OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Big Cat Tales

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 09:44

I'm with the others on this one:

That cat would not have lived to leave my doorstep. 

I'm pretty sure it would not have been difficult to  (if necessary) convince just about any warden/policeman/jury around that the animal was indeed posing an imminent threat to the children.

Edited by lucznik
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 09:52
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

I'm with the others on this one:

That cat would not have lived to leave my doorstep. 

So how would you make the shot?

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 09:54

Thats a good question....

I'm not sure if i would have opened the door a little or not the cat looked kinda mad.might would have tryed a sneak around well maybe not lol tuff one to answer not knowing how the house is layed out closes window ect....

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 11:14

Silver,

I'm assuming your are asking the question because the cat is seen in the pictures behind glass and you're assumption is that the shot needs to be made without damaging said glass. In reality, I don't think I would personally care about the damage to the door - that can be repaired much more easily than mauled, killed kids.  So, I would just shoot him with buckshot right where he stands.

However, to address the specific issue of your your question and assuming that damage to the house is undesireable I would say that, not knowing the exact layout of the house in question, I don't know how the shot would be made.  Were this cat on my doorstep however, the layout of my home would make such a shot rather easy.  All I would need to do would be to crack open a side portion of one of the bay windows.   Though again, I don't think I would bother.

Considering the guy managed at least three photos with the cat in different positions on the doorstep each time, there would certainly have been enough time to get the crosshairs on him.

Edited by lucznik
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 17:57

On the subject of animals seen WAY outside their normally accepted habitats, someone sent me these game camera pics of a small black bear in the South Texas brush country, eating corn from a deer feeder.  Supposedly, the location is just south of Sanderson, TX...

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 18:32

Silver,

I'm assuming your are asking the question because the cat is seen in the pictures behind glass and you're assumption is that the shot needs to be made without damaging said glass. In reality, I don't think I would personally care about the damage to the door - that can be repaired much more easily than mauled, killed kids.  So, I would just shoot him with buckshot right where he stands.

However, to address the specific issue of your your question and assuming that damage to the house is undesireable.

Trying to make a hole in multiple layers of glass and get the point of impact on kitty is not a sure thing.  That is the problem I see. You would most likely  have blown the door out and not gotten the hit needed for the cat. So now, you would have blown a hole throught the glass door in the middle of winter during a snow storm... And kitty would have taken off, but for how long? You have a hole that would take a week to fix, and a lot of nagging doubt, unless you have a dead cat.

You're first reaction to the picture was the same as mine, I have to admit. My next reaction was "What about the shards of glass flying around?".  I then thought, Ok I have just made a BIG hole, what if it is not dead yet? What if I have just made it mad? I know shoot again, but when it is now in you lap and NOT purring...

Could  a shot have been made from another window and made it throught the deck? We won't know.  It looked like a double wide, so get out the window to make the shot could be very tight.

I find the question how would you make the shot, much more important, than say what caliber? As you noted the guy got three differant pictures of the thing, AND it did not run off after the first one.

WWW.formitch.com

Beaudean View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaudean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2007 at 18:40

If that cat woulda gotten to my kids....... he wouldn't a stood a chance.  They da broke em in short order and blamed somebody else.

Lucky cat!

Edited by Beaudean
ROCKMAN57 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROCKMAN57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2007 at 10:20

Cat problem?

Easy,get a dog.My dog's name is BOOGER.I like to call him Sugar Bear.He's half reg. rotty and half reg. yellow lab and weighs about 160#s as of last trip to the vets.He looks like a Big black lab with no rotty markings except for the extra large head.Problem is he would have gone through the glass after that cat.Yes he is a house dog and he loves my kids and would die for them I gaurantee.Only problem I have is keeping him in dogfood.The cat would have had two choices.Run or try n kill the dog.That would give me time to arm myself and try n kill the cat.I believe I would have opted for the 12ga with some buckshot.No handgun for me in this scenario.LOL

But would still be dealin with a broken glass?Hmmmmmmmmmm

Give tha dang cat tha kids?Talk about  your animal cruelty.Tha treesavers would be beatin down my dang door.

HEHEHEHEHE

This was only my opinion and does not represent the opinion of SWFA or anyone else that I know of.

Rock

Walk softly,keep the wind in your face and watch your back
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2007 at 16:42

Just got another e-mail about a mountain lion being in an area where they are not thought to exist.

-----------------------------------------------------

Cougar at (Texas) Lake Belton, Morgan's Point on March 19, 2007

We all knew that there were a pair of cougars running around the lake, someone finally got a picture, taken March 19, 2007. What a beautiful animal. Luckily deer are in big supply where we live so no one is really in danger. Enjoy!!! Wildlife meets lake people.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2007 at 20:35
i dont know chris, mountain lions have attacked people before i wouldnt say people are safe.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2007 at 21:32

My words are above the ----------------------------- the words below it are from the sender of the e-mail that is going around.  I don't think the photo is even real because of the direction of the lighting and the fact that the picture taker is so close and the lion is not even looking his direction.

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2007 at 18:44

I don't know...

The sky is overcast thus, there's not a lot to indicate light direction.  The photographer could also be using a telephoto lens. 

I'm not saying it's real, just that it isn't a completely obvious fake. 

(BTW: If it is faked, it's a pretty decent photoshop job.)

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2007 at 21:23

Photo shop Kitty had been photoshoped, as has been the stairs.  See the detail in the fence and not the bushes, but kitty's whiskers.  Kitty color has been tweaked and has been the sharpness.  No the detail of the stairs, well kinda sorto of... it is like it has a new grey coat of paint and is sharp, but yet you do not see the treads, that we all know are there. Also see how sharp the railings look compared to the bush next to it . Depth of field does not work like that.  Neither does lighting  

WWW.formitch.com

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 14:01

I don't know silver, I'm still not quite sure. 

I had someone else look at it who is quite the Photoshop guru and even he wasn't willing to call it one way or the other.  The lines around the cat are quite noticeably lacking in stray elements that usually are there when there's a cut and paste job.  Also, I don't see whiskers on the cat but rather just the jaw/neckline which is lighter in color. BTW, for me slight adjustments in color, contrast, lighting levels, sharpness, etc. don't really count as they are not changing the basic content of the picture. 

Again, I'm not claiming it to be authentic.  I'm just not quite ready to declare it a fake either. And if faked, it was done by someone with some pretty good Photoshop skills.

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 16:10

I went to Google/Images and entered mountain lion as my key word search and you'll never guess what showed up!!!

So many of these "Big Cat Tales" are urban legends and with the Internet and Photoshop people can take these legends to the HNL (Mad TV reference).

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 16:45

I don't know silver, I'm still not quite sure. 

I had someone else look at it who is quite the Photoshop guru and even he wasn't willing to call it one way or the other.  The lines around the cat are quite noticeably lacking in stray elements that usually are there when there's a cut and paste job.  Also, I don't see whiskers on the cat but rather just the jaw/neckline which is lighter in color. BTW, for me slight adjustments in color, contrast, lighting levels, sharpness, etc. don't really count as they are not changing the basic content of the picture. 

Again, I'm not claiming it to be authentic.  I'm just not quite ready to declare it a fake either. And if faked, it was done by someone with some pretty good Photoshop skills.

I suck at photoshop... yet I have been working working with photography for over twenty years.  I used to to all sorts of outdoor stuff, including macro, which is where depth of field is your real friend. 

So maybe the short course is in order... Lots of people do not understand depth of field, other do not understand its many uses.  The shutter controls the amount of light that come in. Open wide and it come in faster (think sports shots) Open small and light takes longer to fill the film or scensor.  That wee small opening also helps keep more of the image in focus.  Depth of field is my friend when I have to photograph a large crowd of people, a specailty that the company I work for does. You want to be able to see everybodies face from the first to the back row. 

The lense lets you adjust where the focus starts.  There is a reason that I do not focus on the very first row of people, but one or two back.  From that starting point you have some much in focus in front of the object you are focusing on and so much behind.  Think of it as 1/4 in front and 3/4 behind.  So three feet in front of the object and fifteen behind it. As I crank in more f-Stops the area behind gets clearer. As I open up the amount of f -stops that area behind shrinks as does the fore ground.  That focus will be uniform for each object across the with of the picture, therefore the amount of detail will be equal across the picture. 

So... Kitty  fails this last test.  Start drawing a grid across the picture.  Letters on the side and numbers across the bottom; Bottom to top and left to right. Now are b3 and b 8 the same focus?  No, one is more blurry.  See some spots in the picture are very clear and others near them lack details from focus.

BTW this was a great picture to do this with as the lake cuts out a lot of the higher number to compare. 

WWW.formitch.com

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2007 at 17:17

Here is the next thing... A) The photo was cropped OR B) a scanned image from a 6x7 was used as the base.

The aspect ratio is a little odd for a 35mm based photo.  It is not the aspect ration for a 6x4.5 either. 

WWW.formitch.com

huntinbucks View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntinbucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2007 at 16:41
Hey guys!  I'm fairly new to this forum, but check out this video from youtube.  It's pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhUE58vV2Ws
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic