OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pistol cartridges in rifles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmjacket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pistol cartridges in rifles
    Posted: March/02/2007 at 09:53

Hello everyone,

Indiana may allow us deer hunters to use rifles chambered for pistol rounds this year. The round must have a diameter of no less than .357, minimum case length of 1.16, and a maximum case length of 1.625. I'm almost to the point of forgetting about it and continuing to use my slug gun. Anyway I know the 454 casull falls within these guidelines however the only repeating rifle I can find that is chambered for it is the Puma levergun. Does anyone make a scope mount for this '92 action? Also if anybody knows of any other repeater chambered for this round or another similarly powerful round that falls within these guidelines I would like to know. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

A place for everything and everything all over the place!
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2007 at 10:53

44 magnum is a good deer round inside 100 yards. fun to shoot and fairly accurate.

J

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2007 at 10:55
Have used the 357 and 44 mag in Marlins lever carbines--extensively-- 454 would be good, except I have serious problem with a falling block lock up on such a high intensity cartridge. The 7x30 Waters beats any of these hands down in a lever gun. Weaver makes a good 92 mount. Personally I would keep the slug gun, 2-3 inch groups are not uncommon and at 100yds thats good enough

Edited by Dale Clifford
asphunter View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor

Larry Root

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asphunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2007 at 11:05
A Marlin 1894 in 44 Magnum will kill any deer you care to. it also allows a low central scope mounting (if you need a scope)
i had the puma in 454, it was okay but the GD safety on the bolt was a pain and scope mounting was not possible except a
scout type rig. load the 44 with a good jacketed controlled expansion bullet or even better a 300 gr hardcast and a deer will
drop as if struck by lightining with little meat loss. the plan you describe is a hoot, sound like typical govt. fools whose
experience with guns extends no farther than reruns of NYPD Blue.
p.s. unless the 50 yard advantage of a rifle is important, a scope rifled slug gun is a lot more deadly machine out to 100
yards.

fmjacket View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmjacket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2007 at 13:03
Thanks for the input. I know the restrictions will make it tough to be able to do what I want. My area is flat were some shots could be 200 plus yards. I'm a rifle guy and have twenty. You can imagine my frustration being restricted to shotguns. As for the 7 x 30 waters, that would be out because it is only .284 cal. .357 minimum is required. With my slug gun I am not at a disadvantage up to 100 yard but would like to be able to shoot at greater distances.
A place for everything and everything all over the place!
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2007 at 13:47
the 7x30 is considered a rifle cart.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic