OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rem. Mountain Rifle in .260--Opinion?s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rem. Mountain Rifle in .260--Opinion?s
    Posted: March/06/2007 at 10:39

I've been looking at the Remington Mountain Rifle in .260 online.  They look nice, with wood stock, detachable magazine and roughly 6.5lbs.  I want to buy another deer/hog rifle and am a big fan of the caliber (had an A-Bolt in .260 that I recently sold).

Does anybody have experience with this particular rifle & caliber combo?  Groupings, etc.?  Are there any good aftermarket synthetic stocks that will fit the barrel contour (I'm a huge believer in free floating and bedding the action for best accuracy).

Thanks!

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2007 at 11:22

I have only handled the long action Mountain Rifles and they are sweet. I do have a Model 7 SS in .260 and it is the nicest deer rifle I have ever had.

I am still working with factory loadings and I haven't shot it enough to comment much on accuracy. I haven't broke under an inch yet, but that is still acceptable with this little wand. The recoil is light and there isn't much blast.

That sounds like a very nice stick................Good luck

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2007 at 16:37
i think remington makes the xcr composite stock for the model 7
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2007 at 19:24
Originally posted by ceylonc ceylonc wrote:

I've been looking at the Remington Mountain Rifle in .260 online.  They look nice, with wood stock, detachable magazine and roughly 6.5lbs.  I want to buy another deer/hog rifle and am a big fan of the caliber (had an A-Bolt in .260 that I recently sold).

Does anybody have experience with this particular rifle & caliber combo?  Groupings, etc.?  Are there any good aftermarket synthetic stocks that will fit the barrel contour (I'm a huge believer in free floating and bedding the action for best accuracy).

Thanks!

I have experience with the 700 Mountain Rifle, but not in .260.  I like the newer stock design Rem is using on these rifles a lot.  As with any factory rifle, grouping ability is a roll of the dice -- each factory rifle is unique, and whether you get a really accurate one or a lemon is pure luck.  The MR barrel, like all thin contour barrels, is more sensitive to heat than heavier contours, so groups will usually open up during prolonged or rapid shooting.  This doesn't matter much in a hunting rifle, where you may only fire 1 shot.  Offhand, I don't know of any aftermarket stocks designed specifically for the MR barrel contour, but floating the barrel in a factory Rem 700 stock is simply a matter of wrapping sandpaper around a suitably sized wooden dowel and sanding out the pressure pad in the barrel channel near the forend tip.  You can get unfinished blanks for the MR contour from a couple sources, though.  All Rem 700s with the exception of some heavy barreled Varmint and Tactical models, use a single pressure pad at the end of the barrel channel as part of the bedding.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2007 at 19:24

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i think remington makes the xcr composite stock for the model 7

The Mountain Rifle is a M700.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2007 at 21:06
McMillan makes a copy of the Remmy MR stock. I have one on my 280 Ackley. You can get it with the MR barrel contour or the standard barrel contour which is how I ordered mine. As far as I'm concerned, McMillan makes the best aftermarket synthetic stocks you can buy. Sky is the limit on color choice as well.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2007 at 07:22
No doubt, if you are going with a synthetic stock, it's hard to beat a McMillan.  I wasn't aware they made a stock for the MR barrel contour, but then again, I haven't been searching for one either.  Good advice, Roy!
Ted

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2007 at 07:32
oops i was looking at what tahqua wrote and forgot that he didnt start the thread.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2007 at 08:23

Edited by Roy Finn
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2007 at 10:35
I had a Mountain LSS is .260 that I like a lot; great stock, light weight, good shooter.  I only sold it when I got a Kimber Montana .260.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2007 at 17:11
I know a "mountain" rifle is suppose to be lightweight and compact, hence the 22 inch barrel.  But that is the only reason I bought the Steyr Mannlicher over the Remington, is the former has a 23.5 inch barrel to take better advantage of the cartridge.  Otherwise, the rifle is gorgeous.  While Rifledude is right, you never know how a rifle is going to group when you buy it, I am sure that it will probably be reasonable.  If you could find one in a shop, you could always give them the notice that you have the right to bring it back, if it does not group well, or if they have their own range, have them check it while you watch or shoot it.  Given the caliber, you should be able to find one in a big gun shop that is a left over, since they quit making that caliber.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic