OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR 2.5-10x42 vs Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x50

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjhauser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR 2.5-10x42 vs Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x50
    Posted: February/09/2007 at 22:58
I am still looking at hunting scopes in the $500 range.  I have never owned any top quality glass.  The best stuff I can look at here is low to mid leupold.  I don't think they are worth the money.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2007 at 23:31
IOR is the better scope between the two, but Elite 4200 is no slouch either.

ILya
cjhauser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjhauser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2007 at 23:38
koshkin
how do you think the Nikon Monarch Gold Riflescope 2.5-10 x 50 fits in.  what are thier +'s and -'s.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2007 at 23:53
If you compare IOR 2.5-10x42 (hunting series, I presume), Elite 4200 2.5-10x50 and Monarch Gold 2.5-10x50, you'll basically be choosing between three excellent scopes.

All three are pretty robust and have good glass.  All three are available with the #4 reticle which I would certainly recommend over a regular duplex style reticle if there is any low light shooting involved. 

Optically, IOR is the best out of these three.  However, Monarch Gold and Elite 4200 can be used at slightly higher magnification in low light because of the larger objective lens.  50mm objective lens gives you 7mm exit pupil at 7x while 42mm ovjective lens gives you a 7mm exit pupil at 6x.  Personally, I am not a big fan of oversize objective lenses, so I find 42mm perfectly sufficient.  There is really little compelling need to use magnificaiton greater than 6x in the field.

Elite 4200 and Monarch Gold have comparable glass with perhaps a slight edge to Elite 4200.  But they are close.

Pricewise, Monarch Gold is the most expensive here. Elite 4200 is probably two or three hundred dollars cheaper with IOR being in the middle.

As an allround scope in this price range, I think IOR is the way to go.

If you are on a strict budget, you will be giving up very little by going with Elite 4200.

One caveat though is that Monarch Gold has the longest eye relief in this group (4" or so) and Elite 4200 the shortest (3.3"), with IOR, yet again, smack in the middle.

Hence, if this is going to be mounted on a rifle that really kicks, you may want to stay away from Elite 4200.  A lot, of course, depends on how well the gun fits you, stock shape, etc.

ILya
cjhauser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjhauser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 00:06

I will be putting it on 300 rum.

Monarch Gold  $500 on samplelist

ior $550 on swfa

bushnell 4200 30mm tube $480 on swfa

I prefer the #4 reticle too.  they all have it with 30mm tubes.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 00:26
That's a kicker all right.  I think that eliminated Elite 4200 from contention (then again I am a stock crawler, so eye relief is important for me).

I'd probably look for a scope with as much eye relief as I could get.  Out of these three: Monarch Gold has the most eye relief.  However, before you buy it from the sampel list, I would suggest you clarify the warranty situation with it.  I recall seeing some discussions earlier that Nikon only warranties their refurbished scopes for 90 days.   I could be wrong though, so  it may be a good idea to check with SWFA.

IOR has only slightly less eye relief than Monarch Gold, so it would still be a very viable option even on your shoulder cannon.

ILya

cjhauser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjhauser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 00:26
right now their is a fake leupold m4 4.5-14X50 on it but the optics are on par with my friends burris.  but with a good amount of flare.  Their is no way in hell I will trust it in the field.  I can not believe it still holds Zero.  it works ok for testing hand loads till I get a real scope though.
cjhauser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjhauser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 00:31
the muzzle brake really helps.  it cuts the kick down to a little under a 300 win mag.  with out it it will leave brusies on shoot #2.
cjhauser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjhauser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 00:33
I have never used a lighted reticle before.  how is the dot on the 4200.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 00:39
In that case, I would go with the IOR.  I would not concentrate on the lighted reticle a whole lot.  The whole idea with the thick #4 reticle is that there is no need for illumination.  In Elite 4200 case the illuminated center dot works well, but is completely unnecessary for any shooting legal in North America.

ILya
cjhauser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjhauser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 00:47

I will ask about the nikon waranty but i think I will go with the IOR.

Do you know of any other scopes in the $500 range I should look at. 
Thanks for the info koshkin.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 01:05
If you are particular about 2.5-10x or thereabouts 30mm scope, there are not a whole lot of options in this price range.  Burris Euro Diamond is in the ballpark, but I've heard conflicting reports about this line (interestingly everyone likes Burris Black Diamond scopes, but not Euro Diamond).

Personally, I'd look at some fixed magnification scopes with lots of flexible eye relief.

Leupold FX-3 6x42 would be a good choice, for example.  I am a big fan of IOR 6x42 scopes, myself.  Sightron makes a nice (and much less expensive) S2 6x42 scopes that is superb, especially for the money.  I have not seen the updated Big Sky version, but the regular S2 is very nice.

ILya
cjhauser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjhauser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 01:42
Not real particular about 2.5-10x mabee a 1.5-6.  My sister lives in germany so I will ask her to look at prices for me.  but I will have to give specific scopes to look for.  I still have some friends in Italy too.  Mabee they will be cheaper their.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 01:51
In the 1.5-6x range there are quite a few scopes to pick from.  There is a Monarch Gold 1.5-6x42 which is a very nice scope.  Burris Signature Select 1.5-6x40, Sightron S2 1.5-6x42.  These are in order of decreasing price.  Optically, you'll find very little difference between these three.

I do not know how helpful your sister in Germany will be.  American/Japanese scopes are typically more expensive there than here.  German/Austrian scopes are cheaper there, but still are much more expensive than $500.

Another problem is that most Zeiss/Swaro, etc. scopes tend to have eye relief on the short side.  Zeiss COnquest has pretty long eye relief, but it assembled in the US and I doubt it is cheaper in Germany.

ILya
cjhauser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjhauser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 02:06
I was thinking about the IOR
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 02:14
I am not sure what IOR prices in Europe are, so I can not tell you anything there.  Keep in mind though, that there can be some warranty issues involved.  I do not know if IOR does this, but many companies maintain that for a scope to be serviced (if something breaks) in US it had to be purchased from a US distributor of some sort.  Otherwise, it is a grey market product and it will not be supported.

ILya
cjhauser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjhauser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 02:34
good info  i didn't think about that.  lived in japan for 4 years than italy for 2 so I have a lot of stuff that may become an isue with but lets hope not.
cjhauser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjhauser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 00:05
koshkin thanks so much for your help.  I have decided to go with the IOR from SWFA.  I will not bug my sis just to try to save 10 clams.  SWFAs prices are the best on the net.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 08:08

koshkin has given some great advice - you have chosen a fine scope. let us know how it performs on the rum.

J

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic