OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ACOG Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ACOG Questions
    Posted: February/20/2007 at 17:35
I'm new to these scopes and have read (I think) all of the threads including the excellent one at the top of this forum. However, I still have a couple of questions. First, I am right-handed but left-eye dominant (cross-dominant) so the BAC doesn't work for me. Question #1: Can I still use a BAC-rated ACOG using just my right eye to aim with (i.e.- is there anything inherent in that set-up which would preclude that?)?  Question #2: If yes, what kind of riser do I need to mount, say, a 31F on a flat-top AR with the tower front sight? or, Question #3: If no, then I would need to stick to the TAO series which are handle mounted. How does one get a cheek weld with the scope mounted that high? I hope these aren't too elementary in nature. 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 17:42

Originally posted by Newone Newone wrote:

I'm new to these scopes and have read (I think) all of the threads including the excellent one at the top of this forum. However, I still have a couple of questions. First, I am right-handed but left-eye dominant (cross-dominant) so the BAC doesn't work for me. Question #1: Can I still use a BAC-rated ACOG using just my right eye to aim with (i.e.- is there anything inherent in that set-up which would preclude that?)?  Question #2: If yes, what kind of riser do I need to mount, say, a 31F on a flat-top AR with the tower front sight? or, Question #3: If no, then I would need to stick to the TAO series which are handle mounted. How does one get a cheek weld with the scope mounted that high? I hope these aren't too elementary in nature. 

Not elementary questions at all.

I'll send Mithran, the most excellent Marine that wrote the ACOG thread you mentioned, a PM and see if he can help you out some more.

You may also find more intel on AR15.com concerning ACOG's too, if your so inclined.

http://ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=18

Newone View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 17:43
Thanks, Cheaptrick! I appreciate your help!

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 17:44

Originally posted by Newone Newone wrote:

Thanks, Cheaptrick! I appreciate your help!

No problem.

I just PM'd his ACOGness to help us out...

www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 23:53

I belive that BAC should work even if you are crossdominant, if you practice a bit.

I have been an active shooter since I was 10 years old, and as a young lad I was never allowed to close my left eye, both  eyes should stay open.

I do today always fire the gun with both eyes open, regardless if I shoot with left och right shoulder.

I am a right handed shooter with right eye dominant.

And the idea behind the BAC is to use both pictures from both eyes.

Regards Technika

Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2007 at 22:29
Best thing to do is find one and look through the thing.  Just try an ACOG out and see.  The ACOG is designed to use with both eyes open so it shouldn't be a problem but if it doesn't work for you being cross eye dominant it's time to learn to shoot a long gun with your support side.  Doesn't matter how you mount the thing, but I like em on a flat top, but a carry handle mount will work too, work with what you got.  The ACOG flat top mount will work just fine for a flattop.  Are you asking about having to get the sight picture above the front sight?  If so don't worry about it.  Practice with it and the little bit of front sight in you sight picture won't be noticable.  To get cheek weld that high build or buy a cheek piece.

Edited by Mithran
Fight Smarter
Not Harder
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2007 at 00:25

I would even go so far as to say as the Acog is completely worthless without both eyes.

Acog have very narrow FOV, and that should be compensated by both eyes.

So if you intend to use just one eye, there is other scopes that would serve you better (like 1-4 or 1,5-6)

Regards Technika

Newone View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2007 at 08:36
Thank you, both, for the feedback. I think I will take a look at some of the other scopes as you mentioned. The IOR variables or Meoptas. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic