OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

VX-1 2-7x28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VX-1 2-7x28
    Posted: February/28/2007 at 19:32

Does any have one of these and what do you think of it? I have a Ruger 77/22 and currently have a Simmons 4x32 that I want to upgrade (The Simmons I have on it hits the bolt at the eye piece, going to just put it on an older Rem I have).  Did the search here and found alot of different views for on scopes but if some one has this gun with good scope options plz let me know. Just using it for small game and some target shooting. 

Thanks, Tim

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2007 at 21:36

I have a Burris 4x32 on mine.  For the money I would get a nikon or bushnell. 60 bucks more gets you a Bushnell 4200 3x9.

Edited by silver
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 17:49
[QUOTE=silver]

I have a Burris 4x32 on mine.  For the money I would get a nikon or bushnell. 60 bucks more gets you a Bushnell 4200 3x9.

[/QUOTE
on the 4200.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2007 at 17:26
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

The 4200 3x9 scope is not a good choice for a rimfire because it is parallax adjusted for 100 yards and is thus intended for centerfire use.  For a rimfire, you should select either a purpose built 50-yd parallax rimfire scope or a scope with A/O allowing parallax adj. down to rimfire shooting distances.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Badland View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2007 at 17:34
RifleDude, good post!  Learned something here, I'll put that in the memory bank. Thanks, Tim 
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2007 at 21:00
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

The 4200 3x9 scope is not a good choice for a rimfire because it is parallax adjusted for 100 yards and is thus intended for centerfire use.  For a rimfire, you should select either a purpose built 50-yd parallax rimfire scope or a scope with A/O allowing parallax adj. down to rimfire shooting distances.

Rifledude,

What you said is true, on paper. So... let us look at the rimfire rifle.  How much parallax do you have at 25 yards? Now as I get past fifty yards,  then I get closer to, not futher to, my parallax setting. So, as I take longer shots I will have less parallax...  As I am closer I have less deviation. because of range.  If you are not shooting 50BR, then the wind will be more important.

Now, there are three makers of REAL .22 scopes, the "L"word, Kahles, and Zeiss.  There are some 2x7 Kahles .22 AH's on the sample list, maybe even some Zeiss stuff too.  For the money the "L" word want's, and all you get is a VX-1, you gotta be kidding!!! 

I can hit an egg at 150 yards and not worry about parallax.  Wind yes, parallax no... As a pratical matter, most of the time you are too close for it to matter.

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

asphunter View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor

Larry Root

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asphunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2007 at 22:59
go on ebay and look at some of the older classics. here's a flat new El Paso Weaver I just bought for
around 80 bucks shipped with CH & dot. it's going on a 22 rf.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2007 at 07:26

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Rifledude,

What you said is true, on paper. So... let us look at the rimfire rifle.  How much parallax do you have at 25 yards? Now as I get past fifty yards,  then I get closer to, not futher to, my parallax setting. So, as I take longer shots I will have less parallax...  As I am closer I have less deviation. because of range.  If you are not shooting 50BR, then the wind will be more important.

Now, there are three makers of REAL .22 scopes, the "L"word, Kahles, and Zeiss.  There are some 2x7 Kahles .22 AH's on the sample list, maybe even some Zeiss stuff too.  For the money the "L" word want's, and all you get is a VX-1, you gotta be kidding!!! 

I can hit an egg at 150 yards and not worry about parallax.  Wind yes, parallax no... As a pratical matter, most of the time you are too close for it to matter.

I find the 100 yard fixed parallax setting to be a huge distraction for the typical 15 - 50 yard shooting I typically do with .22 rimfires, especially when squirrel hunting, so I'd have to disagree.  At 50 yards I do indeed find parallax is a problem for precision shooting with a scope set for 100 yard parallax.  Regardless, even if you can manage it, it limits your shooting precision somewhat, and it still isn't ideal for a rimfire.  But, to each his own.  When you're shooting at 150 yards, of course you don't worry about parallax, as that is within the typical CF shooting scenario a 100 yd parallax scope is intended to be used for -- but it isn't a typical .22 RF shooting distance.

I lament the lack of real high quality .22 RF hunting scopes after the Kahles AH 2-7X36 rimfire was discontinued. 

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Cajun Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cajun Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2007 at 15:42

I bought a Nikon Monarch 2-7x32 (6510) for my 22mag.  What kind of real issues will I have. It is a 100yd parallax scope?  I  got a good deal on it so I picked it up.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2007 at 16:22
.22mag is less of an issue because it offers the capability to stretch shooting distances out to 75, 100 yards and slightly beyond due to increased velocity and the use of jacketed bullets.  I don't think it's ever good advice to suggest a fixed 100yd parallax CF model scope for a .22 LR, since most of the shooting will be at 50 yards and under.
Ted

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2007 at 18:00

Parallax for precision shooting does matter at 25 yards, for sure. Depends on what your using it for. I have a B&L 4X Balfor on a 10/22 Ruger sighted in @ 50 yards. Head shots are no problem on coons @ 25 yards. Pop cans aren't a problem out to 80 either. This is not precision, though. If you are punching paper or shooting squirrels in the head I would follow RD's suggestion.

I have a 77/22 in the target version wearing a 3.5-10X50 VariX-III that is an A.O. model. Since it is a night time coyote gun I don't mess with it much. When I'm at the 100 yard range it's set on 100. For hunting I bring it back a bit. Shots are generally close and they turn coons and oposums inside out with body shots. Once again, this isn't precision but I still use the A.O. feature.

Edited by tahqua
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 21:22

Have had that compact 2x7 for about 10 years, before it come a vx something or other. Use it to work up loads on by 416 ( and 25 lb bag of shot over the barrel) and as a carrying handle on same gun. Will work great for you. The only thing it doesn't is help sort out which loads are the most accurate in the particular 22 you are using.

In which case the 3X9 EF works better--- Mod.52B  Winchester

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2007 at 22:46
As always Dale, very nice gun. This one really sticks out, though. This is the nicest all around .22 I have seen. Everything is perfect about it.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2007 at 10:21
Thanks for the compliment-- it shoots
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic