OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Box Test

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Box Test
    Posted: March/06/2007 at 12:12

What is the Box Test.

i have seen it in the forum but not sure what it is.

I don't mind if you laff at me not knowing but i would like to know.

THANKS

Big

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2007 at 12:36

If I'm understanding the term correctly -

The box test involves shooting a shot (or a small group) at a target and then moving the crosshair adjustments the same distance to the right, down, to the left, and then up (shooting another shot/group each time) to see if, at the end you have shot a "perfect" square and if the last group is centered right on top of the first.  This allows you to see if the scope's adjustments are reliable, repeatable, and  precisely made.

My dad always called this "shooting the square" rather than the "box test" but, I'm assuming they are the same test.

Edited by lucznik
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2007 at 12:40

OKay thanks.

I hav a friend that draws a 6 inch cross and at 100 yards he shoots 3 in top 3 in bottm and 3 letft then 3 right.Then he mesuers the cross.he tells me it is to see if his cross hairs are level.but i have no idea if it's true or not.

i was just woundering if it was the same thing.

Thanks   lucznik  for the info

Big

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2007 at 18:40

Yes, lucznik is correct.  The test determines two things:

1.  Tracking consistency (does the same amount of adjustment produce the same result each time).

2.  POI correction accuracy (whether adjustment increments on turret equals actual POI change on target).

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2007 at 07:50

okay,

So i should zero it in. then go (5 clicks up and 5 clicks to the right and shoot then back to zero) and so on to all 4 sides.to see if it will move like it is supost too

Big

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2007 at 09:29
It doesn't have to be zeroed -- it is random test --  and the numer of clicks doesn't matter as long as they are known, one could do a trapazoid test. A refinement is to do the test at a max range of the elevation (run out) either up or down --It doesn't work for leveling the cross hairs as you now have two horizons to watch for the target level and the scope/gun level. Also 4 clicks or about an inch isn't really enough. Another refinement is to turn the clicks one full turn them back less say 8 clicks --- this will really tell the tracking. But since were on the subject, if a manufacter allows at least 9-10 deg cant in the reticle and your groups are 1 moa at 100 yds. how can you be sure the "box" test is gonna work--- you can't for that scope --- the shot "string" itself will string left to right or right to left, for that scope. A lot of Mark4s do this-- don't use that scope for dial in--- The 6.5x20 monarch I have is right on everytime. Usually high quality scopes that use different types of spindle sets and ball bearing races, that are built for this will show the same results everytime--thats why they are so expensive.

Edited by Dale Clifford
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2007 at 09:30

Oay,

I'll give it a try and see if i can make it work or see what happens.

Thanks

Big

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic