OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

First time reloading

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First time reloading
    Posted: March/07/2007 at 14:55

Okay tell me what you think about this set up.Or if you think they will shoot great or not.

for a 300 min mag

primers     wirm mag

brass        b300wmn

powder      imr 4350  

lead          Nosler ballistic   180 grain    

Edited by Bigdaddy0381
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2007 at 15:34
Don't touch a thing. For accuracy only, try 70grs of IMR-4350 and a good hunting load for me has been 72 grs. (in a bolt gun). If your gun doesn't shoot the 180 BT well it probably needs an excorsist......
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2007 at 16:33
Just keep in mind that every rifle is unique.  What shoots well in one may not shoot well in another, even though there are certain bullet designs that generally tend to shoot at least "good" in most rifles with the right powder charge and OAL.  The BT certainly has a reputation as one of the more "accurate" bullet, as is most of the plastic tipped, high BC, type bullets (Schirocco, Accubond, SST, Interbond, etc).  Whether the BT is a good bullet choice for you depends on what you'll be using it for.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 06:35
i dont use win primers i use cci and the last time i used ballistic tips the deer ended up with a gigantic hole going out, if you are after an accurate bullet you got it, there are a lot of powders that perform well in the 300, reloader 22, imr 4831 and 7828, and the list could go on. like i told my brother in law yesterday, picking an accurate load off of the page of a manuel is like picking the winning numbers for a powerball ticket, if i could look at a load and know it was going to be a shooter i would be a board sob.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 06:37

i will be useing it for white tail and maybe an elk if i can get the hunt togather not many elk in ga but working on going some where for one.

I thought about useing a lower grain lead but from what i have readon a bunch of forum site that a heaver grain lead will be more acurate.I know now i have shot a factroy load of 180 and i can put 8 of ten in a dip can at 100 yards.but that was a factory load.

So this was the items i found that worked good togather so was just wanting ya'lls opinion and if i might could change anything.but i also know at first it will be trail and error so i was hopping to cut some time out of that.

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 06:41

pyro,

i went to a IMR site and found the this Powder would give me more FPS but would keep my cup presuer down a little.I'm not sure of the truth of it but it seemend to be a good starting point for me.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 06:44
i wouldnt use the ballistic tips for elk for sure you need a sturdier bullet, like rifle dude said each gun is different. you could buy two rifles with consecutive serial #s same caliber and all and they wouldnt shoot the same load in the same place.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 06:48

Okay,

yeah i know i have got to use this as a starting point what other recamendations would you have for lead powder ect.

I do know that i would like to stay with the 180 grain if possible

I have never reloaded before so i'm still trying to get all the info i can find on it.

I'm also going to be reloading a 30/30 i have thats a blast to shoot.

Thanks for all the info so far.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 06:48
50000-60000 cup isnt a big deal in the 300, at my reloading bench i have a sticker that say will trade speed for accuracy, a compressed load is harder on all components involved and most times not near as accurate.i never look at fps as a factor, pressure is taken into account,but i look for results on paper first then decide what my next step with that load is going to be.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 06:51
i only use 180's out of my wsm and 300winm as well and have had great success with sierra bullets, they are reasonably priced and they have performed well in my family for 50 years they come in 100 bullets per box not 50 like most others do, and they have a good weight selection for each caliber.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 06:55

Okay i will try them also.they have been highly recamended also.And comming for you i now it will be a good chocie.

On the IMR it showed hot load and normal and the FPS there wasen't a big differance in them.I think i will stay on the lower side of it and play around but i don't want to risk shooting hot load and runnning my gun or worse.

I'm looking for something to be acurate rather than fast.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 06:59
you can use there maximum loads if you want they arent going to blow up your rifle, your brass's life may be shortened although, i am working up test loads for 7 calibers right now, 22-250 .243 25-06 25 wssm 6.5 rem mag 270 win and 300 wsm, and i am loading up 75 rounds per caliber just so i get a good spread of the spectrum, i will be able to find a shooter and fine tune it. lots of fun
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 07:03

yeah thats kinda what i'm going to do with this 300 win mag.I was just wanting a good starting point.

I'm going to michigan in november to white tail hunt so i have time to play with it.i was going to make 100 rounds and do 20 with different loads and lead.

If you say a hot load will not hurt anything then i will try some and see.I'm just nerves about doing it for the first time.

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 07:04

whats the usuall brass life.( just for info)

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 07:07

as long as you dont exceed the maximum load they published you shouldnt have any issues, i dont know how well sierra bullets are liked for hunting, but i can tell you from my own experiences they will take most anything in north america, i have seen everything from pdogs to moose go down with sierra bullets.

experimenting with different powders and bullets is half of the game, trying something new to see if it works is a good thing, dont be affraid to always be searching for something new and more accurate.

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 07:10
depends, sometimes they will go for up to 10 times some wont live to 5-6 times, i as a rule of thumb use magnums for 5-6 times then i retire them.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 07:20

I'm looking forward  to getting the started.My wife done't but i am going to have fun trying all this new stuff.

Thanks alot for all the info i will keep you posted on the progress and if you think of anything to help me just let me know.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 09:59

Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Don't touch a thing. For accuracy only, try 70grs of IMR-4350 and a good hunting load for me has been 72 grs. (in a bolt gun). If your gun doesn't shoot the 180 BT well it probably needs an excorsist......

Now thats funny.

I recently stumbled onto a Redding Competiton seating die for 300 win mag that should provide very consistent seating depth. One other suggestion is get a primer pocket uniformer and use it to make the primer pockets the same depth - one would think they would already be -- but they aren't. Also use the deburring tool to prep the open end of the case. As far as lube if you just touch a finger to the lube pad thats all the lube you need too much will dent the case. The RCBS electric powder thrower measure is worth its weight in gold. The lyman electric case trimmer is also a nice tool and has a primer pocket cleaner on it as well. And you thought this was going to save you money!

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 10:16

yeah money was going to be saved but out the window with that idea.lol 

Okay i'll look at the die set and powder mesuere and see what i can work out.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 14:12
Ok, I'm going to start charging you for this valuable info. 1 Forget case lube pads, get a couple of cans of Hornady "One Shot" spray on lube. 2. Redding 3 die set. 3.Redding 3BR powder measure. 4. Digital scale (Pact are good). 5.  RCBS Rockchucker press. 6. Redding Powder Trickler. 7. Loading blocks (holds 50 cases usually). 8. Winchester or Lapua brass (Remmy brass sucks so does Federal). One standard issue Remington 700 in 300 WM. 9. Go kill sh*tt.

Edited by Roy Finn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic