OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How to determine proper ring height

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote v-train Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2010 at 10:25

hey i need some help also. i called swfa after i bought a kahles helia c 56mm scope to order some new rings. i have always wanted some rings with 6 lugs so i needed a new base also. they recommended the egw base and the burris xtreme xhigh rings (1" high).

i had to cancel the base and order it direct from egw because i am a freaking lefty and they had to make me one for my 300 weatherby accumark. i ran across this post after the order and thought i might have rings that were to tall. i got a return number from them.

the o.d. of my scope is 62mm the base is like 7 or 10mm, i will have to check again tonight. it seems pretty close to spec baised on your calculations. i just set the rings on the base, and they seem way to high. i have not taken the rings appart, b/c i need to return them. i almost think medium rings will fit. any suggestions ?

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2010 at 10:29
Test fit them, as long as you dont sinch them down you should still be able to return them.  You may want to verify with SWFA first but they normally know what combo to use.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
v-train View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote v-train Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2010 at 10:44
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Test fit them, as long as you dont sinch them down you should still be able to return them.  You may want to verify with SWFA first but they normally know what combo to use.
ok, i was more worried about screwing up the paint on the screws on top. they said
as long as no pait was jacked up, they would take them back. so should i just get it up
there and see which ring will get me closest to the barrel, and roll with that one, or try
and stay close to 31mm (50% of 62).
par4chris View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote par4chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2010 at 09:44
I have a 50MM objective scope, 30MM tube that I want to mount on my TC Omega.  Already have a weaver style base on it.  Looking at either the Millet vert split rings, Talley rings or Burris Zee rings.  I would like to mount it as low as possible, but I am guessing that I will need the high rings.  I have a 40MM objective scope with 1" tube now with Med rings and have about 1/8" clearance with the barrel.  Any suggestions on rings?
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 10:31

Vortex 6-24x50, 1'' tube.  thinking about SWFA High rings, listed at 1.09'' (shown as B in your diagram).  So i would have to add an additional 12.7mm for centerline, correct? 

that puts me at 25+12.7+3 = 40.7mm, or 1.60 inches?  I can't think of any mounts that high!  I don't think the SSALT would even work it is listed at a lower 1.03'' than the rings.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 10:33
what are you putting this on?

Edited by SVT_Tactical - October/28/2010 at 10:34
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 12:22
17'' of ar15 rail space.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2010 at 13:01
think i know what i did wrong, the +12.7 is in addition to the ring size not the objlens diam.

so it would be 50/2 = 25objlens + 3lenscover = 28mm.

compared against 27.686mm (1.09'') + 12.7mm = 40.386mm.  so these are actually around 12mm taller than needed?  I would want around 30mm for this application.

medium rings would be 17.7038mm (.697'') + 12.7mm = 30.40 compared to 28mm, with a nice buffer.
or am i losing it again Loco
gundudeusa View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gundudeusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2013 at 16:27
Here's a calculator I made recently. Hopefully this will help all future readers. Comes with many modern scope and ring height preset values. Also accounts for Butler scope cover and scope mount cant.

http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator
FelixV View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FelixV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2013 at 11:39
Greetings!!
This is my first post.

A 50mm Objective bell on a 30mm tube holds a simple example for proper ring height.
50mm-30mm=20mm/2=10mm That is how high the bottom of the tube will be when the objective bell is leveled on a flat surface.  Thickness of your base, plus the B measurement of the rings, bottom of ring to the lowest point inside the lower ring, (where the tube rests), obviously must exceed 10mm. How far beyond lifting the bell more than 10mm is the key. That clearance is up to you but I would concur with Chris.  This method can also be used with 1" tubes when converted.

Hope this simplifies

FelixV
We elect them to guard the Bill of Rights from enemies of freedom. These are Natural Rights that cannot be taken nor infringed upon, but must be used to maintain an edge. Inaction dulls a keen edge.FV
Accidic View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Accidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2015 at 16:13
This explains it very well for me but and I follow the figures for the calc portion.  My only curiousity is do the elevated rails sit at a slight angle?  (IE, 20MOA picatinny rails)  Or is this just an elevation thing that achieves it through the elevation.   I ask as I saw one where they suggested milling a rail to get a more aggressive angle and it left me rather confused.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2015 at 21:33
Yes, a 20 MOA rail will slightly lower and make your scope's obj closer to the bore than a flat rail, if I read your question correctly. 
Or are you asking how a canted rail works?    
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2015 at 14:57
Scope Ring Height and Clearance Calculator
GunsIsFuns View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GunsIsFuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2015 at 21:52

Wish I saw this a few weeks ago.  But I think I my AR should be good with the mount I have coming in the mail.

http://swfa.com/Aero-Precision-Ultralight-30mm-One-Piece-Scope-Mount-P79089.aspx

EricX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2015 at 02:14
Hey guys!
This might be one for the books but something that needs to be addressed for future use from others...
I have a Ruger RPR with a 20MOA base upper receiver then a level railed handguard (currently the stock Sampson but soon to have a Midwest Industries RPR handguard).
I've seen good info here on clearance on most rifles and even with an AR platform but the 20MOA angle of the RPR receiver to the flat to barrel axis handguard has me really perplexed.
OK, the scope I am looking at is the 6.5-20x50 Vortex Viper... I would love a SWFA SS HD 5-20X50 but I am on a really restricted budget (grad school student; go figure) so the Vortex is the best option for my application and budget.
The Mil-Rad Scope Ring Height and Clearance Calculator app doesn't work for me for some reason (browser issues?), so I gotta "go analog" and get advice from RKI's.
I plan on using the SWFA SS-Tac or Vortex Tactical rings (pretty sure those are the best value for the dollar out there) with the Vortex 6.5-20x50 with either Vortex or Butler Creek caps on it (no sunshade).
SO... what are the lowest profile rings that will work?
If it were flat, I was thinking standard HIGH to be easily safe but will the 20MOA down-angle warrant Xtra high? I'd prefer as low profile as possible.
So... what rings do the experts suggest for this setup?
Thanks in advance for any RKI advice.
~EricX
RickCunn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickCunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2017 at 17:59
Being an optics newbie, maybe I am missing something here.  What about cheek weld and comfort when determining ring height?  The ring height calculators provide the minimum distance to ensure clearance. However, depending upon stock shape and dimensions, and the dimensions of my head, even for rings that place the scope at the right height the rings may not be tall enough.  I've got one rifle that with the low rings I end up having to cram my face against the stock really hard.  So rings that are en extra 1/2 inch or so taller than the minimum needed to clear the stock are needed for my comfort.  I have another rifle that the low rings work just fine, at least as far as comfort goes.  My point is, I think there is more to ring height than just clearance.  

Man is not free unless government is limited - RR
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic