OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New scope for 300 WSM? Long range!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New scope for 300 WSM? Long range!!
    Posted: February/19/2007 at 05:56

Hi guys, 

I am in the market for a new scope for my custom 300 WSM.  I plan to shoot some long range target and also to hunt with the gun.  I would like to stick with a standard reticle as my elevation adjustments will be made by  clicking the elevation knob and not other means, Such as mill dots etc..  i am also looking for a good low light scope (hunting purposes).  I have considered the Leupold VXIII 4.5-14X50 with the illuminated fine duplex reticle.  What do you think about this scope?  Is the fine duplex to small for big game hunting?  Any other suggestions would certainly be appreciated!!! 

(I know, I want my cake and be able to eat it to)

Edited by canine
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 10:38

canine,  I'm in the same boat, putting together a 300 WSM or Win Mag for target and Alaskan game.

I too want a clean reticle to complement my Leica 1200 rangefinder; however, I am adding a BDC from either Kenton Industries or from the scope maker (like the Zeiss aftermarket BDC service.)

I'm not a huge leupold fan, have owned a few, think better scopes are out there for same or less $$.

At the moment, I'm considering Kahles, Zeiss Conquest, or maybe VX-7, but not real keen on the Leus.  Looking for something that isn't too big, tracks well, good glass, and great warranty.  Have used Nightforce extensively as well as Burris, few Leus, and  Zeiss Conquest.  Mine needs to be strong enough to strap to the wing of a single-engine communter going to BFE Alaska.

Let me know what you do and how it works out.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
canine View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 01:25
I have recently purchased a Meopta Meostar 3-12X50 illuminated red dot (4C).  I love the scope, excellent quality and amazing low light performance.  However, I want target turrets and parallex adjustments on this scope.  The only complaint I have with the illuminated dot on the Meopta is the dot size.  It is not very good for precision long range stuff.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 06:01

yeah, i am not a huge fan of illuminated reticles myself. 

i think you will be very pleased w/ the perfomance of the meostar in hunting enviro's.

let us know a field review.

J

canine View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 06:35
I don't have any complaints of the illuminated feature.  It is excellent.  when you turn it all the way down, It is barely visible at dark.  Not blinding at all.  My problem is the moa dot. 300 yrds it covers about 3 inches
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 06:44

hehe - well isn't that the 'sweet spot'?

shouldn't be a big problem for hunting, but i can see how that would be a problem for paperpunching.

good luck.

J

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic