OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR 4-14X50 questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billiam13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR 4-14X50 questions
    Posted: March/03/2007 at 22:57
I am looking at getting an IOR 4-14X50 for my main hunting rifle, However I have one major concearn. I am scared that the MP8 reticle will not be good for low light situations . I hunt Deer in thick woods and need to be able to see till the very last minute. Does anyone have any experience with this reticle in low light? we do some night hunting here for preditors in Mo. We are not allowed to use lights at all so we can only use the full moon. I am scared that I will have problems seeing that reticle in the absence of good light. What do you guys think? I will probably get the illuminated  reticle, but if I am on a hunting trip and the illuminated feature quits working, will it be the same as the MP8 that isnt illuminated or is there a difference. I guess what I am asking is if there is any differance between the illuminated and the un-illuminated MP8 reticle, if the illuminated reticle has its illumination turned off ???                                                                                                                                                                                                                Thanks Guys 
billiam13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billiam13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 09:03
Dont tell me that none of you have experience with lowlight hunting with this reticle??
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 09:21

Originally posted by billiam13 billiam13 wrote:

I am looking at getting an IOR 4-14X50 for my main hunting rifle, However I have one major concearn. I am scared that the MP8 reticle will not be good for low light situations . I hunt Deer in thick woods and need to be able to see till the very last minute. Does anyone have any experience with this reticle in low light? we do some night hunting here for preditors in Mo. We are not allowed to use lights at all so we can only use the full moon. I am scared that I will have problems seeing that reticle in the absence of good light. What do you guys think? I will probably get the illuminated  reticle, but if I am on a hunting trip and the illuminated feature quits working, will it be the same as the MP8 that isnt illuminated or is there a difference. I guess what I am asking is if there is any differance between the illuminated and the un-illuminated MP8 reticle, if the illuminated reticle has its illumination turned off ???                                                                                                                                                                                                                Thanks Guys 

I have an IOR 35mm 6x24 50mm with illuminated MP8 reticle.  Honestly, I think I've actually turned the reticle "ON" maybe 6 or 7 times since I bought the scope a year ago.  I can't tell a difference in size or dimensions between illuminated and non-illuminated MP8 reticles.  I am a HUGE fan of the MP8 as one of it's main assets is the fine lines used to composed the reticle (along with the tiny center "dot").  This is going to better serve you in an open environment during daylight hours obviously.  You can turn the illumination feature "ON" at dusk but really only the lowest setting is usuable in a hunting situation.  I don't think scope designers (with the lone exception being S&B) have really been able to perfect the illuminated reticle for hunting situations so that the the light from the reticle doesn't interfere with the total sight picture that late in the evening.

Hope this helps.  I'm a huge fan of my IOR and I imagine you'll fall in love with one too.

billiam13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billiam13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 10:00
Thanks for the info. I guess my need to know is if the scope turned on at its lowest setting will work well for super low light work in bib woods at the end of shooting hours. I sthe reticle too bright even at its lowest setting, to where it is going to wash out the animal, or blind me. Has anyone been succesfully useing this illuminated reticle to take game at super low light???    Thanks Guys
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 11:51

Thanks for the info. I guess my need to know is if the scope turned on at its lowest setting will work well for super low light work in bib woods at the end of shooting hours. I sthe reticle too bright even at its lowest setting, to where it is going to wash out the animal, or blind me. Has anyone been succesfully useing this illuminated reticle to take game at super low light???    Thanks Guys

I haven't had the problem you describe with my scope's reticle illumination.  I can't say with 100% certainty that this problem won't come up because low light conditions vary based on terrain, moonlight, targeted animal in question, background, etc.  I will say that, in the fields on south Alabama, I've been able to see the target with the illumination turned ON but that's not to say that this will always be the case...

I know, a very wishy-washy answer, but I don't want to mislead you that there are any absolutes that you can count on with an illuminated reticle.

canine View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2007 at 08:37

I just bought the IOR 4-15 X 50 Tactical  ill MP8 An I have not mounted it to the gun as of yet.  But so far my experience with taking it outside at twilight and beyond shows the reticle to be is questionable.  The illumination at its lowest setting is still very bright.  Thw MP8 reticle does begin to fade with the light as it is very fine.  There becomes a point in the evening that the reticle is not enough and the illumination is kind of bright.  The glass however is excellent and the visibility at twilight and beyond is amazing.  I still need more time to check this out. I am calling Val today at IOR to see if the illuminated 4A dot can be put in this scope.

Please don't take the post the wrong way, like I said I have alot more testing to do, but it is something to keep in mind.  If all you are interested in is a low light hunting scope, and not long range precision, Look at the Meopta Meostar 3-12 X 56 Illuminated German #4 dot.  It is an excellent low light scope and the illumination when turned to the lowest setting is just a dim glow.  You will be impressed. 

Edited by canine
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2007 at 14:33

I have this scope and did some predator hunting with it this past weekend.  Although I didn't shoot anything, I found the reticle to be usable in low light at the lowest (# 1) setting.  I do wish the illum adjustment would go a tad dimmer, though.  Though the MP8 is an excellent reticle that allows extreme precision shooting, it is so thin it will disappear in low light without the illumination.  The twilight performance of this scope's optics is outstanding.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
billiam13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billiam13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2007 at 22:35
Thanks guys!!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2007 at 09:18
billiam, you wouldn't happen to have the Jeff Foxworthy "Incomplete Deer Hunter" (I forget which one) video would you?  The reason I ask is there's a skit on it involving a deer head and caribou antlers entered into a big buck contest with a character named "Billiam."
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
ots03 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ots03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 17:44
IOR is a EUROPEAN FIRST QUALITY SCOPE.....so like ALL the europeans they perform better in low lights than american/japan scopes (in europe is legal ..and normal hunt at night so the scopes must have exelent low light performance), anyway you have two options....get a thin reticle with illumination or buy a scope without illumination with a reticle for night use ...like the Number 1 or number 4 german reticles (ior not offer in usa this reticles...probably zeiss, khales or other euro brand do ). I prefer the illuminated reticle....it NEVER FAILS to me
canine View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2007 at 07:14

Sorry guys, Got to tell ya I sent the IOR 4-14X 50 Tactical back to SWFA.  I really liked the reticle design, although it just did not suite my needs for a low light hunter.   PM me if you need more of an explanation. 

Sorry ots03, but I have to disagree with your observations.  the MP8 reticle is to thin to see just after twilight and the illumination in the first setting is to bright.  It makes the MP8 to buisy and distorting IMO!!! 

If you want to see a bright scope, look at the Meopta Meostar R1 RD 3-12 X 56 with ill. #4 dot.

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2007 at 08:38
Originally posted by canine canine wrote:

Sorry guys, Got to tell ya I sent the IOR 4-14X 50 Tactical back to SWFA.  I really liked the reticle design, although it just did not suite my needs for a low light hunter.   PM me if you need more of an explanation. 

Sorry ots03, but I have to disagree with your observations.  the MP8 reticle is to thin to see just after twilight and the illumination in the first setting is to bright.  It makes the MP8 to buisy and distorting IMO!!! 

If you want to see a bright scope, look at the Meopta Meostar R1 RD 3-12 X 56 with ill. #4 dot.

Well, to each their own.  It sounds like the IOR didn't work for your needs & wants. 

Glad to hear you found a scope that will work for you.  I appreciate you taking the time to keep us updated.  Your thoughts & opinions are certainly valued.

Best of luck to you & keep us informed on the Meopta.

ots03 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ots03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2007 at 16:56

Well you need a scope for woods hunting and low light (full moon ) hunting....

The best reticles for this hunting are the number 1 and number 4 with thick post, iluminated or not !!

So...why do you want a tactical rangefinder reticle ?

IOR 4-14x50 offer exelent features (including one of the best glass on the market) but it is designed for long range/target/tactical/varmint use. If you choose the iluminated model it can be used in low light hunting  (anyway...tactical use includes night and low light"enemy hunting" so, why it cant be used to kill a boar or deer ?).

If you think that the illumination is too powerfull  ..even in the first setting (I dont think so) put a half used batery.

I recomend meopta too (I use meopta since 16 years ago..they are good hunting scopes, the glass is decent they are rugged and they are cheap (to be an european product), in my country their 6x42, 7x50 and 4x32 (allways with N1 and N4 reticles)are the TOP choice of budget hunter.

heiniger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heiniger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2011 at 16:43
hi there
i have the 4-14x50 ultra 40mm tube with a mp8 dot ret. I do alot of shooting in the dark and found myself really struggling with it. close in it was ok with light on or off but out at a fair distance the dot dissapeared when it wasn't illuminated and the fox or deer dissapeared when it was. Quite upset that my new 1000 pound scope was doing this i then decided to get to work flattening the batteries. Pretty lame!!! But now i have got a stash of half done batteries the scope is easier to use in low or spotlight conditions than any thing else ive seen. I hope this helps.

lets have some better illumination settings you romanians!      
you havent shot much if you haven't missed much!!
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2011 at 17:03
I was toying with the idea of getting one of these in.. but I HATE a bright reticle at it's dimmest setting....

S&B has it right and frankly so does the new Leupold Firedot

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2011 at 00:47
I have 3 IOR scopes including a 4x14.

I think that IOR is more clear that Leupold, but less color.

I have shot lots of deer in the dark before dawn, but I have not hunted with IOR scopes.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2011 at 01:23
Interesting how this four year old thread got resurrected out of the blue...

For what it is worth, IOR's new digital illumination works much better in low light that the earlier system.

ILya
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2011 at 06:24
Originally posted by Clark Clark wrote:

I have shot lots of deer in the dark before dawn, but I have not hunted with IOR scopes.

Really.

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2011 at 13:52
Originally posted by Clark Clark wrote:

Near Seattle?
Yikes!
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic