OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kimber Montana, 300WSM Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cajun Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2007 at 20:14
yea, we are recovering from Mardi Gras.  The seafood industry will be booming for the next month or so with Lent.
djpaintles View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djpaintles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2007 at 21:06

I have a few Kimber 8400's. On my Montana 325 WSM I have a Swaro 3-10x42 AV TDS which IMHO is about the perfect scope for this rifle and would be also for one in 300 WSM. The TDS reticle works quite well for 300 WSM's and 180gr bullets, I've used them on a couple.

You may be able to still find a 3-9x40 Kahles AH TDS around and that would also fit just about perfect.

I've use Swaro 4-12x50's on a couple other 8400's, they look a little large but I like the 4-12's for 270 WSM's.

On a Montana I would strongly reccommend Talley lightweight rings. They are just about perfect for the rifle.

The 4-12x50 AV's will fit in low talley QR rings or the kimber bases and low leupold rings. I wouldn't use a 50mm scope that I had to use medium rings for on a 8400, they cheek weld just about perfect in lows.

Good luck with your 300 WSM!..........................DJ

Cajun Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cajun Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2007 at 15:34

How would you compare the Kahles AH against the Swaro?

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djpaintles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2007 at 16:37
I prefer the Swaro somewhat but whether or not the small differences are worth the extra cost of the Swaro is up to you. Both are excellent scopes.....................DJ
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2007 at 17:46
dj, FWIW, there are several folks here who own the new Kahles CL that have owned the Swarovski AV series and in their opinion they thought the CL was better optically and approching the optics of the Swarovski PH series. The Kahles KX scopes are supposed to have the same optics as the CL series.

Edited by Roy Finn
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djpaintles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2007 at 19:49

The new Helia CL's are as or more expensive than the Swarovski AV's one would expect them to be at least equivelant optically. I was comparing them to the older American hunter series.

There's talk of the AV's being discontinued, maybe that they are going to be improved so that they might better compete with the sister scopes from Kahles.

In the end I';m more than happy to hunt with either brand but tend to prefer Swarovski if for no other reason than their warrantee. Supposedly a broken Swaro scope will be fixed here in the US and a Kahles is likely to have to return to Austria.......................DJ

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2007 at 19:58
dj, I guess I should have made it clearer that the new Kahles KX is priced basically the same as the older AH series but they have the same optics as the more expensive CL series. Only issue I have heard from the folks here was because the new CL/KX have larger ocular assemblies, folks mounting them on some bolt rifles have run into clearence issues.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djpaintles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2007 at 20:28
I was glad to see the return of the popular priced series from Kahles. I thought the Multi-zero was a kludge, our local dealers commented to me that the hadn't sold a single one!  I haven't had a chance to look at the KX series yet but plan to...................................DJ
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cajun Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2007 at 07:21

I think the larger ocular is a good thing, from what I have heard.   I wonder if that is a problem with the Kimbers. 

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2007 at 07:59

rifle dude - i can actually tell a noticable difference between 40mm and 50mm's in the lowlight DURING legal time.

i hunt 1 hour before and 1 hour after legal sunup's and down's.  That 10mm goes a long way in the dark. IMO.

THAT is why i hunt 50-56mm's on my big guns.  It makes me a more responsible lowlight shooter.

my 2 cents. good choice on the kahles - let us know how she does!!!

J

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2007 at 10:36
Originally posted by jonbravado jonbravado wrote:

rifle dude - i can actually tell a noticable difference between 40mm and 50mm's in the lowlight DURING legal time.

J

I can too, but only when using the highest magnifications of a scope topping out at above, say, 10X, which doesn't apply to the typical low-power scopes I prefer for deer rifles.  On high quality 1.5-6X, 2-7X, and 3-9X scopes, you already have way more light transmission than your eyes can really use on most power settings anyway with the 40mm objective, without the disadvantages in FOV, weight, cost, and cheek weld associated with the larger objective sizes.  Again, assuming you're using high quality optics to begin with.  If you can tell a difference, then your eyes are better than mine...which is entirely possible.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2007 at 12:32

you are quite correct, RD.

my eyes, on a good day, can only digest 7mm of light (if that) exit pupil.

i usually keep my scopes set on 7 power, to match my binos. 

and the exit pupil of 5.71 (50mm) -vs- 8 (56mm) is a noticable change for my eye (30 yrs old).

i don't have near the experience as some of the folks on this forum, but i am an avid collector and have had

the pleasure of using some fine optics over the past 16+ years.

i would LOVE to have more highend stuff. (i accept donations , shamelessly)

but i feel like i have had a great deal of field experience w/ the 300-800 dollar beauties often mentioned on this forum.

Nikons, Elite 4200's, Conquests, kahles (1300 bucks), meostar, and a few other lesser scopes.

with special attention for the lowlight performance (ie. dark swamps, and thick hardwoods 1 hour after sundown)

good posts as always. keep up the good work.

J

twofer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2007 at 09:14

I just finished mounting a Kahles CL 3x9 - 42mm with a 4A reticle on my Kimber Montana in 300 WSM using Talley one-piece lightweight low mounts.  IMHO, it is aesthetically a perfectly balanced rig.  Functionally, I like how my eye naturally falls in line with the scope when I mount the rifle.

The Kimber's bolt handle just clears the Kahles' ocular (not enough room to use the flip-up ocular scope cap that came with the scope, though).  I don't like fiddling with the flip-up scope covers in the field, anyway.

I was going to mount my Burris Signature 4x16 - 50mm on the Kimber, but that 50mm objective bell looked out of place to my eye on the sleek Kimber. 

I have had a few range sessions with the rifle, and can't comment on hunting performance or low light performance.

At least during daylight, I have found that the optics of the Kahles are so good that I don't need the increased magnification of the Burris to see the .30 cal holes in the target at 100 yds. (and consequently don't need the 50mm objective the increased magnification would necessitate).

I should point out that I am not a fan of the tactical reticles.  Too much clutter in the sight picture, IMO.  The simplicity of the 4A reticle fits the way my 47-year-old brain processes a sight picture best, especially under hurried shooting situations.

Less is more.

Just my opinion on an admittedly subjective topic.

--twofer

Edited by twofer
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2007 at 09:42

good to hear - the kahles is a fine choice.

let us know how she does in the lowlight.

J

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2007 at 09:50
Although I don't have any experience with the new CL or KX scopes... yet, I would not hesitate to buy any Kahles scope sight unseen, based solely on my previous favorable experiences with Kahles products.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2007 at 11:59

Great choice twofer. Kahles is one of my favorite companies, they are one of a few at the top of my list for

best bang for the buck.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cajun Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2007 at 21:19
Excellent feedback.  Did you go with a multizero or not on the CL?
twofer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2007 at 05:40

Cajun Hunter - I went with the non-Multizero.  Once I find the most accurate loading for the Kimber, I will not be shooting anything else.  I feel that I will get the best performance from the rifle by knowing this one accurate loading really well.  Since I will be shooting only one loading from the rifle, I have no need for the Multizero feature.

I understand, though, how others may need/want to set their rifle up to shoot a few different loadings and would benefit from the Multizero feature of the Kahles scope.

Just my two centavos.

--twofer

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cajun Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2007 at 06:56
Why did you go with the CL and not the KX or was this prior to the KX launch?
twofer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2007 at 07:30

Cajun Hunter - I bought my Kahles CL before the KX was availalbe.  If the optics, etc., of the KX were the same as the CL, I would probably get the KX if buying today (I would do a side-by-side comparison before making a final decision).  I am starting to think that the adjustable parallax of the CL is not all that beneficial in a 3x9 power scope for my use, which is a "do everything from antelope to deer to elk to moose to bear" rifle.

Regardless, I am very happy with my Kahles CL 3x9-42!!  Unless I win the lottery, I will to use this scope for the rest of my hunting days.

Edited by twofer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic