OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The $1500 Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The $1500 Question
    Posted: February/22/2007 at 17:36
I've been looking at all these scopes that are $1500 or more and I just keep thinking I can buy a nice rifle and scope for that.  I know they are really good and all but if I was going to spend $1500 I think I'd have to by a $900-1000 rifle, something different from what I have, and a $500-600 scope to go on it.  Am I not thinking clearly here?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2007 at 17:45
I think you are thinking very clear on the latter.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2007 at 19:45
Or, if you really want to go all out on a scope, how about $650 for a Kahles KX and $850 for a Kimber 84 or 8400?  Can anybody give me a good reason to spend it all on a xope instead?  Except Chris, of course.  He'd have a good reason
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2007 at 20:00
That is an excellent combo, 3-9x42 and the Kimber. What caliber, another .260 or maybe a WSM?
wildnorthern View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildnorthern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2007 at 20:29
Better yet, buy a tikka versus the kimber and save another $200 or you could save money buying a savage if you don't mind an ugly gun, lol.  Kimbers are nice but are known to be inconsistant for accuracy.  Some are sub moa, others are moa+.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2007 at 21:07

I've got 2 Kimber 260's, so I'd probably get an 8400 in 30-06.

I've had 7 Kimbers and all shot great.  I haven't heard about any accuracy problems.  I've looked at Tikkas and they just look cheap to me; like a bunch of parts stuck together that don't match.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildnorthern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2007 at 22:57
Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

I've got 2 Kimber 260's, so I'd probably get an 8400 in 30-06.

I've had 7 Kimbers and all shot great.  I haven't heard about any accuracy problems.  I've looked at Tikkas and they just look cheap to me; like a bunch of parts stuck together that don't match.

Spend time talking with guys into accuracy and you will hear plenty of complaints about kimbers.  I hear more negative things about kimber accuracy then positive.  Hear nothing but good things about savage and tikka accuracy for medium priced guns and hear all positive for sako which would be in the same range as kimber.

canine View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2007 at 23:26

A wise man once told me that a rifle is only as good as the scope that you put on it!!!!!

If your optics fail you have a very expensive club to swing at your game!!!!!

Edited by canine
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2007 at 23:47

Mywates

If you are buying on a budget why do you then buying new stuff? or want to buy brand new?

I have always bought on a budged and by buying second hand I always end up with owning my higher value items than I would if it's brand new.

If you of some reason would have to sell, then you will get your money back if you bought it second hand, but new NO.

So the question of getting a 1500 scope or a 500 $ scope is all about if you want big field of view, sharpest possible image, good low light capabilities.

It's not that a 500$ scope is as good as a 1500$, you normally gets what you pay for.

If you gets used to the optical quality from the big best european houses, you would never ask this question.

So I sugest that you borrow out some scopes and try them against each others, espesially in low light.

Regards Technika

gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2007 at 01:31
Wildnorthern has got it down, those Tikka T3 Lites in stainless are the cats a_s!  You can pick one up for under $600 and get a new Kahles KX on it with a set of Talley Lightweight (2 piece ring/base combo) and really get it done!  Bang for the buck, they are flat out the best rifles going!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2007 at 03:12
I think you are  pretty much right on with this one, mwyates.  For a hunting rifle, I do not think there is a truly compelling reason for a $1500 scope unless, the price difference is irrelevant to you.

ILya
CBM SC View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBM SC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2007 at 07:35

I just went through a lot of this getting a new rifle !!

I wanted a Kimber Montana .7mm WSM with a Ziess Diavari 3x12x56 !! I was going to sell several guns I don't use and a target bow to get it !!

Started researching and realized the .7mm WSM is not the best WSM choice . Figured out the Kimber may not be the ultimate tack driver for the money !! Scope was the toughest call..........still kinda want that scope !!

I ended up with a Tikka T3 Lite stainless .270 WSM ($499) and picked up a display model Swarovski PV 3x12x50-30 mm ($1000) !! I am very happy with it so far ..........but I could have saved another $300-$700 by getting a Meopta Meostar(3x12x56) or Nikon Monarch(3.5x10x50) on sale .............and really could probably tell no practical difference in performance !!

Thinking about the Tikka T3 for $499 and Nikon for $305 ...........sure makes me think that would be a hell of a gun for roughly $800 !!

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2007 at 07:36

if i had the money and wanted the best bang for the buck, IMO, of course:

TIKKA T3 - lots of choices of caliber, synthetic or wood (beautiful, no less)

absolutely accurate (with guarantee), wonderful action and trigger.

under 600 bucks, usually. synthetics are around 450 or so.

Moestar OR Kahles KX series: 500 - 700 depending.

bright and beautiful.

leupold mounts - 60 bucks

mounted and boresited, ready to go: around 1250 - 1400 bucks.

i just spent 1250 on mine and couldn't be happier w/ the setup.

but you know, if i had the money, i would buy zeiss diavari's for all my weapons ;)

J

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2007 at 08:11
I know the Tikka is a good rifle, I just couldn't get past the appearance.  Looks like the receiver, barrel, and the bolt are all made out of different materials and not machined very weell.  I didn't like the feel of the stock, either.  Kimber fits me perfectly.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2007 at 08:16

are you referring to the synthetic stock or wood? i think that that walnut stocks are excellent on the tikka's.

and the T3's action is some of the smoothest you will find. did you pick up the T3, or some other tikka?

you are the FIRST i have heard w/ a negative comment on the T3, if so..........

to each his own, though.

kimber make a fine rifle now adays, but i have held and shot some DUD kimbers before.

can't say that about tikka OR sako.

J

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildnorthern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2007 at 11:13

Sako is well known for accuracy and top of the line actions.  I am sure there are lemons but you never hear about any.  Might want to check them out.

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2007 at 11:27
With a budget of 1500 I would prefer to spend 500 on the rifle and 1000 on the scope and mounts.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2007 at 11:55
Very few people have a need for a scope over $500. but that doesn't mean that people dont want them.  Its kind of like nobody really ---needs---- a Hummer or a Jag.  When you talk about really expensive specialty optics for the military or law enforcement there are valid reasons to spend lots of money for special features. For the rest of the world - walk closer or anti up.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2007 at 12:59

It was a synthetic T3 I was looking at.  I did have to send one of my Kimbers back, an early Montana, because they had drilled the wrong size holes in the receiver for scope mounts,  They had it back to me in a little over a week, including shipping both ways.

I know I'm different.  I bought a T/C Encore and absolutely hated it.  Couldn't stand they way it felt in my hands.

Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2007 at 15:41

Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

I've been looking at all these scopes that are $1500 or more and I just keep thinking I can buy a nice rifle and scope for that.  I know they are really good and all but if I was going to spend $1500 I think I'd have to by a $900-1000 rifle, something different from what I have, and a $500-600 scope to go on it.  Am I not thinking clearly here?

Yates, its just my opinion but I would rather do things the opposite. Its like buying a brand new Ferrari 599 Fiorano then putting cheap tires on it. If someone can't buy both premium rifle & scope, I'd much rather buy a mid priced 600$ great shooting rifle such as a Remington 700 or even less on a good shooting rifle like Savage & spend 1000 on great quality glass.

I've seen people buy expensive rifles & huge caliburs. Things like Sako & Tikka 300 win mags then they put less than desirable glass on it & can't see anything once the sun starts to set.

With the way rifles & premium factory ammo are made today, most rifles shoot just fine for most any hunting situations. A 400$ Savage will put a bullet in a deer's kill zone at 200 yards just as good as a 800$ Tikka, but the same can not be said about scope quality.  A 500$ Vari X Leupold is a joke compared next to a 1000-1500 Zeiss, Swaro or Kahles.

So personally for me if I had to pick a combo I'd go with mid price rifle & premium scope rather than premium rifle & bargain scope.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic