OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Am I alone here?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scubasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I alone here?
    Posted: February/24/2007 at 02:16

Been reading various post and it got me to thinking about my shooting habits. Early in life I was blessed to be taught the finer points of shooting iron sights by a Ditch Digger (Army) Seargent at Boy Scout summer camp. He taught me to shoot with both eyes open, breathing techniques, and trigger pull. He seemed quite impressed with my shooting. I took these skills with me into a world where I put many a robin, squirrel, rabbit and deer in the pot.

Fast forward 10 years and I'm a freshman in college. I took riflery as an elective. A salty and experienced (aged) lady who had shot on the Olympic teams several years before taught the class. Naturally I was doing well at the range shooting peep sighted .22's. I went on to join the Rifle team but was not really accepted because the ROTC Captain didn't think much of my long hair and carefree ways. And I could shoot circles around him and his crewcut minions.

One day after class, I had to admit to my instructor that I had missed a deer. She questioned me about the shot and I told her the story best I could. Seems that I was closing my non shooting eye. She admonished me, as I needed to be.

So......What I'm saying is that whenever I shoot, whether it be iron sights or scope, I

ALWAYS shoot with BOTH eyes open. Seems that there are a few on here that say it can't/shouldn't be done this way at higher magnifications. I say,"TORO COCKA!!!" When you shoot with both eyes open, you are putting less strain on yourself. It takes some practice, but it can become second nature. And to those naysayers, I have this...I shoot right handed, but I'm LEFT eye dominant. Heck, my vision is way better in my left eye. But I still shoot accurately. It all boils down to practice and conditioning.

And to the folks who say it is sacrilege to mount glass on a lever rifle (336,94,1894). I hunt in the Atchafalaya Basin in south Louisiana. Probably some of the thickest, if not thickest, woods/swamp in the U.S. All my rifles are scoped. I'll have shots ranging from 25' to 75 yds. The glass helps in identifying you target thru all the tangles and mess. I have never felt handicapped by glass. Of course my swamp guns aren't adorned with anything higher than 4x. But, I have no problem getting on target. I have found the low power scopes to actually speed up my shot over iron sights. When one has practiced and conditions oneself to use his equipment for its intended purpose, it becomes a natural movement.

I kinda get the feeling that some on here need to get a good instructor and relearn the basics.

Am I alone in saying this?

ATF should be the name of a convience store, not afederal agency.
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2007 at 07:52

I completely agree that both eyes should stay open, regardless of magnification.

I am right hand shooter and right eye dominant, but when i shoot with left hand i use left eye. Still both eyes open.

It can be done with practice.

Now I don't belive that the reason for you to miss the deer was that you closed one eye, there is surely another reason.

But still there is no advantage by closing one eye, its just a matter of lazyness (in mostly cases) why people not practice enogh to use both eyes.

Regards Technika

4T570 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4T570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2007 at 08:54

Good post.  I totally agree with glass on lever guns.  I hunt in thick woods of East Texas, and a good low-power scope helps in counting points on antlers, making head shots on feral hogs, etc. 

Both eyes open or one eye closed...it comes down to practice and being familiar with your equipment. 

Charlie70 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2007 at 09:20
I shoot both eyes open also, regardless if it is with open sights or optics. I have a little 94AE chambered in .44 mag and prefer the open sights. Actually I think I am about to put a set of the XS ghost rings on it. It is very short and makes a great truck gun travelling the ranch. Very quick to get out and get on target. For me, it's just a little quicker with the irons cruising through the pasture when a coyote jumps out
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2007 at 10:05
I'm right handed and left eyed.  I can't shoot unless I close my left eye.  I should have learned to shoot left handed but it's way too late for that
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2007 at 10:26

I think your over reacting, on any summer sat., considering the total number of trap shooters, skeet shooters, IPSC, IDPA shooters, 3 gun match shooters who all shoot with both eyes open I would be conservative at 1,000,000.

Forgot to add--- I'm sure there a few people on this site that are Olympic level -- consider that each shooting sport is very specialized if a competitive  nature and hunting is something different. I'm willing to bet that the average hunter  (the ones I know) who close an eye is a "better" shot than most Olympic target shooters. Why? different conditions most Olympians are neither action shooters, or long range shooters, and hunters are not bullseye trained.

Edited by Dale Clifford
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2007 at 13:39

Shooting both eyes open causes a problem for me. I have one eye that is too dominate. When I shoot both eye open it shifts my groups noticable. If you can shoot both eye open, then more power to you.  It is not as much training, as it it is body differances. YMMV

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

ROCKMAN57 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROCKMAN57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2007 at 14:02

Hi All,

I'm new to this rag bur I love it already.Very diversified group and I like that.I think shooting with eye's open or closed is not what matters most but shooting the same every time either way your most comfortable with does.To prove this you can try it both ways at the range and see the difference.I prefer eyes open because when shooting open sights or shotgunning it helps me stay with the target when moving.Ever shoot a deer right at last light and blink?Rut-Ro where'd he go?Hopefully he's laying right where ya shot him.HEHEHE

Im outta here.

Rock

Walk softly,keep the wind in your face and watch your back
JohnRov View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnRov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2007 at 09:46
I can't see how, in a hunting or target situation, aside from eventual eye fatigue, shooting with both eyes open with a scope or IS provides any advantage.  You are dealing with two dimensions.  For shotgunning where you are judging speed, trajectory, and distance, it makes a difference, although I know a lot of good one-eyed shotgunners.

In a tactical situation, it also allows for awareness of the surrounding area.  That said, my brother-in-law is a full-time SWAT sniper and shoots one eye closed for everything.  He's the best shooter I've ever seen first-hand.
1stscope View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stscope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2007 at 12:36

Keeping both eyes open was the common wisdom on the range as closing one eye could result in fatigue. The basis of shooting to your ability started with a 'natural shooting position', especially in highpower rapid fire, as you don't really have time to make adjustments and after each shot the sights need to drop right back on target. 'Natural' often meant looking like Forrest Gump, with both eyes open, mouth open, a relaxed expression, all making you look like your IQ was moderate double digits :^)

Nerdy looking glasses with no lens on one side and a block on the other were used by some.  

scubasteve View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scubasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2007 at 13:34

Charlie, You will really like shooting a ghost ring or peep. Faster target aquisition and easy accuracy. I have a Williams peep with a large aperature on a 760 Carbine. Even when I remove the aperture and shoot it like a ghost ring, my groups stay minute of whitetail accurate.

Really appreciate everybodys good comments. I didn't start this post as a peeing match. Was just awake late one night and had my "ddep" thinkin' cap on.

I don't shoot near as much as I won't to, but when I get the oppurtunity, I like to make the most of it.

Shootin' good is almost like Zen...become one with the gun, Grasshoppah. Relax, breathe, imagine the bullet htting the exact spot for which you want it to hit. Oooooooohhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm.

ATF should be the name of a convience store, not afederal agency.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic