OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Fist Spotting Scope Purchase

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heitmann13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fist Spotting Scope Purchase
    Posted: March/06/2007 at 16:10
Leupold Sequoia 15-45x60 Spotting Scope Kit
  I have been looking at this scope, it's right around $350.  This would be my first spotting scope and i was just wondering if anyone has used this kind.  I will mostly be hunting in Wyoming or South Dakota, haven't figured out where I'm going to end up yet. 
  Can anyone offer any information or advice about picking out the right spotting scope.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2007 at 22:23
Ok, look at the resolution of the scope first.  How clear are things a few hundred yards out?  There are lots of cheap high magifications scopes out there that you can not seen through. Resolution will make up for a lose of magification.  OR if the scope is clear, then you can see a lot of things that you will not see even if the magification is cranked up. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2007 at 06:55

The tripod in the kit is a useless tabletop tripod, good for target shooting maybe. If you want to use the scope for hunting you will need a window mount or a real tripod.

As far as the quality of the scope goes: they are one of the worst inexpensive scopes in terms of optical resolution. I've seen a good one, but most are poorly built, or they just use poor glass and poor coatings. I have one that is useable only at 15x, beyond that it is dim and fuzzy.

In that price range, look for Stokes Sandpiper 65mm (and get yourself a good case like the Snug-rug), or a pre-owned Kowa or Pentax.    

The Burris Landmark on salke here at riflescopes.com is pretty much the same thing, it could be better actually - if you are lucky to get a good one, and it costs $150 less.

Edited by anweis
Heitmann13 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heitmann13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2007 at 11:18
   Thanks for the advice.  I looked at the Kowa's and it looks like you need to buy an eye piece if your going to buy one off SWFA, and the Pentax, but i'll have to go somewhere to get my hands on one.  I will also keep my eye on the sample list and maybe something will pop up. 
   Where would be a place to find a Snug-rug and a decent Tri-pod.  What do you need to look for when purchasing a tri-pod?  I appreciate the help you have given me so far
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2007 at 11:34

i know that most spotting scopes are damaged while in transport, so a case is important. The snug rug is sold by a giant store catering to hunters that has an on-line web page. Just type snug rug on google. Pay attention to size (for 65mm scopes or 80mm scopes), and whether they are for angled scopes or for straight scopes.

The tripods that i always suggest are Manfrotto legs with the 3130 Manfrotto head.

This brand is very durable and very well build, and steady, of course.  Pay attention to maximum height of the tripod. For straight scopes you need a higher tripod, for angled scopes you can manage with a smaller tripod. 3001BN legs and 3130 head is a good combination of about $150 - but these legs may be a bit short for a straight scope. It depends on how tall you are also. 

Edited by anweis
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2007 at 13:54
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

The Burris Landmark on sale here at riflescopes.com is pretty much the same thing,

similar to Sequoia, that is.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heitmann13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2007 at 14:49
Starting to think about a Burris Landmark, it will be my first scope and i don't know if i will like using them so i figure this will be able to get me by right now and if i want to upgrade i won't be out an arm and a leg.  Do you know if they have a warranty like the Leupold products do?
  Thanks for everyones help, I appreciate it.

~Could anyone offer me any opinions on what they think of the Landmarks?  Just curious.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2007 at 15:11

The Leupold Sequoia is an interesting scope.  I have read both good and ill about it but, never much in-between.  The kind of seem like a "love 'em or hate 'em" affair. Part of this is likely due to variations between units but, considering the many other good options available, I can't see why you'd want to take the chance.

Personally, I would think you would be much better off with any of the following options:

• 15-30x50 Leupold Gold Ring Compact
  • 15-45x60 Bushnell Elite
  • 15-45x60 Stokes Sandpiper
  • 20-60x60 Bushnell Legend
  • 20-60x60 Vortex Nomad 
  • 15-50x63 Pentax PF63
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heitmann13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2007 at 20:14
   I don't know why but I'm pretty infatuated with the Leupold line.  I like the warrenties and like the fact that it's American made, even though I heard rumors about the Sequoia, I have decided to drop that as a choice.  I am interested in learning more about the 15-30x50 Leupold Gold Ring Compact.
~Once again i would love to hear some information,opinions, or advice about this selection or any other selections.  Can't thank everyone enough for the help.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2007 at 22:45

I only know the 15-30x50 Gold Ring Compact by reputation - which is fantastic.

I own the 10-20x40 Gold Ring Compact and it is an absolutely wonderful little glass. It is uncannily bright, gives very clear images, and really challenges a person's preconceived notions of what should be possible to accomplish with such a diminutive little item. I am sure that part of this is due to the fact that its small size means that it is always with me. It is truly, incredibly small and yet very, very useful. It is not, of course, a replacement for a good, full-sized spotting scope (especially at dawn and/or dusk) but, when hiking around rough country, it is a real dream.

It can be used hand-held with surprising utility and of course, on a small tripod it really shines. At 20x, you will find things that  simply can't be seen with binoculars. I used it last year on a hunting trip in some incredibly steep terrain to spot elk at distances that binoculars simply couldn't handle - which was good because we ended up going after those elk and one of them now fills my freezer.

The 15-30x50 would, I imagine, provide similar levels of performance. It is somewhat larger than mine and in fact, would be both large and powerful enough to reasonably serve as an only spotting scope for a hunter who is not super interested in bird-watching, digiscoping, etc. It won't out-perform larger 60, 70 & 80mm scopes but, you'll take it places where you would never dream of packing those larger units.

Edited by lucznik
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2007 at 09:37
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

It won't out-perform larger 60, 70 & 80mm scopes

It will outperform the Sequoia scopes and other inexpensive ones.

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2007 at 09:45
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

It won't out-perform larger 60, 70 & 80mm scopes

It will outperform the Sequoia scopes and other inexpensive ones.

You're right.  I stand corrected.

What I should have said is that it won't out-perform larger 60, 70 & 80mm scopes of comparable quality.

Edited by lucznik
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic