OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Idea’s for gun room.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Idea’s for gun room.
    Posted: February/11/2007 at 00:14
       Ok guys, I'm in the process of remodeling my basement, and one of the spare room's I'm turning into a gun room. I would like to see some pictures of some of your gun rooms & reloading benches to help me out with some idea's for mine.       
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 02:18

I have two rooms.

One for reloading and one for the guns.

The reloading room is nearly finnished and looks ok.

But here is where we started at.

Here is the Gun room.

It's a 42 ton strong room from a bank that I got for free if I removed it from the premises.

It's 10 square meters inside.

To an american this probably looks stupid, but If we in Sweden want to have more than 10 pistols OR 20 longguns we need a safe (normally weight at least 2000lbs.). All that is kept lower than the 10 pistols and 20 rifles can stay with a gunsafe.

I do today have a 3 ton safe where my guns are, but during this spring I hope to start to use the strong room.

This is when it was built up in my garden, since then we have built a house around it.

More pictures to follow later.

Regards Technika

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 13:30
Yellowdog, I've been looking at this one and deciding what to post. But damn, technika, that's hard core. I am looking towards more pics. I don't think it looks stupid as I am sure there are people around that have similar gun rooms.....................buried in the ground
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 18:08
make sure its fire proof and buy one of those browning vault doors, im gonna do that when i build my new house, i am going to use logix foam blocks and build my walls then pour 12" of mud for a roof over the gun room then buy a browning vault door.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 18:54

A friend of mine has a full basement, but tells everybody that there is a big piece of bedrock that they had to work around; that's why is basement is more of an "L".    Behind the bar is a piece of panneling that hids the door, to a "vaulted" area.

My buddy has some extra storage behind the peg board in his work shop.  There are books on secret hinding places.  I think that these are every bit as useful as a safe. 

I would suggest going some place that does custom kitchens and having a long talk.  You can hid a lot of stuff behind some custom storage. You can also get more out of the place when it sell.

The High Road and The Fireing Line have had threads on this sort of thing. Guns are not going to get less expencive or easier to replace.

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 23:22
My reloading area is in my workshop. My guns are in a safe that is kept in a study with some of my mounts and wildlife art. I'll post pics tomorrow.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2007 at 07:35

Originally posted by rootmanslim rootmanslim wrote:

1. reinforced concrete on sides & roof.Rebar and 4 inch heavy mesh. Try and use 2 outside walls.
2. vault door (2 if you live in LA, NY, Chicago or Miami)
3. two intrusion alarm systems. one in the basement, another in the vault
4. peppergas system in the vault with remote controlled rapid ventilation evacuation system
5. pinhole camera recording system covering the vault
6. good guns in safes in the vault, four or five non functioning junkers in plain view in the basement.
7. a motion activated loudspeaker that warns in english, spanish, ebonics and whatever else is living in your public parks language that they have entered an armed area and serious injury or death may result. (keep the attorneys happy)
8. 4 starving pit bulls in vault (that's a joke)
9. 4 claymores set to detonate when vault alarm goes off (that's another joke)(you would not want to hurt the pooches)

OR move to my town in WY where no one has ever been convicted for shooting a robber. we even made "City Confidential"!

in boulder though the old lady that owned the gas station got slapped on the writst for shooting at an intruder though

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2007 at 12:28

that's true.  it's getting pretty bad when we can't even protect our own property. we are heading that way soon.

i would hesitate for about half a second..............then  i would do what any respectable man would do to protect his family.

back on topic:

what fireproof safe brand is affordable and would hold up to 10 long guns? any suggestions? or should i go 'gun room' and get the door?

thanks

J

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2007 at 12:35
Hi

I don't know anything about US availible items made for the public.
But I do have a number of safes from Banks, and those have orignally costed over 10000 dollars each.
I have paid around 400-1000 dollars each.
Those safes weight 5000 lbs and are internally 2x2x6 ft. inside.
They are classified for 2 hours fire.

I belive that this is much better, cheaper and more durable than any commersially availble gun safe.

Regards Technika

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2007 at 12:38

i don't want to know ALL your secrets, technika - good reply thanks.

where do you find these bank safes? can you PM me? i AM stateside, keep in mind.

thanks!!

J

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2007 at 16:41

Here is a pic of a Bank safe.

It's one of the 5000 Lbs+ safes that I described.

The boxes  you see inside is glockboxes and the long guns inside is a BREN MK2 and a Browning 1919A4 for size comparision.

This safe is similar to the one I have in my home.

Here is a smaller safe, weight is probably just over 3000 LBS but it can't store full legnth rifles.

Regards Technika

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2007 at 09:41

impressive. i need me a few of those.

J

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2007 at 19:07

I am of a differant school of thought... If they can't find "it," then they can't steal "it."

My buddy had to borrow a couple of guys and forktruck from work to move his safe in.  Since he just built the house. He could have changed the wall design a bit and had a safe door for less money and more convienace.  A couple of pieces of stained T-111on that wall and nobody would have been the wiser

WWW.formitch.com

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2007 at 01:57

I am actually working on that theory to.

I have installed a smoke generator so my home is filled with thick grey smoke within 20-30 seconds from the break in started.

What you can't see, you can't steal......

I have got a cuople of questions how I managed to find those safes.

Here in Sweden we have a webpage where individuals and companys advertises their items to sell for a fixed price.

Everything can be bought there, guns, cars, machinery everything.

You do surely have a number of those websites in the US to.

I have found mostly of the safes there.

I did also found a complete bankvault there, prefabricated 20 ton vault that I don't use.

costed me 500 dollars.

Also not uncommon to find vault doors there.

Regards Technika

yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2007 at 13:24
     Technika, If you happen to stumble across any of those kind of websites for us here in the US, fire some my way. I've never seen or heard of any like that here.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2007 at 13:10

Originally posted by yellowdog yellowdog wrote:

Technika, If you happen to stumble across any of those kind of websites for us here in the US, fire some my way. I've never seen or heard of any like that here.

Try the Trader or the various regional clones like Penny Wise, Thrifty Nickle on your stop and rob store newstand for around a buck

WWW.formitch.com

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2007 at 16:25

Here is some more pictures of my reloading room but after renovation.

The bench is 5 yards long and the legs are mounted in an angle towards the wall to have more place for my own legs....

The Presses are from left to right CH single, CH 4 station (my intention is just to seat rifle bullets with it), Green machine (should be converted to 9mm), Dillon 550 in 45 ACP and other cartridges with large primers, and Star in .38 Spl.

I prefer to keep one progressive press in each pistolround i fire a lot and reload all rifle on the CH presses.

Right now is the bench also for photography so the f station CH and the green machine is not mounted or in use.

All ligth is with daylight temperature colour, and that makes a huge difference in how the feeling is.

It does never feel like it's night there even if the time is 2  o'clock in the morning.........

Hope the pictures can give you some idea about your gunroom.

Regards Technika

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2007 at 17:10
I think even Rick Jamison would be impressed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic