OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

? for SWFA and final scope choice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ? for SWFA and final scope choice
    Posted: February/23/2007 at 03:22

hi chaps, finally made my choice of scope to put on my steyr prohunter .223:

IOR 2.5-10x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope

• Matte
  • Illuminated MP-8
  • 30mm
  • First Focal Plane Reticle

probably more scope than me or the gun can handle, and if I need to upgrade I can always put it on my anschutz rimfire.

as a matter of interest, will there be enough elevation on normal mounts to get out to a 1000 yards?

Now how can I persuade SWFA to sell me one as I live in the UK, and I pressed order and they don't ship to the UK, and I can't find a European distributor?

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2007 at 11:25

You are wasting your time on both accounts. .223 really sucks after about 400 yds (not that it's very good up to that point), and it is relatively worthless at 1000 think of it in terms of a BB gun at that distance. Walk closer.  SWFA can't sell this type of item outsied the country, that's just how it is.

Just out of curiosity what do you legally hunt in UK with a .223 with a sniper scope at 1000 yds?

How many watch lists did you say you are on?

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2007 at 11:37
Originally posted by darren darren wrote:

hi chaps, finally made my choice of scope to put on my steyr prohunter .223:

IOR 2.5-10x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope

• Matte
  • Illuminated MP-8
  • 30mm
  • First Focal Plane Reticle

probably more scope than me or the gun can handle, and if I need to upgrade I can always put it on my anschutz rimfire.

as a matter of interest, will there be enough elevation on normal mounts to get out to a 1000 yards?

Now how can I persuade SWFA to sell me one as I live in the UK, and I pressed order and they don't ship to the UK, and I can't find a European distributor?

Nice scope choice Darren. I also have a problem with your caliber for your application, it is my opinion that this caliber is not suited for 1000 yrds.

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2007 at 11:48
A fixed 4x or 6x S&B goes for about the same price in the UK as that IOR would cost you here. This scope is much more suited for your caliber and its range and will compliment your rifle quite nicely.

Edited by Trinidad
darren View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2007 at 13:07

buy cheap buy twice!

The above is my original post, on this forum. I don't shoot live game out past 150 yards, but I wanted to learn to shoot targets further away. I know the calibre choice isn't great but it is what I can get to shoot vermin that is a bit quieter than a 22-250.

I'm unsure what a watch list is?

The element here is fun, I know the rifle isn't up to it, but I would like to buy a decent scope, I can always upgrade the gun, I didn't want to upgrade both.

I have a friend that has taken the .223 out to 1200m fairly consistantly , I think it was a steyr scout rifle that he was using.

I can buy meopta in this country , but not IOR?.

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2007 at 13:19
Meopta Meostar's are nice scopes,I would go that rought.
darren View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2007 at 13:31

why can't I buy IOR's in the UK?

thanks for the replies!

Darren

darren View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2007 at 11:45
bump!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic