OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Binocs or spotter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linksmechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Binocs or spotter
    Posted: February/18/2007 at 22:59
Alright guys I need some serious expert advise on my next optics purchase. I'm going to be hunting from 500 to 1200 yards this coming season and am not sure if I should go for a high power spotter or a really nice high power set of binocs perhaps the canon is model. I'm thinking in the higher end for the canon and the mid end for the spotter. I keep getting different answers so please help me buy the right one. Thanks
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 00:09
Those are some pretty "l o n g" distances for hunting! What are you shooting, a .50 cal. Barrett?

For those kind of distances I think that you would need at least a 15x binocular, with some type of a mount, either monopod or tripod. Myself, I would use "both" a high power binocular and a spotting scope. It all depends on how much gear you are "able" to pack along with you.

Starting with "Dual Power" Binoculars:

Leica Duovid 10+15x50mm (around $2500)

Leupold Golden Ring 10x/17x42mm (around $1300)

Minox offers the Minox BD 10-15x40mm BR Vario (variable adjustment) (around $775)

Canon offers a 15x50 and an 18x50 IS, but, cold weather requires a handful of high quality Nikel Metal Hydride rechargeable batteries. The IS is rarely touted as a hunting binocular.

Swarovski offers the SLCnew 15x56mm. (around $2000)

Minox offers the BD 15x58 BR ED/Fluoride-glass for about half the price of the Swarovski. (around $1050)

Nikon offers inexpensive Action Extreme ATB 16x50mm. (under $200)

Fujinon has the 15x60HB roof prism. (around $725)

If these are TOO much magnification for your needs, you could also consider a 12x50mm, there are plenty available on the market from Leupold, Nikon, Pentax, Vortex Razor, etc.

I'll let the other guys chime in on binoculars, as well as spotting scopes. For a long distance spotter I use a Celestron C5 5" 127mm Schmidt-Cassegrain, but, this is NOT intended for hunting, in any sense of the word.

Edited by Bird Watcher
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 07:39

I have nothing to add to BW's suggestions for binoculars. High Mag/X-large objective binoculars are not my cup of tea. I just read an interesting article/comparison between several binoculars of this type of configuration. I will see if I can find out where it was.

As for spotters, that is going to depend on how much you want to spend. If you are going to be using high power predominantly with a spotter then I would highly suggest a model utilizing ED or FL style glass because color fringing is more pronounced the higher you go in magnification.

The usual suspects in the pricing stratosphere would be good..aka Zeiss, Swaro and Leica. Both the Nikon and Pentax spotters are more affordable but offer all but comparable optical performance.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Frank
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 10:09

Originally posted by linksmechanic linksmechanic wrote:

I'm going to be hunting from 500 to 1200 yards this coming season

10x binoculars or 20x spotter on a tripod.

anything above 12x is not handholdable. Image stabilized binoculars are expensive, heavy, fragile, and most of them have poor optics.

Edited by anweis
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 10:32

linksmechanic,

When you say you'll be "hunting" from up to 1200 yards away, does this mean you'll be spot and stalk hunting, where initial identification of game may be that far away, at which point you will stalk within shooting distance, or actually SHOOTING from up to 1200 yards away?  If the former, I agree with the suggestions given.  If the latter, unless you're a world class long range shooter with an EXTREMELY accurate rifle, I would never recommend attempting shots at game animals from 1200 yards away, and for most hunters in most hunting situations, even 500 yards is stretching things a bit as well.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 13:00
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

actually SHOOTING from up to 1200 yards away? 

that would be unethical.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 14:06

Not to mention, most factory rifles aren't accurate enough to attempt such an absurd stunt, regardless of the shooter's skill.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
linksmechanic View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linksmechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 16:56
Not to be rude here but I think a few of you got off the subject. I was wanting advice on buying optics not weather or not I'm a talented individual. By the way have you guys heard of a .338 edge. If not type it into google and you may raise your eyebrows. I'm not a kid that just started shooting yesterday and I rarely shoot under 500 yards. I use a portable weather station, a benchrest, A laptop computer, a rangefinder, and an ex sniper-team leader as my spotter. I have never lost game and have never had to take more than 1 shot. People in wyoming shoot antelope out to 900 yards on a daily basis this isn't something new. Anyway sorry If I caused some concern but I'm not planning on wounding or harming animals and don't really do it as sport but more for the food so please just give me some good advice on my optics purchase. Thanks for all the help.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 17:09
With the way that you have described your set-up, the Canon IS could very well be just the thing for you. It would eliminate the need for a monopod/tripod, as long as you don't mind the NiMH rechargeable batteries.

Nickel Metal Hydride batteries have more power than alkaline, can be recharged or topped off anytime, and don't have the same "memory effect" as NiCads.

Minox makes a MD 62 W ED/Fluoride glass, waterproof spotting scope;optional eyepieces are 22xWW, 30xWW, 40x, 20-45x, and 21x-42xLER.

Edited by Bird Watcher
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linksmechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 17:17
Bird Watcher: Thanks for you excellent advice it is much appreciated. How much time do you expect out of a set of batteries? I don't mind carring batteries. I'm just trying to get away w/ having to buy both units right now and don't really mind the heft of either unit considering I won't be packing much gear farther than out of the back of my vehicle. 
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 17:20
I have some excellent advise on a spotter/bino combo. Leica 77 APO w/20-60 eye piece and and pair of Leica Ultravids in 10x50. Personally, I would not get the Cannon IS as a hunting bino for durability issues. If you have any issues with holding a 10x bino steady, and the average person does, then go with the 8x Ultravids.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 17:35
Duration of NiMH batteries is not something I can guesstimate. It will depend upon the amount of current that the individual binocular requires, how often you use the IS, and even the outside temperature.

This is something that I would suggest you e-mail Canon about.

Personally, if I had to choose between a binocular or a spotting scoope, I would go with the binoculars everytime. Using two eyes is much more enjoyable, and certainly alot less of a hassle, especially under low-light conditions.

Edited by Bird Watcher
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linksmechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 17:46
Roy Finn: I sure would like to have the combo you mention but really can't afford it( my wife would kill me). I know for what I'm doing I need something good but how cheap can I go with what I intend? I Already have 3 large into optics in the past year and need to get into a mid price range. I found a pair of the canons for $800.00 shipped to my door and they are the 15x50 model. I'm not to concerned with durability because like I said I hunt off a bench. If I was going for the short range stalking type I would definitely look elsewhere. How much is that spotter and does it come w/ the eyepiece?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 17:55
The Minox spotter that I mentioned on the previous page runs around $830 with eyepiece(s). Forgot to give the price.

Edited by Bird Watcher
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 18:23

People in wyoming shoot antelope out to 900 yards on a daily basis this isn't something new.

No they don't.

That would involve poaching, which is illegal.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 18:27

Personally, I prefer a high quality bino and a mid priced spotter. It sounds as if you will not be using the spotter for judging game such as horn hunters would do. I don't hunt at the distances you have discribed so I really can't make a personal recommendation. As Bird Watcher stated, I'll take a high quality bino over the spotter every time. FWIW, I have a 15-45 x 60 Bausch & Lomb Elite spotter that I use for range work and it fills my needs just fine. One of the things you should consider with the Cannon IS bino's is the length of warranty. Usually, any optics with electronics on board have short warranties. That is the main reason I would not purchase a pair of Geovids which have something like a 5 year warranty. I would rather buy three Bushnell rangefinders than spend 2500 bucks on the Leica combo. Bino's IMO are for locating/finding game. Spotters just seal the deal for me.

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 18:40

Not to be rude here but I think a few of you got off the subject. I was wanting advice on buying optics not weather or not I'm a talented individual. By the way have you guys heard of a .338 edge. If not type it into google and you may raise your eyebrows. I'm not a kid that just started shooting yesterday and I rarely shoot under 500 yards. I use a portable weather station, a benchrest, A laptop computer, a rangefinder, and an ex sniper-team leader as my spotter. I have never lost game and have never had to take more than 1 shot. People in wyoming shoot antelope out to 900 yards on a daily basis this isn't something new. Anyway sorry If I caused some concern but I'm not planning on wounding or harming animals and don't really do it as sport but more for the food so please just give me some good advice on my optics purchase. Thanks for all the help.

I don't care. You are not a hunter.

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 19:00

*deleted by lucznik

Edited by lucznik
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linksmechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 19:23
Roy Finn: Thanks for the excellent advise also. I think I will follow your's and birdwatchers advice and go w/ the binos. Yes you are correct I am not a horn hunter just a meat hunter on my way to hells canyon for the first time. And to all I offended I truly apologize.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic