OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

DGR Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prueman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DGR Scope
    Posted: February/16/2007 at 19:49

Am looking for a scope to mount on my Win 70 458 mag. Think it should be 1.75-6(or so)x 33 with German 4a reticle. Any suggestion?

thanks,

Michael

Michael
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2007 at 19:54

Hello prueman

Do you have a price limit?

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2007 at 19:57
11420 Aimpoint 2x 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight                        Aimpoint 2x 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight
  • Matte
  • 1 MOA
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
SWFA: $422.95
More Info... Buy Now
TR21R Trijicon 1.25-4x24 Accu-Point Rifle Scope                   Trijicon 1.25-4x24 Accu-Point Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle BAC
  • 1"
SWFA: $534.95
More Info... Buy Now

512A65 EOTech 510 Tactical Holosight Rev. F                        EOTech 510 Tactical Holosight Rev. F
  • 65 MOA Ring w/ 1 MOA Dot
  • Free Neoprene Protective Cover w/ Purchase
  • Free 2 "AA" Batteries w/ Purchase
SWFA: $376.95
More Info... Buy Now

TX30 Trijicon Tri-Power Reflex Sight                             Trijicon Tri-Power Reflex Sight
  • Matte
  • Red Chevron
  • 30mm
  • Free Trijicon Scope Cover w/ Purchase
  • Free Trijicon Lens Pen w/ Purchase
  • Free Trijicon 30mm Weaver Ring w/ Purchase
  • Free 4 Batteries w/ Purchase
SWFA: $499.95
More Info... Buy Now

Oh and now the type you were expecting

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
prueman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prueman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2007 at 09:44
Originally posted by Trinidad Trinidad wrote:

Hello prueman

Looking for "value". Since posting this, saw that Leupold has a european 2-7x33 30mm. Still considering other's.

thanks

Michael
prueman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prueman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2007 at 09:52

Urimaginaryfrnd

The nikon looks like a possibility, but wanted a smaller objective. Also, thinking about an illuminated reticle like in the Leupold VXIII 1.5-5x20mm illuminated german 4 dot. I would have to look through one first to get a feel for the FOV. Thinking the illuminated dot would help pick out the target against brush. Yeah, I heard the agruments about battery failures, etc.

Edited by prueman
Michael
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2007 at 10:29
Originally posted by prueman prueman wrote:

Hello prueman

Looking for "value". Since posting this, saw that Leupold has a european 2-7x33 30mm. Still considering other's.

thanks

The Leupold, imo, would be an excellent choice.  It is well priced for a Leupold scope and we all know they are rugged scopes with a great warranty.  For that caliber riflle, you probably do not need that much magnification, as I assume if you are going to go African plains hunting, it will be for Cape buffalo or larger game.  Therefore, another choice that is a great value, is the IOR fixed 4x with a 32mm objective and the 4a reticle, very similar to what you want.  It is shown below.  Great scope for the money and for the type of hunting with that rifle you are going to do, is all the scope you need.

IOR4X32H4A IOR 4x32 Hunting Rifle Scope IOR 4x32 Hunting Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • 4a
  • 1"
SWFA: $299.95
More Info... Buy Now

IOR 4x32 Hunting Rifle Scope

Send this page to a friend

The 4x32 Hunter is manufacture to ISO 9001, the elite European quality standard, using the finest materials and the finest glass in the world.

• Fully multi coating and anti reflex treatment on all optical elements, eliminating glare and maximizing light transmission
  • One piece steel housing, "O" ring seals
  • Waterproof
  • Fog Proof
  • Recoil proof
  • Glass photoengraved reticle
  • High resolution optic system
  • Finger adjustable knobs
  • Superior mechanisms of unequaled accuracy and repeatability
  • Glass made by Schott Glasswerk, Germany
  • Diopter adjustment -4 to +4 DPT
  • Reticle adjustment range 68 MOA
Specifications
Weight (oz): 14

IOR 4a
4a

Length (in): 10.75
Eye Relief (in): 3.5
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 29
Exit Pupil (mm): 8
MOA: 1/4
Lens Coating: Fully Multi-Coated
Warranty: Limited Lifetime

< style="MARGIN: 0px" =/addtocart.asp method=get>
Order Here
Stock # Price Quantity  
IOR4X32H4A $299.95 < id=qty size=3 value=1 name=qty>

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2007 at 10:56

I would give the Trijicon some serious consideration as well as the  EOTech  which are built to withstand combat conditions. With a dangerous game gun you are likely shooting at under 100 yards and sometimes at arms length so very little magnification if any is the rule. The EOTech reports I get back from my friends in Iraq are that it is about a second and a half faster than anything else to engage a target in combat. (That second and a half can be a lifetime.) The 65 moa circle with 1moa center dot is affectionatley refered to at the circle of death. Plus it runs on AA batteries that are easy to find and turns itself off after 8 hrs.  As for the TR21R it is tritium plus fiber optic and is always on without batteries plus has Post reticle which is a fine choice for your application.  The things you hunt will hunt you at night so a Trijicon lit reticle that doesn't have to be turned on may make a big difference to you.  As for the Nikon the 1.5-6x42 gives you a 7mm exit eye pupil even at max power so it is a bright scope for a traditional optic.  I have one lit reticle Leupold and the switch is a little strange it will spinn all the way around rather than have a definate stopping point like my aimpoint has. I had one of the Trijicon Acupoint scopes in a 3-9 but sent it back and went with a TAO1B Trijicon  which I really like. As for EOTechs I have one on order. 

(Note the photo on the TR21R is the wrong photo it is a photo of a 3-9 model and the TR21R has a smaller 24mm front objective.) 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2007 at 11:11
Sorry Dolphin I have to disagree with the 4x.  If I could afford twenty grand to hunt a cape buffalo I would spend more on the scope and I think a fixed 4x is the kiss of death when things are up close and personal. There is a reason they use double rifles with express sights on dangerous game at arms length. There is often no time for working the action of a rifle and very little for sight acquesition.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2007 at 12:05
Originally posted by prueman prueman wrote:

Hello prueman

thanks

The leupy Euro has poor glass and VXIII is overpriced for the quality you get, here is a few of my choices:

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/326014/meopta_1.5-5x20_m eostar_r1_30mm_rifle_scope.htm

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/200710/burris_1.75-5x32_ signature_safari_rifle_scope.htm

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/IOR114X26HILL4A/new_ior_ 1.1-4x26_hunting_30mm_rifle_scope.htm

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1447-1175-kahles-11-4x24-helia-c-30mm -riflescope.aspx

Edited by Trinidad
prueman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prueman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2007 at 14:09

Thanks, gents

The Burris and the IOR look interesting as does the Meopta. I will have to find a store that carries them to get a first hand view of each.

Prueman

Michael
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2007 at 14:21

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Sorry Dolphin I have to disagree with the 4x.  If I could afford twenty grand to hunt a cape buffalo I would spend more on the scope and I think a fixed 4x is the kiss of death when things are up close and personal. There is a reason they use double rifles with express sights on dangerous game at arms length. There is often no time for working the action of a rifle and very little for sight acquesition.

I have to disagree with you.  If you go to many of the African Safari sites, their PHs frequently mention that a 4x scope is all you need to hunt Cape buffalo and hence one of the reasons I recommended that scope.  The FOV on the IOR is excellent and aquisition of a charging animal should only occur after a missed shot, or a good shot, but by another animal.  But, that is why you are with PHs.  I am not an expert on African plains hunting, but have read enough to know that a 4x scope is frequently used and seen the same on many of the hunting shows.  If you were charged by a Cape buffalo, I am not sure I would take the time to turn the magnification dial down to one and then reaquire the target.

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2007 at 14:36
Interesting debate.  If it was me, and I was hunting buff, would be either express sights or a ghost ring with a big ramp front sight.  I have seen lots of those pictures too and most of the time seems they were hunting in pretty tall grasslands/scrub at short ranges.
God save the Empire!
Mannlicher7 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mannlicher7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2007 at 00:39

Hello guys! I just suscribed into this forum...because I read what Dolphin posted..... and I would like to share with you my experiences so we can avoid repeating mistakes that can cost us more than a penny ....

Dolphin: If you will be using optics for your buffalo then you MUST buy one that withstands the .458 recoil, have a reasonable eye relief AND the widest field of view at very short range. A couple of years ago I was charged by a wounded wildebeest. I had my Zeiss set on 2.5X ( the lowest). The beast charged from about fifty yards and the problem was that I couldn't put it "inside" the scope although it would fit (barely) but only motionless. So, I took the scope off and I managed to drop it with a lucky frontal neck spine shot with my .375. If I were using a 1.1X or 1.4X I should had no problem or at least not so inminently serious. If you can buy the least expensive high quality scope for that .458 you would ensuring your skin for those days when almost everything goes wrong....

My advice is the Kahles CT 1.1-4X24. Reasonable eye relief (9cm.) rugged construction, cristal clear and...PRECISE adjustments. I do not recommend Leupold because despite having one of the largest eye relief I ever saw, they advertise 1.whatever X and in reality the magnification start at 2. +/- 3. and this difference matters...

Also that is the reason because I would not buy the Nickel (Gerhardt) wich has 12.5cms eye relief but the same field of view at 1.5X than my 2.5X setting on my Zeiss. It's too much for a big animal running at 30 or 40 yards!

If you are not in a budget mode then buy the Zeiss series V or the Schmidt and Bender (maybe the Zenith because the Classic Model 1.?-4X is no longer in production)

Anyway be sure to mount the scope in a high quality detachable mount. I use EAW. Never failed on me and they mantain pretty much the zeroing no matter the caliber !!....

As for the advertised scope power setting for Africa it will depend from who's typewriter you are looking through.... Don´t believe on that rubbish!! The hunters I know in there (the vast majority) use scopes like the 1.5-6x42 and a few PH just plain iron sights....

Happy hunting!!

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2007 at 10:20
Originally posted by Mannlicher7 Mannlicher7 wrote:

Hello guys! I just suscribed into this forum...because I read what Dolphin posted..... and I would like to share with you my experiences so we can avoid repeating mistakes that can cost us more than a penny ....

Dolphin: If you will be using optics for your buffalo then you MUST buy one that withstands the .458 recoil, have a reasonable eye relief AND the widest field of view at very short range. A couple of years ago I was charged by a wounded wildebeest. I had my Zeiss set on 2.5X ( the lowest). The beast charged from about fifty yards and the problem was that I couldn't put it "inside" the scope although it would fit (barely) but only motionless. So, I took the scope off and I managed to drop it with a lucky frontal neck spine shot with my .375. If I were using a 1.1X or 1.4X I should had no problem or at least not so inminently serious. If you can buy the least expensive high quality scope for that .458 you would ensuring your skin for those days when almost everything goes wrong....

My advice is the Kahles CT 1.1-4X24. Reasonable eye relief (9cm.) rugged construction, cristal clear and...PRECISE adjustments. I do not recommend Leupold because despite having one of the largest eye relief I ever saw, they advertise 1.whatever X and in reality the magnification start at 2. +/- 3. and this difference matters...

Also that is the reason because I would not buy the Nickel (Gerhardt) wich has 12.5cms eye relief but the same field of view at 1.5X than my 2.5X setting on my Zeiss. It's too much for a big animal running at 30 or 40 yards!

If you are not in a budget mode then buy the Zeiss series V or the Schmidt and Bender (maybe the Zenith because the Classic Model 1.?-4X is no longer in production)

Anyway be sure to mount the scope in a high quality detachable mount. I use EAW. Never failed on me and they mantain pretty much the zeroing no matter the caliber !!....

As for the advertised scope power setting for Africa it will depend from who's typewriter you are looking through.... Don´t believe on that rubbish!! The hunters I know in there (the vast majority) use scopes like the 1.5-6x42 and a few PH just plain iron sights....

Happy hunting!!

You make a good point, as despite what I have read and seen, when I watch all the hunting shows, the PHs use iron sights when using .458s .416s .460s etc.  Therefore, if one is able to handle the recoil of these rifles and can use iron sights, that would be the way to go.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2007 at 11:10

That 4x IOR would be an excellent choice for most big game guns. I took a 4x Burris off my .375 and put a 1.5-5 Leo on for the field of view reason mentioned. I also have it in Talley quick detachable mounts.

I shot a large black bear that ran into the cedars, once. I took the scope off then and there and felt more confident when I walked in. Bear was dead within 15 yards but the visibility was less. My eye balls @ 0x have a nice field of view in this situation.

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2007 at 14:09
"That's why a 1-4 is so good", up close and personal I'll still take irons. Something about having that chunk of glass and iron in front of my right eye still reduces peripheral vision. That's why my Aimpoint will never go on a bird or fowl gun. Well, not the only reason. It would look ugly and be unbalanced.

Edited by tahqua
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2007 at 15:26

I haven't shot clays but I do shoot trap and skeet. I use both eyes open for these sports as well as wing shooting and waterfowling. My Aimpoint is 1X and it still bothers me. The problem is that when anything is put in front of my dominant eye, even a finger, it is a distraction and it affects my peripheral vision. I still have lower power variables on my big game rifles, but like the situation with that bear, I was far more comfortable with point and shoot by going scopeless.

I shoot my airguns extensively and I find a quick way to pick a target up is with an aperature site. The larger the aperature the better. The open V and express sites, are even faster. I don't have a .458 or .416, yet. If I did I would still go with a 1 or 1.5-whatever in detachable mounts, quality ones like Talleys. But for me, nothing is faster than instinctive shooting with the front site. For this reason I still practice off hand with irons.

Edited by tahqua
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic