OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for a Savage 10FP-LE2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terretsboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for a Savage 10FP-LE2
    Posted: February/15/2007 at 13:41

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and had a question:

I was wondering if anyone had suggestion for a scope for Savage 10FP-LE2 (.308) that I am buying tomorrow.  I am planning on using it for hunting coyote, target (maybe competition in the future), and general plinking at long distances.  I was thinking about an illuminated reticle of some sort.

I will have a leupold base and rings.  (I haven't revceived it yet but i think they are 1")

I was hoping to spend under $200.  Any suggestions? Thanks!

Edited by Terretsboy
3trickplays07 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3trickplays07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2007 at 13:46

Monarchs are clearanced priced, a bit more than $200, but you're not going to find a better deal no matter what the brand.  $302 for a 5.5x16.5x44.  That's what I ordered and it'll handle the long shots just fine.

Terretsboy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terretsboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2007 at 13:55
If there were a scope that fit me perfectly and I'd never have to buy another I would be willing to go up to and around $300
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terretsboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2007 at 14:06
Originally posted by 3trickplays07 3trickplays07 wrote:

Monarchs are clearanced priced, a bit more than $200, but you're not going to find a better deal no matter what the brand.  $302 for a 5.5x16.5x44.  That's what I ordered and it'll handle the long shots just fine.

Where so you see them for this price?

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terretsboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2007 at 15:04
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2007 at 15:09
Originally posted by Terretsboy Terretsboy wrote:

Anyone have any opinions on Tasco?  Namely: http://www.moosegear.com/products/tasco-targetvarmint-10-40x 50-18-moa-dot-matte-riflescope-21669.html

Poor QC,inferior materials,waste of money.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terretsboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2007 at 15:35
Should I spring the extra for an illuminated recticle?
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2007 at 15:59
For scopes in this price range a IR would not be a wise choice over a investment in better glass.

Edited by SVD666
shakylx View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakylx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2007 at 10:01

I would suggest a nikon buckmaster 4.5-14 or a 6-18 off of the sample list lifetime guarantee great optics and the option of target knobs only down fall is the lack of internal adjustments so you would need a 20 moa base if you are a clicker

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3trickplays07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 21:53

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1942-218-nikon-55-165x44-monarch-ucc- riflescope.aspx

When I ordered mine, they had this model in stock.

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 15:20

For long range and targets it is had to beat this deal at SWFA

http://www.swfa.com/pc-6851-218-nikon-65-20x44-monarch-ucc-r iflescope.aspx

6 may be a little much for up close but it is a great scope, I bought one and it is very clear, bright and easy to use scope that is great for long shots.

Duce 

Duce
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3trickplays07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 19:21
From another thread, the 6.5x20's are backordered.  Three weeks out or so.  It would be well worth a phone call and see what they have in stock.  I got the "any day" line for a week and a half before I went with the lower power Nikoplex.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic