OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

caldwell lead sled

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: caldwell lead sled
    Posted: March/04/2007 at 13:12
is this the only way to fly, i have heard this is the best rest to shoot big magnums out of all the others, anyone have one??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 14:05

They are on sale right now and the reviews are all very positive on them. One guy says he shoots his .458 Lott a bunch from his.

I can't show the site, they also sell optics and are a competitor. Their optics prices are always much higher than SWFA, though.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 14:08
yeah think i know who you are talking about.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ronnie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 14:09

i have one pyro and love it.very steady,solid and reduces recoil to a minimal.i shoot magnums and 3.5'' turkey loads with no problems with recoil.i also never add any weight to mine because i have heard this can cause damage to guns as this transfers nearly all the recoil to the gun itsself.it has two adjustments,front and back.front adjustment has alot of travel and back adjustment is for fine tuning.both only adjust vertically.i do alot of shooting,[just back from shooting} and i really injoy the sled.all you need is good sturdy platform to put it on and your ready to shoot some very tight groups.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 14:14
i have been thinking of buying one and based on all the great reviews from several sights i figured i would ask around here then go buy one if the trend continued here.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 14:14
Originally posted by ronnie ronnie wrote:

i have one pyro and love it.very steady,solid and reduces recoil to a minimal.i shoot magnums and 3.5'' turkey loads with no problems with recoil.i also never add any weight to mine because i have heard this can cause damage to guns as this transfers nearly all the recoil to the gun itsself.it has two adjustments,front and back.front adjustment has alot of travel and back adjustment is for fine tuning.both only adjust vertically.i do alot of shooting,[just back from shooting} and i really injoy the sled.all you need is good sturdy platform to put it on and your ready to shoot some very tight groups.

Excellent point and I would have to agree, though not all recoil energy.

Edited by tahqua
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 14:15
so the guys who add 50# of shot arent doing themselves a favor is what you are telling me
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ronnie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 14:20

im saying your not doing your gun a favor. really cant see why anyone would want to add that much weight.if you sight in your gun with that much weight with no recoil when yoou shoot it out of the sled your point of impact is going to change -not that much but it will change.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 14:22

thats what i meant, i dont need to strap any of my guns down i just want a rock solid rest to shoot off

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ronnie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 14:23
tahque ,notice i said nearly all recoil not all recoil.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 14:29
or am i looking at the wrong tool for the job? i have always used a hoppes bench mounted rest and some sand bags for shooting but i saw the lead sled and thought that looks a lot more steady.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ronnie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 14:37
pyro , i have used the hoppes rest before but the sled is a little more solid and built better.also i still like to shoot off just sand bags for this is the tried and true method.
asphunter View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor

Larry Root

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asphunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 14:39
Yes I have one (the older version now on sale) and it works very well HOWEVER, if you have a
wood stocked rifle of heavy recoil DO NOT use more than 1 bag of shot on the sled or
you may split your stock. It is also advisable to put the sled on a piece of wood with a
laminate surface so it can slide a bit. It does not work well for short folks as it increases the LOP by +1
inch. You will also need a boat cushion under your butt as everything is higher than with normal bags.
Also watch the padding on the butt as it is crap and can fail over time thus putting more stress on your buttplate
and hence stock. All that said it does allow me to shoot 40 rounds of 375 H&H at a sitting with no bruises or other ill
effects. The new model is superior in that it is longer and allows the foreend support to move out.
For real boomers, like 470 doubles, the British style standing bench rest is superior and a lot
easier on the stock.
What we really need is a progressive hydraulic version of the sled like a field piece has. But towing it to the range
might upset the local "protect & serve" crowd.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 14:39
yeah i like the hoppes and bags too, but thought just like everything else, there might be something better out there.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 14:40
300 wsm is all the bigger a rifle i shoot so its nothing that kicks to bad like a 465-500 nitro
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 14:42
yeah i imagine they wouldnt like it if you touched off the howitzer that close to town
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ronnie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 14:48
pyro thats what i just got thru shooting on mine was a 300wsm.trying out some different ammo.you will not have to worry about recoil with 300wsm with the sled and no weight added.also adding a good reccoil pad ,like sims,will help make it a little easier on the gun in the sled.
asphunter View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor

Larry Root

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asphunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 14:49
With one bag in the 308/30-06/300mags. it really comes into it's own. the rifle is
not getting beat up and the felt recoil is like a 223. No flinch =s better shooting.
I even use mine for 22 RF as it is very "repeatable" unlike bags where you have to
diddle around a bit for each successive shot. Varmint foreends are a problem
as the front rest is a bit narrow.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 14:55
my 300 wsm isnt to bad after about 5 shells in a row you do tend to put it down and shoot something else for a bit
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 15:02

Originally posted by ronnie ronnie wrote:

tahque ,notice i said nearly all recoil not all recoil.

Sorry, I should post this in what does everyone here look like, but here's the latest pic of me

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic