, i like rcbs stuff good quality excellent cs dept and they make dies for pretty much anything, if i had a lot of money to burn i would buy redding high end dies. as for bullets the sierra bullets are all a guy needs unless he's chasing african game and even some of those animals wouldnt bother me to use sierra bullets, i dont have any issues with nosler bullets other than 50 per box, the partition and the accubond are damn nice bullets  as well the problem i have with barnes tsx and this is quoted from richard lee is that they make a very tough bullet, but that bullet raises the pressure levels and i dont wont that, im sure its a damn fine bullet as well, i dont think there are to many bad bullets out there, but the ballistic tip wouldnt ever be my choice for big game, to light of construction you hit bone your done, i shot a tree with one just for fun once all i found was the green polymer tip, the copper slivered like a wire brush.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2007 at 17:55
One other thougnt - Dont drink while you reload -

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2007 at 08:22
consult a square for load data is what he would probably write, he knows its a good idea to cover his ass, and i dont blame him. although he really never said why he wrote what he did, thats pure speculation on mine or anyone elses part.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2007 at 17:10

Solid copper bullets are not as dense as lead core bullets and are longer than the equivalent weight bullet in lead. Generally they are seated deeper than conventional bullets. This reduces case volume and leaves less room for the gases to expand, increasing pressures. This is not an urban legend it is a physical fact. If you don't believe it consult the ideal gas law.

This is not to say the TSX does not perform. Use Barnes data and certainly not 20 year old data from lead core bullets when approaching max loads. The TSX has less bearing surface which helps reduce pressures and is worth trying IMO.

Federal loading all copper and lead core bullets at the same velocities is no trick. They are both loaded to safely below max. Safety has to be priority, above all else, in factory loads and Federal has always been conservative.

Bigdaddy, your initial choice is a great starting point for a deer round. Like others have suggested I would go with a better bullet for elk. Also, I would stay with the 180's as a min for them as they would penetrate better.

Edited by tahqua
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2007 at 18:45

I bring it up because BD asked about loading for the .300 WM. If he wants to use a TSX, that's great. I suggest he doesn't use lead core based data to do it, that's all.

As far as loading manuals go, my 1980 Sierra, Hornady and Speer manuals all offer up more than Federal factory ballistics.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2007 at 07:18
he pissed off about everybofd and the way you talk you sound just like him
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2007 at 07:23

Okay thanks ya'll,

i think i'm going to start with the 180 ballistic's with IMR4350 with cci primers.

i am going to get some nosler sp acuboond's i'll get some barns and try them i'm willing to try something that might be great for me.

Like i said before as i'm new so i'm just looking for a starteing point and options that have worked well for you guys and different thing for me to try.

hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 22:43

HEY PYRO,  how the hell are ya..??  Glad to see ya still kicking ass...  Sorry I been missing out on all the good debate..(WRONG)  Sat on my lake (not in it) for a couple weeks thinking about how narrow and closed minded the WANNA BE NO IT ALL SELF PROCLAIMED GUN AND BULLET PROFESSORS  that like to sit on forums and sandbag and profess to some worldly data of some EGO brilliance bull..!!

AND you know  what, build your own rifle, build your ammo and do it all just the way you like it and go out and back it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!       Read what you can get your hands on, load what works, take your weapon out and learn it inside and out, MAX it out, do it like ya mean it!!!!!!!!!  

Had some doctor, lawyer, professor types across the lake that stopped by ....started talking guns, same "bullsh*t" everywhere ya go..!!   We picked targets large and small across the lake, they didnt play with me much longer, got mad and they went home..Took their, took their BIG money, Big gun NO IT ALL asses back across the lake and I never enjoyed their company again..!!!!!        30

hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 22:51

The point of the matter..????????????????  What point, I will hunt, benchrest, F-class with any bullet, any load any day just to rise to someones crap.....

Keep reading, testing and learning        HOT 30

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2007 at 07:19
glad to see you back too!!!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2007 at 22:14

A few snakes also, they dont last long though..............

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2007 at 19:58

Edited by pyro6999
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2007 at 20:00
theres three in there from my 300wsm
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2007 at 20:07
i have a digital camera but i dont use it i am old school i like black and white that i develop myself, may have to ask the wife how to use it and post the pictures again.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2007 at 21:13
i turned it onto macro and i cant make the picture small enough to meet the size requirements and make it visably clear.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2007 at 21:35
Untitled
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2007 at 21:43
ah ha i set it on 1.1mp and turned it on and the picture looks awesome.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic