OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ZEISS 2.5-10x42 Diavari?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ZEISS 2.5-10x42 Diavari?
    Posted: February/10/2007 at 20:01
I am looking at hard at this scope. It sure is light for a 30mm scope. Anyone look through one of these? How does it look at the lowest and highest power? I am wanting the #4 reticle.

any info or feedback on this is appreciated!
Pred6D 1CD View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pred6D 1CD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 20:08
Cant speak for the 2.5 X 10, But I have a Zeiss 3 - 9X32 Diavari and you can't beat them.  Its well worth the money.  Once you go Zeiss, its hard to look through anything else. 
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 21:26

I have not spent time with that pacticilar model but the 3-12x56 is top of the line in every way,

I would expect nothing less from this model.

tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 00:44
I haven't looked through the 2.5-10x42 either because no store around has had one in stock.  I have owned the 1.5-6x42 VM/V and the 3-12x56 VM/V and both have had outstanding optics.  It seems like an unbelievable scope.  I bought the Swaro 2.5-10x42 PH, I think right before Zeiss introduced this scope.  It seems like a perfect hunting scope.  As with most scopes in the VM/V series, very short and light for a 2.5-10, low profile, exceptional field of view, and superb optics.  I have never seen a VM/V that wasn't very impressive optically.  If I were in the market for a 2.5-10x42, I would definately give this serious consideration.  As I said, since I haven't personally seen one, I can't say it's a slam dunk.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 04:27

I have looked through  a couple.

Light weight, optically superb, and your choice of the #4 reticle is good to go also.

SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 07:34
Thanks

The only thing I wonder about is the 1st plane reticle. Zeiss states the crosshairs subtend .54" @ 100 yards but I have always found that 1st plane reticles appear larger than they actually state in print.

I like the eye relief @ 3.54" median.
I like the huge FOV.
I like the fact that it weighs the same as a 3-9x40 conquest while in a bigger, better package.

I dont see this on SWFA's website??
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 07:47

I'd give The Optics Goddess a shout tomorrow at SWFA, Sako.

Looks like the website is getting updated.

BTW, you can try SWFA.com instead of riflescopes.com.

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 07:59

the only diavari i have had in my possession is the 56mm and it was nothing short of breathtaking.

i wouldn't think twice about this scope. get it, and love it.

the #4 is a fine choice of lowlight, quick acquisition reticle.

good luck.

J

maine(r) View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maine(r) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 08:17

The VM/V line has been removed from the SWFA web site...Only the 1.5-6x42 with lotu-tec remains.  My guess is that they are phasing in the lotu-tec coated model. 

So the next question is... when are the non lotu-tec VM/V's scopes going to the Sample List?

tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 11:51
Sako 75,  I'm sure you would want to look through it for yourself, to remove your reservations, but I personally wouldn't be overly concerned about the 1st plane reticle.  In both VM/Vs that I have had, the reticles have been the perfect size, and are not too large.  I have always used the #8 which is similar to the #4.  As far as the differences go.  My Zeiss and Swaro seem to subtend about the same amount with the Zeiss being slightly thicker at the same magnification.  My S&B seems to subtend slightly farther than both the Swaro and Zeiss and is slightly thicker than both.  In my opinion the Swaro is a little to thin and can sometimes be lost in low-light situations.  This is one reason I prefer a 1st plane is that I can thicken it up enough to see in most any situation.  The Zeiss is a little better and the S&B is the best in this regard.  I have a 3-12x42 S&B and a 3-12x56 Zeiss.  Both at 12x the S&B is thicker and subtends noticably further.  It may be partly due to the size of the objective but also the size of the reticle.  I am not sure what you are looking for.
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 12:16
THANKS TBONE1

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE ZEISS #8?
WHAT RETICLE DO YOU HAVE IN THE S&B?

I like the #4 better because the posts come closer and I can range estimate with it easier on deer....

I was looking at a swaro Z6 in 2-12x50 but the fact that swaro has the audacity to launch a scope that price and only put a 10 year warranty with it is pathetic! The kicker is the AV and PH series still have limited lifetime???

Plus the Zeiss is lighter and alot cheaper...
Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 15:01

Sako75, I own a 2.5-10x50 VM/V & I love it. I've always used the #8 recticle in my Zeiss scopes because I hunt in low light. You're correct its a VERY VERY light scope, good for stalking & sitting in the stand all day.

Their is a bit of confusion about the Zeiss Rapid Z recticle. I'm in the market for another Zeiss scope for a 300 wsm, but I'm waiting to see if which scopes they will provide with the Rapid Z. Like you I'm looking for a scope that I can range fairly quickly for long shots. 300-400 yards to be exact.  

tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 16:02
I personally love the #8, it allows for very fast target acquisition but I would have no problem with the #4 either.  I didn't realize that the posts come closer together.  Have you looked at one in the Zeiss or does it just look that way in the picture.  The reason I ask is that the picture much of the time is inaccurate.  I thought the only difference is that the #4 lacks the thick part of the top post but I could be wrong.  I assume you know since its sounds like you have experience with the #4.  This is a Zeiss #8 at 6x.the
tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 16:17

Obi Wan, there are several different rapid z reticles for different calibers and they will be offered in different scopes.  I was going to take a picture of the brochure I have but this should be easier.

http://www.zeiss.com/C1256BCF0020BE5F/ContentsWWWIntern/3DC0 003746AB21148525726200057786.

SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 16:30
I have a PDF from zeiss on subtensions

measurement is how many CM @ 100 METERS

CROSSHAIR OPENING OR WIDTH - 140
CROSSHAIR THICKNESS - 1.5
POST THICKNESS - 15

#4 IS SAME BUT OPENING IN 70 INSTEAD OF 140
I AM THINKING THE #8 MIGHT NOT BE SO BAD..... HMMMMM
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 16:37
HECK NOW I AM THINKING OF GETTING 2.5-10X50, ONLY WEIGHS ONE MORE OUNCE AND MY MOUNTING SYSTEM WILL WORK WITH EITHER???
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 22:27

Originally posted by SAKO75 SAKO75 wrote:

HECK NOW I AM THINKING OF GETTING 2.5-10X50, ONLY WEIGHS ONE MORE OUNCE AND MY MOUNTING SYSTEM WILL WORK WITH EITHER???

Cool, I would go with the 50.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 22:59
Originally posted by SVD666 SVD666 wrote:

Cool, I would go with the 50.

These are good words from someone who has large scopes on some great looking guns. Completely changed my perspective on how they look. Of course they are always a pleasure to look through.

Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2007 at 09:07
Originally posted by tbone1 tbone1 wrote:

Obi Wan, there are several different rapid z reticles for different calibers and they will be offered in different scopes.  I was going to take a picture of the brochure I have but this should be easier.

http://www.zeiss.com/C1256BCF0020BE5F/ContentsWWWIntern/3DC0 003746AB21148525726200057786.

Thanks T, it sucks they don't offer it in the standard 2.5 & 3-12. The Diarange 2.5-10x50 & 3x12 are a little too deep for my pockets.

tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2007 at 10:23

Sako 75,  This is a tough decision.  I really don't want to pursuade you either way.  I'll give you my thoughts and then let you make up your on mind.

I typically prefer 42mm objectives.  To me they fit my rifles better, mount lower and are not as bulky.  I used to hunt primarily with 50mm objectives but my preference has changed, I now prefer portability when choosing a rifle and scope.  I love the short mags strictly because they are built on more portable rifles.  My hunting style has also changed and I do alot of stalking now where I used to do more stand or beenfield hunting.  To me a 42mm seems to be easier to shoot from various postitions.  I guess really it all depends on the rifle that you are going to put it on.

As far as performance goes,  this is always a tough decision for me.  In my experience larger objectives have not yielded the improved performance that I have expected.  When I have done side by side testing of similar optics, I have been very surprised at how little difference there is whether it's been with binos or scopes.  All I can say is look for yourself if you can.  To me exit pupil gets exagerated.  In my opinon for low light hunting anything over 4mm exit pupil is sufficient.  It's when you go below 4mm that I believe you will notice a decrease in performance.

Since we are comparing equal optics and equal magnification then the only difference here is exit pupil.  You could look at it another way.  A 2.5-10x50 would yield a 5mm exit pupil at 10x.  A 2.5-10x42 would yield a 4.2 mm exit pupil at 10x.  The 42mm at 8.5x will be just as bright 50mm at 10x.

I like to talk in real terms of performance.  What will one scope allow you to do that another one won't.  Personally I don't think the slight difference in magnification would make any difference in shooting what so ever.  I also don't believe if the buck of a lifetime walked out right at dark, you would be able to shoot with a 50 but not with a 42.  The only difference is in the ability to see small details.  Let me explain.  I have a pair of Leica 10x42 and 8x32.  They both have about a 4mm exit pupil and technically equally as bright.  I glass constantly for hours and I can see noticably better with the 10x42 in low light.  It may not be because they are brighter (even though they appear to be), its because they are just as bright and have more magnification.  Or they may actually be brighter due to a higher twighlight factor.  For example, if I'm looking at a doe in fading light and trying to make sure that its not really a button buck that that hasn't broken the skin yet.  That extra 2x magnification helps me to see that in fading light.  A 10x32 would probably be fine most of the time however the exit pupil would drop a little too low (3.2mm) and wouldn't be sufficient in low light.  When I have tried a 10x50 the difference was very minimal and hardly noticable.  So to me the possible benefit of the 50mm scope would be that you could "possibly" be able to turn up the magn. 1.5x with equal brightness to determine if you can see small buttons or not.  The reason I say possibly is because the 42mm can also go to 10x as well so it would need to be nearly pitch black for there to be a potential difference and also because scopes are not suited for this purpose very well since you are looking through one eye.  I prefer using a good pair of binos since you can determine small details much better with them.

Most of the time a 50mm is substationally bulkier and slightly heavier than a 42mm.  However in this case the VM/V 50mm is such a compact scope that it would be hard to argue that it's too bulky.  The only real difference, other than being an 1oz heavier is the that it would need to be mounted higher.  I hate to say this, because I hate when people tell me this, but you really can't go wrong with either one.  To me, it would depend on what rifle I was putting it on and what type of hunting I would be doing most of the time.  The compact 50mm VM/V would be plenty portable, but the 42mm would also be plenty bright.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic