OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss, Swarovski, S&B ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss, Swarovski, S&B ?
    Posted: February/15/2007 at 14:58
I have heard alot of talk about which one is the best for low light hunting. Which one do you think is the best?
bama
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2007 at 15:06

To my eyes S&B followed very close by non-lotu tec ZeissVM/V T*. I have not seen the new Lotu-tec coated ones.

Edited by SVD666
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2007 at 15:40

i would have to say the vm/v diavari's - they are very very easy on my eyes.

super bright. super crisp.

J

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2007 at 15:40

then again, any of them would be at the top of the list.

they are all great.

J

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2007 at 18:54
I can only comment on Zeiss and Swaro, as I don't have much experience with S&B.  Between those two, I'd probably give a slight -- super duper razor thin slight -- edge to the Zeiss.  Truthfully, I believe I'm not exactly going out on a limb in saying all three are "best."  I suspect that picking the absolute best low light performer of these heavyweights is like picking the "best" sportscar from $500k+ Italian and German supercars.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2007 at 19:04

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I suspect that picking the absolute best low light performer of these heavyweights is like picking the "best" sportscar from $500k+ Italian and German supercars.

No need to drop 500K, this will do just fine.

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=105&i=12366

Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2007 at 14:08
 I agree any one off the 3 would be great, personly I went with the S&B Zenith.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2007 at 14:17
The Zenith is a fine scope,great for short actions. It is strange here in America it is the more expensive of the two compared to the Classic variable but in Europe at alot of shops the oposite is true. I think this has to do with the demand and the calibers used.
CBM SC View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBM SC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 10:46

I have a Swarovski PV 3X12X50-30mm and a Ziess Diavari 3x9x42-1" !! At extreme low light(dark 30) it is really hard to tell ............one evening I think the Ziess is more clear ..........next time I try it I decide I would be more confident taking a shot with the  Swarovski !!

I really want to test my buddies Diavari 3x12x56-30 mm to my Swarovski and see !! He also has a S&B 2.5 x10x56 and says he likes the Ziess better in low light !! His S&B is blurry looking to me on 10 power during the daylight........seems fine on 8 or below(??).......I don't know if something is wrong with it or not... but I didn't like that about it very much !!

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 11:25
I honestly believe your reticle choice probably has more effect on which of these 3 fine scopes would be the best low light performer than optical qualities, given the same magnification and objective size, but then again, I have no experience with S&B in low light.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 19:34

I own all three and have compared all three side by side in low light, but the problem is that they are different objective sizes.

Swaro 1.5-6x42  PH

Swaro 2.5-10x42 PH

Zeiss  3-12x56 VM/V

S&B  3-12x42 Var.

In low light, I favor the S&B over the Swarovskis by a slight margin.  You can refer to my post in the Members Reviews section for a lengthy review.

Between the Zeiss and the S&B, I compared them for a hour side by side one evening until complete darkness.  I could not tell any noticable difference until the last  3 or 4 minutes.  The Zeiss did turn out to be slightly brighter but it amazed me how little difference there was.  It was the last 3 or 4 minutes and it was way after legal shooting time.  I could turn back the power on the S&B 1-2x and it was as bright as the Zeiss.  I would like to have had a Zeiss 2.5-10x42 for comparison.  I personally have seen objective size matter very little in side by side tests.  Glass quality is by far the most important factor.  So for me on the tbone rating scale.

10-  Zeiss, S&B

9-  Swaro PH

8-  Swaro- A line

Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 09:26
Like someone said above, I don't have any experience with S&B, but I do have experience with Swaro, Kahles & Zeiss. To me the brightest scope of the 3 is the Zeiss 3-12x56 V/MV without any doubt. I'm talking in any weather conditions to. If you have the $$$ to spend get the 3-12x56 Zeiss.
gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2007 at 13:00
Boy, that's a tough one. I have to agree with RifleDude's sportscar analogy on this one! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic