OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I need some help guys ( scope selection)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billiam13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need some help guys ( scope selection)
    Posted: March/01/2007 at 21:47
I hope this isnt too long, but here it goes. I am looking for a scope for my sako greywolf 270wsm. The problem is the only real quality scope I have is a zeiss conquest 4-14X44. I will be hunting antilope in wyoming this year,and am looking for a scope that can be dialed into distances rangeing from 100- 650 yards. I need a scope that has external turrets that can be adjusted without removeing the turret caps. It needs to be just as good of quality or better than my conquest, and the reticle tracking must repeat perfectly, because it will be adjusted constantly, so reliable repeteability is a must. I was thinking maybe an IOR around the same power as my conquest only a 50 mm objective and 30mm tube instead of 1 inch. I want a scope that gathers as much light as possible. I dont want to spend more than 1000 if I dont have to, and would like to spend less, if possible.I am open to any sugestions. My friend tries to talk me into a boon and crokett leupold, but I think dialing in after rangefinding is a better way than approximate holdover What do you guys think?  What about the nikon tacticle its only a 10 power but has external turrets.Thanks for the help in advance.

Edited by billiam13
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 21:54
unless you really are planning on challenging yourself you will be able to shoot antelope at distances less than 650, they are dumb enough to run along-side the truck out in the sage brush, if you cant get a shot closer than 150 yards i would be very surprised.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
smitty47 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitty47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 22:10

Though I agree that 650 yards is a VERY long shot when hunting big game, and I would not take such a shot myself, I will try to answer your question on the face of it and withy the distance you mentioned in mind.

First off, many people mistakenly believe that optics gather light. That is a mistaken description of a scope's task. A scope transmits ambient light, rather than pulling it in from around. better glass generally transmits more light. This is an important distinction to keep in mind when assessing a scope's characteristics.

Now, as for recommendations, I would suggest a Sightron SIII 4.5-14 MilDot, Burris Black Diamond or XTR, or an IOR (as you alluded to).

As far as hold vs. dialing in your elevation, if this set-up is going to be used for hunting, holding over will be quicker and (if you take teh time to calibrate your reticle to your load) will be sufficiently accurate for a shot on big game AT HUNTING RANGES. This brings into play the question of the distance of your shot. If you seriously intend to take a shot at an animal at 650 yards, though I would not advise it, you had better dial in your elevation (for the animal's sake)because wind and drop become more critical past about 300-400 yards. I would advise to use holds, spend some time calibrating your reticle, and get in reasonable range before you pull the trigger.

Exterior Ballistics held equal, he who shoots last shoots best (or just had better optics)
billiam13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billiam13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 22:25
Ok guys , I asked foe advise on optics, Not ethical shooting. I am sure that I will not take a shot at a lope that far. We do some distance shooting in the summer months and typicly shoot at up to 875, which is the longest shot we can get on our property. The problem is I have a 308 built up with a fixed power scope that is sited in for that exact distance. I think it would be great to get a good setup for my upcoeing hunt. If the wind is right and I get comfortable with my new weapon, I have no problem takeing shots to about 450. I hope this doesnt make anyone mad. I just want to nip this in the but now. I shoot almost every weekend, and am probably as deadly with my current setup at 875, as some are at 175. I am an ethical hunter, not a dingaling.  Thanks for all the input guys, keep it comeing.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 22:59

Originally posted by billiam13 billiam13 wrote:

I hope this isnt too long, but here it goes. I am looking for a scope for my sako greywolf 270wsm. The problem is the only real quality scope I have is a zeiss conquest 4-14X44. I will be hunting antilope in wyoming this year,and am looking for a scope that can be dialed into distances rangeing from 100- 650 yards. I need a scope that has external turrets that can be adjusted without removeing the turret caps. It needs to be just as good of quality or better than my conquest, and the reticle tracking must repeat perfectly, because it will be adjusted constantly, so reliable repeteability is a must. I was thinking maybe an IOR around the same power as my conquest only a 50 mm objective and 30mm tube instead of 1 inch. I want a scope that gathers as much light as possible. I dont want to spend more than 1000 if I dont have to, and would like to spend less, if possible.I am open to any sugestions. My friend tries to talk me into a boon and crokett leupold, but I think dialing in after rangefinding is a better way than approximate holdover What do you guys think?  What about the nikon tacticle its only a 10 power but has external turrets.Thanks for the help in advance.

A IOR 4-14x50 would be a good choice for your intended application. Best of luck and keep us posted.

billiam13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billiam13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 23:25
Thanks for the info guys the IOR seems to be the one, but the ones here dont come with target turrets. They show them on the IOR website, but the ones here have turret caps on them. Also has anyone seen the mp8 reticle. Is it any good in low light. I see that i can send my conquest in and get target turrets put on it. That may be an option, but I think the IOR may be a better scope opticly than the conquest!! Also the MP8 would be nice for doeing wind  and quick holdover shots. Thanks Guys
senewell View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senewell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 23:30
The Kahles Helia CS may be an interesting choice for you.  It allows you to zero your rifle at 5 different ranges that you will be able to chose from quickly when shooting.  Of course it costs about $1,700 and seems a bit complicated, but I'm sure that someone who practices as much as you will master it quickly.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-6683-286-new-kahles-3-12x56-helia-cs- multizero-30mm-riflescope.aspx

The New Nikon 4-16x50 Monarch X 30mm w/mil-dot looks like it may be a perfect choice for you @ $999.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-6980-222-new-nikon-4-16x50-monarch-x- 30mm-riflescope.aspx

The Leupold 6.5-20x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm w/tactical milling reticle would be that cats ass for the kind of ranges that you are talking about.  It costs $1,124.95.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-3681-297-leupold-65-20x50-mark-4-lrt- 30mm-riflescope.aspx

My immigration policy: "Good fences equal good neighbors," and lining the border with snipers equals no immigration problem.
smitty47 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitty47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2007 at 00:06

Billiam,

Sorry if I came across as questioning your ethics. That was not my intention. Though it is not my style, I am aware that there are those who enjoy long range hunting, but usually with a caliber packing more punch than a 270wsm and with a bunch of other specialty equipment (portable benches, etc) to make sure those shots are delivered to precisely POI. I suppose it was the setup you were suggesting that I was confused about, but... hey.... this is an optics forum, right?

Didn't mean to hijack the thread and I hope you get some more advice on your scope selection.

I, myself, am in the market for an IOR, mainly for it's MP-8 reticle also. That is one sweet reticle for hold-over... should have enough travel along the vertical stadia to get you out to 875 with your load,if you wanted (and farther). Plus, it has subtensions between mils for even more precise holds and ranging. Let me know your thoughts on it if you pick one up before I do. I'll be sure to do the same.

Exterior Ballistics held equal, he who shoots last shoots best (or just had better optics)
billiam13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billiam13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2007 at 09:14
Thanks Smitty, I need to find one somewhere around KC MO so that I can check out the mp8 I am scared that I wont like it in lowlight situations, but not for sure. I will let you know though if I get one. It is the maie one that I am looking at. Im going to see if I can find one in a store localy, if I do, and like it than I will still order it here, as I am sure it will be cheaper here.   Thanks again....
asphunter View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor

Larry Root

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asphunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2007 at 10:45
If you are hunting Antelope in WY and not hunting overused public land, getting within 2-300 yards is not a problem given
proper camo (desert ghost) and gun camo. typical methods are spot and stalk using ground terrain as cover and stake outs
near a water hole or on migration paths. we have had zillions of antelope walk by at 25 yards when in a proper hide along a
migration route. depending on your budget, a 3-9 or something close will work fine. keep you low end power no greater
than 3 as real close shots are not uncommon. you dont need a complex reticule to add confusion at a critical moment. a
mature buck has a 12"x12" vital area (being consevative) and any 308 and up class cartridge will shoot into that when
sighted in to be 3" high at 100, out to 300 yards so you should not have to mess with your elevation adjustments at all. the
severe dry spell of the past decade has affected horn size a lot, so a 13" buck is very acceptable.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2007 at 11:15

Not gonna do a scope thing -- but I am going to take issue with the the dumb antelope. Don't confuse curosity for dumb. Your dealing with an animal that has 6x binoc for eyes, 4 times the surface area in its bone shafts, compared to other animals in its size and weight class, an air tube 3x times the dia. and almost 2x the broncial surface area. It can hit 60 faster than my SS camaro, turn on a dime and loves nothing more than a good race. It's biggest down fall is it's curosity and anything red. There are many good techniques. So when you see the does sitting on a hillside there will be a big buck 600 to 1000 yds on the opposite hill. Jump in your truck drive away, over a hill, wait 5 mins. turn around a go back over the same hill , he will be there about 100 yds of the road. Or sneak on him with a red hanky tied on long stick, waving it over the crest of the hill every so often. They can be pulled into handgun range.

The current set you have is about ideal-- not going to get into hunting them with 50's at 1000 yd. too controversial, but to say it works great.

Forgot to add, a good antelope head mount in the 17-20 inchs with a white heart shaped chest is as pretty as any.

Edited by Dale Clifford
billiam13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billiam13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2007 at 21:01
Thanks guys, some friends of mine have went the last couple of years, and unfortunately had to make pretty long shots. They have always hunted public ground, and say that there is no way to get close to them, because there is sooooo much pressure that the lopes are already spooky. They say that the closest shot they had last year was about 200. They said they saw several out around 500 or so, but that they couldnt get any closer. Only one of the 3 guys felt comfortable at that distance. There will be 2 of us this year, and we are prepareing for the worst. we are going to research and put in for public areas monday morning.     I will put an offer to anyone who has access to Wyoming land. I have some great turkey hunting here in Mo. Thanks for all the help guys.  Bill
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2007 at 22:23
Trophy can be taken in the Casper area just above Rawlins, or below Rock Springs to Browns Ferry at the Colorado border. Sometimes, depending on the snow Farson to the old mining town of Atlantic city, will show good horns. Try to get close to hay fields.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic