OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Jim Zumbo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jim Zumbo
    Posted: February/18/2007 at 13:27

Jim Zumbo editor of Outdoor Life, just threw black gun owners under the bus on his blog. In short he called them terrorist.  I would suggest meaningfull input to his sponcers.  Remington is cited in the blog article.  Ask (nice) if mister Z is speaking for thier company, as well as thier products?

Remington Investor Contact Information

Steve Jackson

Senior Vice President, CFO, Treasure and Secretary

870 Remington Drive

P.O.Box 700

Madison, NC 27025-0700

Phone 336-548-8700

Fax:336-548-7801

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2007 at 13:36
I read the blog. Where does it say Remington endorses this opinion? I see no reason to bother them with this. Bother Zumbo, he's the one that said it.
I know people that are switching to semiautos for coyote hunting. Rapid follow ups when several come into the call makes good sense. Especially at night when using a rimfire. Zumbo just took big dive in my book.

Edited by tahqua
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2007 at 13:40
Can you give us a link to where he said it?
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2007 at 13:41
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2007 at 13:47

Zumbo sells ad space.  You buy ad space to amplify your message.  Remington through an ad agency places ads in Z's magazine and web site. 

Think of it as calling you city councilman when your street does not get cleaned.  Things have to run down hill.

Now, if somebody could tell me how handles the ad acount. Then it can get fun too.

You see these guys "never" get a phone call. Even a few calls get them intersted. 

WWW.formitch.com

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2007 at 13:57

This is Outdoor Life. I think he is wrong as hell on this one.  I will take issue with OL if they defend his position as correct. Otherwise, Zumbo is someone else to add to my "boob" list.

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2007 at 14:33

I just went back to find my response so that I could paste it here. He is getting hammered big time and there are too many responses after mine to bother. The blog is filling up rapidly.

I subscribe to OL and will send them a letter. As for Remington, they make guns with pistol grips and in camo. I don't think they want any part of this.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2007 at 17:43
Just read it.

What a shmuck.

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2007 at 17:49
Tahqua,

was this your response? (hilarious):

You sir are disgusting.

We all know you have a propensity for high-powered bolt action sniper rifles capable of killing from hundreds of yards away. No reasonable hunter would ever need such a weapon for civlized hunting in a civilized society.

The only thing one would ever need is a bow and arrow. The only people who need high powered super bolt action sniper rifles are those playing commando, and they need to be thrown in prison.

JohnRov View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnRov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2007 at 18:37
I've e-mailed his sponsors (they're listed on his web site as show sponsors- www.jimzumbo.com).  The Brady Campaign has been posting his comments all over the place, with the gist of their spin being, "Remington's top gun writer agrees with us on evil black rifles."

The damage someone like Jim can do is much more that a braying anti, and he did it.  He called them terrorist rifles, so I guess our troops are terrorists.  He then issued a half-a$$ed apology saying he was tired when he wrote that. 

I don't blame his sponsors now, but will use them to put pressure on him and will hold them accountable if they continue to sponsor him.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2007 at 18:56

ILya, that wasn't mine. As of now there are almost 2800 responses and I don't see a search function. Searching manually is tedious. That one is real good, though.

Edited by tahqua
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2007 at 19:01

http://www.myspace.com/bradycampaign

Tommy.Millner at Remington.com  You can type that one from home.  And please add editor Snows name now too.

WWW.formitch.com

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2007 at 19:02
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

ILya, that wasn't mine. As of now there is almost 2800 responses and I don't see a search function. Searching manually is tedious right now. That one is real good, though.

When there is a will, there is a way.  Looks familiar?

"Mr. Zumbo, most have already said this but I am compelled to add that your article is a disgrace to sportsman that own ANY type of firearm for any purpose additionally, as a former military service man I have found your comments disgusting and personally insulting."
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2007 at 19:12

That is what a lot of former and active soldiers are saying. I mentioned that I resented being called a terrorist.

I have looked at hundreds of the responses and very, very few support him. The problem is that the damage has been done. OL will take a hit by people that think that OL endorses his opinion. I noticed that several of the bloggers said they were cancelling Remy orders. One blogger said the Brady campaign has picked up on this. This is bad all around. He deserves to take a hit as this is his doing. OL, Remington and even the outfitter have nothing to do with it. That is what blogging is all about. The advertisers are just a frame surrounding the page.

Makes me think of a feeding frenzy by sharks on a human. We taste like sh*t, but once the chomping starts, who cares.

I just visited the Brady Bunch and didn't find anything.

Edited by tahqua
JohnRov View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnRov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 09:36
Remington is dropping their sponsorship of him.  Gresham defended him and called us all bullies and accused us of "eating our own" yesterday on GunTalk.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 09:46

Good for Remington, check out the top of their homepage:

http://www.remington.com/

I forgot to add........Silver, thanks for the lead, it was a good one and very important to most of us here @ OT

Edited by tahqua
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 09:58

I was on the phone to Remington five minutes ago.  I cheated and asked for the CFO's office.  I explained I was a long time Remington customer and would like to poltily complain about Mister Zumbo.  The lady was very nice and after a pause sent me to the Marketing offices Voice mail. 

I asked that the editors of Outdoor Life be sent to Thunder Ranch or Gunsite for "sensitivity" training. Because they had done harm to Remington's business and reputation.

WWW.formitch.com

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 09:58
Good.  Zumbo said something stupid and he is suffering the consequences.  That's his own damn fault.

ILya
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 10:04

He's even taking a beating on his apology blog. He's history, and Gresham isn't much better. Eating our own after betrayal, what's the problem with that.

Remember the kid that was bugged in Red Dawn, oh well.

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/i_was_wrong_big.h tml

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 10:14

Figured I'd post his original post, Outdoor Life's response and Dumbo's appology before its deleted off his site.

We saw him at a restaurant in Orlando during S.H.O.T. and I almost went up to him to shake his hand, I am glad I didn't now.

------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------

Assault Rifles For Hunters?

As I write this, I'm hunting coyotes in southeastern Wyoming with Eddie Stevenson, PR Manager for Remington Arms, Greg Dennison, who is senior research engineer for Remington, and several writers. We're testing Remington's brand new .17 cal Spitfire bullet on coyotes.

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries and woods.

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------

UPDATE: As a point of clarification about this blog, it is important for everyone to realize that the opinions expressed here are Jim’s and not necessarily those of Outdoor Life.

I’ve been friends with Jim for many years and have shared countless great times with him talking about both hunting and guns. While I totally support Jim’s right to express his point of view—this is his blog after all—I don’t happen to agree with him on this matter.

His position that AR- and AK-style rifles don’t have a place among our “sporting arms” is not one that I personally, or Outdoor Life as a magazine, happens to share.

In the six years that I’ve worked at Outdoor Life we have never wavered in our support of our Second Amendment rights, which don’t, and shouldn’t, make a distinction about the cosmetic look of the guns that we choose take to our local gun clubs or into hunting camp.

That said, I don’t expect every other hunter and sportsman out there to have a set of opinions that moves in lockstep with mine. So while I don’t share Jim’s view on this, I also know that he is still the same wonderfully talented and good-natured person he was before this post went up. For those of you who have followed him for all or part of his more than thirty years at Outdoor Life, I would ask you to bear that in mind before damning him with personal attacks.

John B. Snow
Executive Editor
Outdoor Life

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------

I was wrong, BIG TIME

Someone once said that to err is human. I just erred, and made without question, the biggest blunder in my 42 years of writing hunting articles.

My blog inflamed legions of people I love most..... hunters and shooters. Obviously, when I wrote that blog, I activated my mouth before engaging my brain.

Let me explain the circumstances surrounding that blog. I was hunting coyotes, and after the hunt was over and being beat up by 60 mph winds all day, I was discussing hunting with one of the young guides. I was tired and exhausted, and I should have gone to bed early. When the guide told me that there was a "huge" following of hunters who use AR 15's and similar weapons to hunt prairies dogs, I was amazed. At that point I wrote the blog, and never thought it through.

Now then, you might not believe what I have to say, but I hope you do. How is it that Zumbo, who has been hunting for more than 50 years, is totally ignorant about these types of guns. I don't know. I shot one once at a target last year, and thought it was cool, but I never considered using one for hunting. I had absolutely no idea how vast the numbers of folks are who use them.

I never intended to be divisive, and I certainly believe in United we Stand, Divided we Fall. I've been an NRA member for 40 years, have attended 8 national NRA conventions in the last 10 years, and I'm an advisory board member for the United States Sportsmen's Alliance which actively fights anti-hunters and animal rights groups for hunter's rights.

What really bothers me are some of the unpatriotic comments leveled at me. I fly the flag 365 days a year in my front yard. Last year, through an essay contest, I hosted a soldier wounded in Iraq to a free hunt in Botswana. This year, through another essay contest, I'm taking two more soldiers on a free moose and elk hunt.

When I started blogging, I was told to write my thoughts, expressing my own opinion. The offensive blog I wrote was MY opinion, and no one else's. None of the companies that I deal with share that opinion, nor were they aware of what I had written until this firestorm started. 

Believe it or not, I'm your best friend if you're a hunter or shooter, though it might not seem that way. I simply screwed up.   And, to show that I'm sincere about this, I just talked to Ted Nugent, who everyone knows, and is a Board member of the NRA. Ted is extremely active with charities concerning our wounded military, and though he's known as a bowhunter, Ted has no problem with AR 15's and similar firearms. My sincerity stems from the fact that Ted and I are planning a hunt using AR 15's. I intend to learn all I can about them, and again, I'm sorry for inserting my foot in my mouth.

------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------

Remington.com

AlertNOTICE: Remington is in the process of severing our sponsorships with Mr. Zumbo.  Remington in no way shares or advocates any of the comments made by Mr. Zumbo on his blog site.  A formal announcement will be released by noon today.

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------

ALL - Jim Zumbo in NO WAY speaks for Remington! His opinions are his own. We at Remington take our 2nd Ammendment Rights extremely seriously and ourselves market and manufacturer a AR based 308 rifle. Remington Arms supports the lawful us

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic