OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

’Compact’ bolt rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’Compact’ bolt rifle
    Posted: August/26/2004 at 13:05
I am considering a 'compact' bolt rifle for deer(maybe a hog, too) in tight spaces w/ shots out to 100-150 yards. Light, quick, shorter barrel. Probably 7-08 or .308. Any favorites and what made you decide in that rifles favor?
Carl in N. FL
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2004 at 14:06

for a combo mountain/brush/field gun, you cant go wront with the remington model 7. i have a 7 magnum LS in 300 SA ultra mag, and it is one quick handling gun. recoil is VERY tollerable, i figured it would be up there since the gun is pretty light, but i would rather shoot that gun that a 270 that i have, well... that 270 is jsut plain brutal, it vibrates like nobodys business. or the 336 in either 35 reimngton, or 30-30.

cory

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2004 at 17:22

In compact rifles, the Kimber 84 series cannot be beat.

ranburr

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2004 at 17:36

hmmmm.... ive been looking at one of them, they look like a nice rifle. shooting times had a review of one in 300 WSM, and it got a very good review.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2004 at 17:37
got get em ranburr they're over populating, its about time we have an open seaon. lol.
If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Bart Simpson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2004 at 18:33
I saw today a listing for a base(or was it rings) for the Model Seven-New Model. Did the receiver change?
Carl in N. FL
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2004 at 18:45

nope, didnt change one bit.

cory

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2004 at 19:01

Just sold two Kimber 84's on GunBroker.com.  One .243 and one .308....nice guns.

Something must have changed on the model 7 because Leupold has a new two piece mount that only fits blued guns serial # 762,800 and higher and stainless 773,800 and higher.  All model 7's regardless of serial number will take a 700 short action one piece, so the difference has to do with the hole spacing for the rear base.

Bart Simpson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2004 at 19:30
Day late on the Kimbers, I guess. Got anymore heading that way?
Carl in N. FL
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2004 at 19:33
Nope.  They were in new conditon and sold for $600. ea.  Our user name at GunBroker.com is riflescopes.com   We don't have anything up right now but will be listing a lot soon.  We always list guns with no minimum and no reserve so check for our auctions when you are at gunbroker.com
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2004 at 22:50
The Kimber 84M or the Montana version would be my first choice for your intended purposes. The Remington Mod. 7 would be my second. I think it's time for me to start ribbing redneckbmxer24. I can tell you from first hand experience that there is nothing pleasurable about shooting a 6.5 lb 300 WSM or Remington SA Ultra Mag. Of course this is just my feeling or opinion. The BMXER stated that the 375, 338 & the 300 Ultra Mags were comfortable or something along that line with regards to recoil. To quote one of   my favorite  gun writers,Jon  R Sundra, from an article about Elk guns he stated when moving up to the 338's, he stated, " I can't ever imagine being that mad at an Elk to use a 338 Ultra Mag". I get the feeling that Cory has spent some time in the ring as a sparing partner!!! The 7-08 or 308 will do just fine. If you can get the Kimber for the prices that Chris stated, then I would put that rifle at the top of the short list.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2004 at 09:56

they arent bad to shoot, they sound bad, but they really arent, i definently wouldnt suggest one to somebody thats ver recoil sensitive. now, the 375 is right up there, but the 338 isnt any worse than my 300, but after all, the 338 i shot was a sendero with a 6.5-20 leupold on it, so it had soem weight to it. the 300 SA ultra maghonestly isnt bad to shoot at all, its actually comparable to a 308 winchester, or 30-06, and that was before i put a scope on it, so it was weighing in at around 7 1/4 lbs.

cory

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic