OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

new scope for new gun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROCKMAN57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2007 at 19:02

What happened to the Nikon Monarch?SWFA has last years model on sale right now and for $300 you can get a great scope with better optics and magnification levels and objective diameter for your money.Nothing to think about.

I called today and they have in stock the 5.5-16.5 x 40 Adjustable Objective Plex Reticle for $302.95

Third page at the bottom and they don't say new in front of them.Great sale.

Good Luck with whichever you decide.

Rock 

Walk softly,keep the wind in your face and watch your back
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 06:37

this is the one i think i'm going to go with.

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/6586/nikon_5.5-16.5x44_m onarch_ucc_riflescope.htm 

Thanks rock

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 06:55
What scope came with the gun?  I tried to find out and had no luck.  It may be adequate for your puposes.  Let us know.  By the way, when I say what scope, look for the brand and a model number.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 06:59

the scope thats on it is a bushnell sharp shooter 3-9X40.

From what i have been told a recoil from a red rider can knock it off.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 07:56
Replace it pronto.  I am sorry, did I miss your budget?
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 07:58
i was looking for somethinf under $400 if at all possib;e but i also kow you get what you pay for.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 08:09
Well, if you are going to be shooting at no more than 200 yards hunting, then I would minimize you max. magnification and buy the best glass for the money.  There are alot of people that will tell you that all you need is a max. of 6x, which is probably true, but personally, I would go to 9x and stop.  At a 400 dollar budget, most of the good scopes truely offer comparable glass.  With the caliber, eye relief becomes and issue as well as mounting to achieve a proper set up so that when you shoot the rifle you a comfortable.  If you are going to shoot at low light, then you want a larger objective, the end of the scope, probably 50mm, if not, I would stick with a 40 to 44 mm. at the most, as it makes for simplicity, costs less for the quality of glass you get and streamlines the rifle.  Now, if you can answer some of those questions, I can recommend a few great scopes that will serve you quite well for years to come.

Edited by Dolphin
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 08:49

the monarch would be a good scope - you may want to check inventory.

if you can scrounge up the extra cabbage - try a 44mm conquest. with a #4 reticle -

awesome lowlight reticle. decent eye relief.

good luck.

J

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 08:57

I do hunt alot of feilds that are 300 yards long but i would only thing of a shot at 200 yards if my practice works out will.So light might be a factor.but if i can i would like a scope that would help me see futher.Also is going on a 300 win mag so i want something that will hold the zeroing .

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 09:00

on another note what type of mounts and other things would i need to make it work well with the ?

Brandon

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 09:33

Any of these scope should be excellent for your requirements and fit you budget quite nicely.  The Bushnell Elite 4200 is an excellent scope also and some believe has better optics.  I personally would recommend Warne bases and rings or the Talley light weight one piece base and rings.  The Nikons are on sale, but are probably back ordered.  I have been waiting several weeks for mine.

var strSealURL='weblogos.dnb.com'; var sealID='41A44EDC-EFF8-46B2-ACA4-D4C9697EE558'; var strDuns='053662094'; var strRWSPath='express.dnbsearch.com'; var strCountry='US'; var increment='true'; var strLang='EN';
6535 Nikon 3.5-10x50 Monarch UCC Riflescope                      Nikon 3.5-10x50 Monarch UCC Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Nikoplex
  • 1"
  • Free SWFA Lens Pen w/ Purchase
SWFA: $329.95
More Info... Buy Now

6530 Nikon 3.5-10x50 Monarch UCC Riflescope                      Nikon 3.5-10x50 Monarch UCC Riflescope
  • Gloss
  • Nikoplex
  • 1"
SWFA: $305.95
More Info... Buy Now

6533 Nikon 3.5-10x50 Monarch UCC Riflescope                      Nikon 3.5-10x50 Monarch UCC Riflescope
  • Matte
  • BDC
  • 1"
SWFA: $329.95
More Info... Buy Now
422105M Bushnell 2.5-10x50 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope                   Bushnell 2.5-10x50 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
SWFA: $428.95
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 10:01

On this one is the BDC close being on if zeroed in right?

would the warren base and rings work good for this.

I'm new at this so bear with me.I'm learning as i go

http://www.swfa.com/pc-6849-218-nikon-35-10x50-monarch-ucc-r iflescope.aspx

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 10:26

All bullet drop compensation reticles are spaced so as to work with different calibers after sighting in at a certain range and using the scope at usually max. magnification.  Now, they are not dead on for those calibers at the different ranges.  For example, Burris gives you information on their reticle with respect to different calibers, as far as how high or low the point of impact will be at the level chose.  Therefore, the best way to use the reticle, is to approximate with the information given and shoot the rifle at the range to see exactly how far off you are from the marks.  If you really want to get into it, you can sight your scope in a little different so that the bullet may cross one of you marks perfectly at the given range you so desire.  However, for the chosen caliber you have and the distances you are going to be hunting, the BDC is not necessary.  I would take your rifle to the range and sight it in at whats called, maximum point blank range.  That is the distance that gives you the greatest latitude in hitting your target in the proper spot without making any adjustment in your shot.  You just aim where you should and you will be fine.  For example, with a 300 win. mag. using a Remington 150 grain core lokt bullet, the maximum point blank range, using a target of 6 inches round, would be 221 yards, ie, the distance with which you would sight your rifle in.  This would allow you to be accurate and take a deer without making adjustments in your sight from 122 yard to 251 yards.  Also remember your bullet crosses the line of sight at two points, near and far.  So, if you encounter a deer at say 25 yards, you will almost be dead on.  At 75 yards, you will be 2.3 inches high.

Yes, the Warne bases and rings would work fine for all of these scope.  I use them almost exclusively.

Edited by Dolphin
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 10:44

I know i have got to do alot of shooting to get this all worked out.

The way it sounds if i want to shot long it messes my short range up but if i want short range it messes my long range up.I guess i'll try to find a happy medium some how.

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 11:03

As mentioned by Dolphin you don't need a BDC for shots ranging 0-200 yards or almost 300 for that matter. 3-9, or 3-12 is enough scope - have to ask youself if there is a possbility of shooting inside of 50 yds - if so, even 3X at the bottom end is pushing it.

Check out the ballistics on Hornady's web site for their 3 listed 150 grain loads.  When zeroed for 200 yards here's the stats:

100 yards:  +1.1 inch

200 yards:    0

300 yards:   -5.6 to -5.9

- this means just point and shoot out to 250 yards with no change in sighting

God save the Empire!
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 11:16

okay.I can handle that a little better.

I use an 180 grain.and i do shoot under 50 yrds at times when stalking.

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 11:42

Hornady has two 180 loads listed.  Not a lot of difference:

100yards:   1.5 to 1.6 high

200 yards:  0

300 yards:  6.8 to 7 inch low

God save the Empire!
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 11:50
Ok, that is not difficult either.  What you have to know, is a little about the exterior ballistics of the caliber and load/bullet you are shooting and you do not have to give up short distances for long distance or the other way around.  Before I go any further, let me correct myself.  Those ballistics that I gave you earlier, were for a 300 Savage with the same bullet, but the concept still holds true.  At any rate, if you sight in at 100 yards, you will below by .25 inches at 50 yards and .75 inches low at 25 yards.  At 200 yards you will be 2.5 inches low and at 300 yards you will be 10 inches low.  Therefore, a sight in range of 100 yards would seem to be ideal for you.  If you encounter that 300 yard shot, you will have to remember to shoot high by about 10 inches.  A good rangefinder will also be a helpful tool.  But, at under 250 yards, little adjustment will need to me made (5.6 inches low) and overall, you should do well with this set-up.

Edited by Dolphin
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 11:52

I have a friend that reloads  he told me we can try different thing to get me shooting decent.

thats why i'm useing 180 he already has the stuff to do it with.so i'm also going to get into learning to reload.

The reason why i'm doing all this is i'm going to http://www.muygranderanch.com/  next year so i'm trying to cover all my bases for this life long dream trip. 

I think with a little (lot) of practice i can handle that much better.

Dogger Thanks for all your help

Big

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2007 at 15:23
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic