OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

’Compact’ Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’Compact’ Scope
    Posted: August/25/2004 at 22:16
A little help if you please. I'm looking to put together a compact combo for small stands, tiny ground blinds, or just walking in and sitting at the base of a tree in the swamp. Two rifles under consideration; Ruger Compact or a Marlin 336. Scope parameters would include power ranges, length, weight, and to some extent cost. It should come as no surprise that one scope, albeit a compromise, is the Nikon Gold 1.5-6x42 w/ a #4 reticle. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Carl in N. FL
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2004 at 23:08
If you like Ruger's, then by all means go with the bolt gun. I don't know what you are hunting, so I can't recommend a caliber. As far as the scope is concerned, the Nikon you plan on will sure be bright and good for close cover work, but , it is heavy and not the least costly of the options out there.
Bart Simpson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2004 at 23:26
Deer and hog. Ruger compact in .308.  I've got a spare monarch 3-9x40 in the closet but was thinking lower power for quicker handling. Shots won't be longer than 100 yards (hope the deer understand this point) and could be poorly lit and in thick cover. Thanks.
Carl in N. FL
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2004 at 00:21
I have a slight feeling that you have a soft spot for Nikon scopes, so I won't even try to talk you out of your scope choice. If all your shots will be up close and personal, then the Ruger Compact in 308 sounds like a good choice.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2004 at 00:48
I am not going to try to talk you out of your scope choice, but I'll try to offer a couple of options.

For a fair bit less money, Burris compact scopes are very nice.  Their 2-7x and 4x compacts are bright and reliable.  If you with a Marlin, you can set it up with a scout scope and put either a Burris 2.75x or a Leupold 2.5x scope.  For speed of target acquisition, I think it is hard to beat a handy levergun with a scout scope.  I don't know if I'd want to put a fairly sizable scope like Monarch Gold on a light rifle.  That can seriously affect it's handling.  I'd probably be inclined to use a small and light scope with plenty of eye relief.

Other good choices are Burris Signature Safari 1.5-5x32  and Leupold VXIII 1.5-5x20 and 1.75-6x32.  All three are smaller and lighter than the Nikon.  And Leupold 1.5-5x20 is downright tiny, similar in size to Burris compacts. 

Ilya
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2004 at 10:56

i have a 336c in 35 remington with the XS scope mount, and the leupold 2.5x IER, and i love it. very fast handling gun, i would highly recommend that setup. as for the ruger compact, first of all, i wouldnt buy it, becuase its a ruger. but as for a scope for a gun "like it" i would get a 4200.

cory

Bart Simpson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2004 at 12:58
Thanks Cory, that's the type feedback I was looking for. I've shot a similar setup in a Guide Gun and thought favorably of it. Somehow, even with all our technology, it feels good to carry a lever into the woods. I sold my 336 w/ 1.75-4x32 Bushnell brush reticle after last season and kinda miss that familiar feel. Thanks again.
Carl in N. FL
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2004 at 13:53

you gotta have the about 9" of eye relief with my setup though. just to let you know. i love carrying my 336c in the woods, but thats the only place it gets carried. very suprising though is that with remingotns factory loaded 200gr CL's i prints about 1-1/2" and 100, very good accuracy for a cranker.

cory

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2004 at 15:38
Cory,

What's wrong with ruger guns?  I do not own any, but I always thought they were well made.

Ilya
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2004 at 15:42

i have never owned one either, and NEVER will. as far as ive heard form too many people, they are peices of crap. ill take a savage first. the only bolt gun ill ever pay for is a remington, ill consider browning, CZ, and a few others, but NEVER a ruger. they have major qaulity issues.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2004 at 15:44

hmmmm.... im sure that post will get soem crap thrown at it, but hey, its my opinion.  koshkin, you are a good man to not own any

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2004 at 16:01
Interesting. I've seen a lot of Savage haters, but you are a first ruger hater I know.
I do own a savage (12FV in 22-250 w/Accutrigger), and I am extremely happy with it.  Interestingly, I am not a big fan of remington bolt guns.  I've had exposure to a couple that would not shoot well without some work.  The opinion of a lot of people I've talked to is that Remington is great for building a custom gun, but for out of the box accuracy, it is best to look elsewhere.  My Savage shoots well will almost anything thrown at it.  Same goes for a couple of Tikkas I have: shoot great with no tinkering.  A friend has a CZ550 in 308 and I am very impressed with it as well.  I have little experience with Winchester and Browning guns, and for some reason I do not like Howa's.
I was thinking of purchasing a ruger wheelgun.  Now, i suppose I'll need to do some research on ruger's quality issues.
Generally, I like to tinker with old milurplus guns.  When I buy something modern I expect it to function flawlessly and shoot accurately with minimum of work (trigger tuning and free-floating at the most).  As a result, the only Remington I currently own (and chances are it'll stay that way) is an 870 Express shotgun.

Ilya

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2004 at 16:09

yeah, as is with every gun, you can get some fualtr remingtons, and some models mroe than others, but ive never had trouble with any of mine, but have heard cases of it. the savage varmint rifles liek you have, will outshoot alot of remingtons. i hate to admit this, but i have been considering a BVSS jsut to see what all the stink is about. but i absolutely despize (spelling?) ruger. an i will never buy a winchester jsut becuase i dont liek the name, and design, although i love winchester ammo, so nothing wrong with the guns. the ruger wheelguns are ok, but i wont buy one becuase of the name stamped on it. check out a S&W, they have been around for a LOOOONNNNNNGG time, and know there stuff. there cylinders arent the best in the world, but as long as you dont load too hot, you wont have to worry about them. freedom arms is another great company, but again, i dont like the design. CZ, and tikka rifles ROCK, not liek remingtons though. i jsut favor big green though.

cory

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2004 at 17:09

Old Rugers=Great.  New Rugers=Crap.

ranburr

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2004 at 17:33

got another person that agrees with me.

cory

SlingSwivel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlingSwivel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2004 at 23:15

Bart -

FWIW I have a 1.5x6x42 Gold on a 45/70 Ruger #1 that I am very happy with. The quality of the rifle hasn't been an issue in the near two years I've had it, but only hard use will tell.

My only experience with a "compact" is a Rem Model 7 SS in .260 wearing a Vari-X II 1.75-6x32 which has been the most accurate out-of-the-box rifle I've every owned. My wife shot a three hole cloverleaf - all holes touching - at 100 yds with the first three shots fired during initial sight in, using factory ammo (125 partition Rem Premier). My jaw dropped. I'm sure it was just luck that we picked that load to try first and that there are many more loads out there that the rifle won't like as well. I don't remember why we were using that load "to get on the paper" with the newly mounted scope since there are cheaper alternatives - probably since there isn't a lot of choice with the .260 and many stores don't carry it all. Note that we haven't spent much time trying other combinations - I keep asking my self why? :-)

Good luck in da swamp!

sling

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2004 at 00:13
Hey Koshkin, now you know another Ruger hater- ME. The only Ruger that I have seen that was very accurate out of the box was a friend of mind's 280. The Ruger has a strong action and ring mount design, but, as far as I'm concerned that's where it stops for me. Before Ruger made their own barrels, they had a bad reputation in the accuracy department. They out sourced for barrels from many different manufactures which gave them little to no control over quality. Now that they make their own, you roll the dice and hope for the best. As much as I hate the looks of Savage rifles, I will give credit where credit is due. They are, on average, very good shooters. I am a Remington man. When you look at the overall package, fit, finish, quality and accuracy, they are a VERY tough act to follow. As stated earlier, the 700 action is THE number one choice of accuracy gunsmith's. WHY? Because they require very little " work" if any to make them shoot. On a final note have you ever looked at the HS Precision 2000 action or Ed Brown's 702? They are based on the 700 design with tighter tolerances which for a hunting rifle is not always a good thing.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2004 at 01:27
I was under an impression that Ruger barrels have improved once they started making them themselves.  I guess I was wrong.  Anyhow, I have no problem staying away from Ruger rifles since I've had great luck with Tikka, Savage, and CZ.  As for a tough act to follow: I have a Tikka model 695 in 280 Rem.  Dead stock, nothing done to it.  I was shooting fairly consistently 0.5 to 1.0 inch groups out of it.  Occasionally though it was giving basically one hole groups at 100 yards.  I figured I should check something out: a different shooter.  I grew up in Soviet Union and I never had a chance to even touch a gun until I came to America (dictatorships are like that).  In the meantime, I've managed to screw up my hands a bit.  It takes all of my concentration to shoot as well as I do, and I'll never shoot better than that.  So I ask a guy at the range to shoot a few groups out of my gun since he seemed like a pretty good shot.  He fires four groups, and all come in between 0.2 and 0.4 inches.  Inspired by that, I got my hands onto a Tikka 595 sporter in 308: it shoots in about the same way.  Both rifles are beatifully finished and have smoother bolts than any Remington I've ever tried.  I wish they were made in America.  Given a choice I like to buy domestic products. 

As for Savage, I have no problem with the way it looks.  It is a little rough as far as finish and bolt travel go.  However, the bolt does not bind.  The trigger is great, and the accuracy is great as well.  I havn't had a really good shot shoot some groups out of it yet, but I shoot about as well out of it as I do out of my Tikka.  It is probably safe to assume that the rifle is more accurate than I am.  I bought a plane 12FV with a tupperware stock.   I think I'll get some nice laminate stock for it from Boyds or Richard Microfit.

On revolvers, I considered gettin a S&W wheel gun in 45ACP, but the grip  does not fit my hand.  I can buy it and search for replacement grips that work for me, I suppose, but I am a firm believer that modern guns are supposed to  work as is, and out of the box.  Ruger GP100 fits my hand like a glove, and I think I'll go with it.

Ilya
1000yards View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1000yards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2004 at 15:14

Agree the Burris compacts great choices. Can't agree too much on the Ruger issue - have several Remingtons and a bunch of Rugers including an out of the box 338 I'll shoot for money with any day. Heard about the bad barrel issue but have not personally seen it - I've got a matching pair of 7x57 old style 77's that have been 7/8 inch or so guns with handloaded ballistic tips since the year we bought them.....around 1990 or so. Recently purchased a 416 Rigby Ruger and it'll shoot near an inch all day long if I can hold it that good. Maybe I've just been lucky but let me relate a Ruger story...........

I bought a 458 Win Mag Ruger 77 action - no stock - just the action. Cleaned it up and put in a call to Ruger and ordered a stock - lady understood the rifle was to ultimately be transferred to ownership of a special friend and went out of her way to select a very very nice piece of wood. I fitted the stock up - why glass bed right - looked pretty close. Third shot the stock broke into three or four equal sized pieces - best I could tell the barrel mounted recoil lug did not have enough clearance and was bearing on the wood. I was so excited I just really bolted it up and went to the bench.

Ashamed - I called Ruger to order another stock and they offered to fit it up if I would send the barrelled action. Less than 10 days later the rifle was returned - no charge - with an even nicer piece of wood. I had a similar experience when I wanted some spare parts for a British Columbia hunt - safety connector - firing pin spring - firing pin etc. no charge. Never needed it but nice to have it.

I've owned and shot Remingtons, Brownings, Winchesters, Steyrs, Weatherbys, Rugers and a bunch of M98 actioned rifles. I'm not an authority or any sort of expert - just an old shooter -- but my experience says that little Ruger compact with a 4x Burris will shoot every bit as good as any other out of the box factory rifle of comparable cost - and they are fine folks to have backing you as well.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2004 at 15:44

Well, this is certainly a different point of view. 

I have to say that a compact Ruger boltgun with that pencil thin barrel and a 4x Burris compact would make a very handy combination: 35" or so in length and ~6.5lbs with scope and rings. That's probably the ultimate carbine you can find these days (other than that Steyr scout).  With a barrel that thin I'd probably go with a 260Rem rather than a 308 though.

Ilya

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic