OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

’Compact’ Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2004 at 17:00

My experience with Ruger customer service is not so hot.  Years ago I purchased a Ruger Redhawk .357 magnum (yes .357).  With the sixth shot out of the new gun and using factory loaded winchester 158 grain hollowpoints, the barrel flew about 15 ft. down range.  A visual inspection showed a tiny new break where the barrel and fram met and it appeared that in that area their had been a very large air pocket formed during the casting phase.  I sent the pistol back to Ruger.  I asked for a new gun because this one only had six rounds through it and blew up.  To make a long story short, I never could get anyone to return my calls and about 4 months after the fact the same Ruger showed back up repaired.  There was no explanation, no apology, nothing but the pistol.  Needless to say, I quickly sold that gun and I have never bought another Ruger.  On the positive side, I do have a Modell 77 .270 that I got 25yrs ago that shoots in the same hole.  The new Rugers that I have seen are hit or miss.  If I am buying a new rifle off the shelf it will be a Winchester Model 70 Classic, a Kimber 84, or a CZ 550. 

ranburr    

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2004 at 21:55
It is interesting to go from a short light rifle for close work to manufac. bashing. In considering the rifle question, the Savage scout rifle in 308 would be your perfect choice (wish I had one), but it is only through their custom shop. Contact them thru their web site, I'm sure they would be happy to set you up. Now for other topics. Remington guns ARE the most accurate factory rifles out of the box bar none! (And if you put a NEGG 3 positon saftey like a Winchester, and a NEGG varmit trigger probably the best). Often outshooting much more custom expensive alternatives. Because they take more time with their chambers, (newer reamers) and have hammer forged barrels. Browning bought Winchester several years back and is the reason why so many look alikes between the two. If you discount the new line of what do we need short magnums for Winchesters nothing is new. No one has brought up the fine Coopers and Dakotas out there. Personally I haven't found Ruger barrels to be that accurate since Atkinson stopped making them in the late 80's. (At least this is a much of the puzzle as I know). As far as revolvers check out the new Taurus Tracker in 45ACP. I bought an 8 shot large frame in 357 and have been so impressed with the quality, I bought a Raging Hornet and a Tracker in 45LC,. (There raging Bull in 454 is easier on the shooter than Rugers).
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2004 at 22:33
Hmm.  My experience with out of the box Remington's (and that of people I know) has not been great.  Accurate enough for deer, but that's about it.  I think you are the first person I've encountered who claims that Remingtons are the most accurate out the box rifles.  Everybody loves them, but everybody modifies them to make them shoot.

Anyhow, Taurus in 45ACP is not California approved, otherwise I would already buy it.  I really like the grip on Tracker series.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2004 at 23:16

I see the similarities of the Winchester and Browning semi-auto shotguns, but the model 70 classic and the A-bolt are night and day different.  I have always found Winchester to be at least as accurate (if not more so) then Remington.  I also prefer the controlled round feeding of the model 70 over push feed designs like Remington (that is just my prejudice).  As far as nothing new goes, I think once the Mauser action was perfected, we reached the pinnacle of bolt-action technology and everything else has just been tweeking.  What I think Remington does do a great job at is sales and marketing.  They make good products at reasonable prices and market them better than anyone in the industry.  That being said, I do not think that they are the best and I don't buy their rifles.  But, if someone were to give me one I sure would not turn it down.  I do like and use the 1100 shotguns for dove hunting.

ranburr 

Knewt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Master Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2004 at 04:10
Hey now...    

I have had 3 rugers for over 18yrs and like them all:

M77V (not MK II) 22-250 (timney installed trigger)
#1V 25-06 ackley (with a custom trigger job)

and a super redhawk 44 mag ( as long as it'll hit a basketball at 5 yds. it serves its purpose)

Their biggest problem has seemed to be "lawyer designed" triggers.... but that is easily fixed.

I don't have any rants or raves about any of the MK II's I've seen lately, but the new #1's are very nice and are being built into more custom rifles than any other name brand single shot.

muddydog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2004 at 00:20

if it were me..

and i wanted a truly compact rifle, i would get a winchester or marlin carbine or an older remington 742 carbine.

i have 2 lever guns..1 an old M94 30-30 and another m94 AE BIG BORE XTR .444.

my .444 has AO tritium sights with no scope. pure old school. a outstanding shooter

i do have a 1.5x4.5 elite 3200 firefly on a remington 742 ( which BTW aint to shabby in either the long or short version) its a 1moa gun..flawless operation after 3000 or so rounds in a 30-06. i have AO tritium sights and warne QD mounts on it. i love this scope. very clear..CHRIS steered me unto it..and i have not looked back.

the carbine versions usually are seen in 308 around here and i have a friend with one that has a compact burris on it, 4x i believe.

in a compact environment..of treestands and blinds..its nice not to have to work a bolt in any fashion when getting a shot at game. a point and click..if you will.

i hunt deep timber and need all the light and sighting tools i can find.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic