OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

hand loading

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahuebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hand loading
    Posted: February/20/2007 at 10:53

I was going to post this in the thread about 270 vs 7mm but I didn't want to hijack it more than it already was. Coincidentally I am planning to buy the same gun but in a 30-06. I could download a ballistics program and do some comparison for hand loading but I do not have the time to learn that yet so I was hoping to get some input from you guys.

It seems to me that lighter bullets such as 120-140 gr in a 30-06 would shoot as flat as a 7mm. I don't plan on shooting any farther than 200 yds the vast majority of the time, so drop isnt a huge issue for me. I guess I'm just curious how a lighter bullet will perform in a 30-06. I don't like the idea of tearing up too much meat in a 100-175lb deer.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 11:08
Why didn't you just put it in the ballistics and reloading section?   All things being equal bullets of the same ballistic coefficent shoot at the same velocities will have the same trajectory curves regardless of caliber. Since nothing is equal lower BC's must be shot faster to compensate.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 11:19
The guys in our camp generally use the 165 grain Nosler partitions.  Work well and if you sight it on for 200 yds just aim where you want to hit from the muzzle to that distance.  Will be only 1.8 high at 100yds and about 8" low at 300.
God save the Empire!
ahuebel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahuebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 11:48

Didn't realize there was a reloading forum...oops.

The first time I looked at a ballistics calculator I was suprised to see such large drop figures...I wasn't sure if I was reading it correctly. 8" for example seems pretty significant.

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 12:47
If you drop down to a 150 grain you can lessen the drop about an inch depending on the bullet, but your note said probably won't be shooting past 200 most of the time.  Personaly I like the heavy bullet construction over the slight drop advantage.  I don't have data on the 120-140 grains you mentioned but would think they would waste more meat if heavy bone hit.
God save the Empire!
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 12:57

When considering the distances and the relationship the drop is not much. At 500 yds or 1500 ft a drop of 12 in is only 1/1500  or .00066.

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 19:36

These are 30-30 shots... Its a free country... And you can buy what you like.  I personally don't see needing a 30-06 until I need a 180 grn bullet and 200 yards plus.  I understand that some extra power is nice for a hard shot.  I also shoot where it is a bit more crowded than others here, so liablity is a concern.  I only want the power I need to use and not much more. 

With a 200 yard zero the 06 gets you ~.5" "better" at 300 yards than a .308 with basic 150 grain Federal soft point.  If you are already concered about tearing up meat, then why the 06?  Why the light bullet? Why not increase your bullet weight and back off the velocity? At less than 200 yards almost everything shoots flat

Edited by silver
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 20:30
i have had so much success with the 150 grain sierra spitzer in my 30-06 its all i ever shoot out of it, elk deer and bear have fallen from one well placed 150 grain pill.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ronnie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 20:52

if i only could have one gun the 30-06 would probally be the the one.i wouldnt be shooting light bullets thou. mine likes 165 grain remington corlock ,pretty awesome on deer.if you want you can but id rather get a smaaler caliber like 270,280,260 for example for the lighter stuff.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 20:52
Like Silver said, trajectory is not an issue with the .06 at 200 yards. You could download Pyro's 150 for a light recoiling round, too. If you are worried about meat damage you can use their Pro-Hunter. It is tougher than the GameKing and nearly as accurate. Either way, I've never lost a deer to a Sierra boat tail, though. I have taken shoulder shots and broadside shots. The shoulder shots resulted in shrapnel every time and a very dead deer, right on the spot.  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 20:56
i used 50.8 grains of 4064 and its about 2800-2900 fps and the recoil is similar to a 7-08 and i when i shot the elk i didnt waste any meat with a heart shot.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 21:04
That is very good performance and a good shot. Sierras do inspire confidence with their accuracy. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 21:06
and they are affordable for just about any one, thats quality, quantity 100 per box not 50, and reasonable price a triple threat in my book.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 21:45
My Sierra manual, minus updates, is 1985 and that load is very safe. Good powder choice.
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2007 at 09:14
The .30-06 with 165 grain bullets has been a perfect deer and antelope rifle for me.  I use 165-grain Speer Hot-Cores at just over 2600 fps, and everything I've shot with them has gone straight down.  No meat damage, and very effective.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2007 at 09:30

in an 30.06 it's hard to beat the hornady 165grn BTSP - it is great on both paperpunching AND hunting.

it has the 'baseball bat' effect out at longer ranges.  WHAP!!!! lots of energy. excellent meat bullet.

very accurate downrange too.

i have shot sub half inch groups off of sandbags and harvested many many deer with these.

most of them, lights out before they hit the ground.

i am not bragging, just stating my pleasure w/ this bullet. i won't change.

but each gun is different so you owe it to yourself to try a few if you are handloading.

the barnes tsx is good. nosler partitions are good.

those are the only ones besides the hornady ballistic tips, i have tried. those are fine too.

good luck and let us know your findings.

J

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2007 at 09:54

It's nice to hear info about Hornady's and Speer's for a change.

Thanks, guys

scubasteve View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scubasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2007 at 18:02

I just started using Rem Core locs after having used Speers for umpteen years. I am very impressed with them. And they are cheaper than the Speers.

My pet load for my 742 Carbine '06 is 55gr IMR 4350 and a 165gr bullet.All 3 deer I shot with this load this season dropped wher I shot'em. That's something that I haven't had happen with the Speers to often.

My Husky shoots a 180gr bullet more accurately, so that is what I use in it.

No matter the bullet weight, I say shoot what works best in your '06.

ATF should be the name of a convience store, not afederal agency.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic