OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

BELTED MAGNUM CASES

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BELTED MAGNUM CASES
    Posted: February/09/2007 at 18:15

This could be "old news", maybe not.. Shooters that find it a "PAIN" to reload any of the "belted magnums" might give this shooter a call..!  He explains it , and has spent considerable time and money to solve the belted "head-ache" ..

Larrywillis.com      

Again, this could be old news.. If not, glad I could help..                                                        

Edited by hot30
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2007 at 20:36
i guess i dont know what the issue is i havent ever experienced any troubles with my 300 winm or my 6.5 rem mag.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2007 at 20:48

Correctly "full length sizing" down to the belt.. He states when reloading "belted" brass (reloading) it should "head-space" off the shoulder, not the "belt" like factory ammo..  The web site is interesting, check it out.. He explains it..

Hot 30

Been in the swamp for a week (pigs).. One shooter had issues with his 7mm, talked about it arround the camp fire, LARRY WILLIS.com came up..

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2007 at 20:59

that thing is $90, i can buy a lot of brass for that kind of money, like i said never had any issues and i have reloaded 300winm cases 4-5 times and never had a problem, and even if i only got 2-3 times out of them fine throw them into the scrap bucket and sell them at the scrap metal yard.

good info intresting reading thanks

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2007 at 21:26

GO  PYRO..!!!!!!!!!!!!  Larry says he can load his "20" times..  90.00 isnt bad in a lifetime..!

How ya been,  30

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2007 at 21:29

i dont think i would want to load anything 20 times to much stretching for my comfort, i'm not saying this is a bad product or anything like that, but for me 5 times is enough for me, then i retire it.

been well and you?? working my ass off to keep peoples toilet flushing, i hate it, moving dirt is way better and lots warmer.

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 00:13
Creating a false shoulder is one way and loading bullets into the lands is another. I am only reloading for bolt guns and I have not run into any issues with magazine confines either. This is usually not recommended, however, I neck size only for all my reloading. If you want long brass life, use Lapua brass and don't load full throttle.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 06:58

I have always headspaced on the shoulder with my belted reloads. I use Wilson adjustable case length gages. It is adjusted be inserting a once fired factory case and, then, setting the gage length to this. This is now your max and after this resizings are by the typical go-no go method of case inspection. Regarding number of reloads, 5-10 is what I usually get.  I'm using my 25 year old manuals for data which is warmer than the present manuals have. Others may get more mileage using the watered down data in newer manuals.

Regarding the lands, closest I've loaded is .010"(original post.002), after reviewing records. I prefer using mics and not calipers when getting this close. Pressures do rise when on the lands and using max loads. Safety becomes an issue, then. It's the only way I could get TB's to shoot in a 7mag.

Edited by tahqua
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 12:34
Always used partial resizing on my 338's and 416's never had a problem. Allows headspace off shoulder

Edited by Dale Clifford
hot30 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 00:16

I guess Willis was trying to remidy the bulge just above the belt, caused by "pressure" if I read his stuff correctly..?

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 11:13
Using a continous improvement term, that is called a visual aid and is used for error proofing. Good one
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 12:04
How about this one, "Paradigm Pioneer". Makes me  at meetings..........why don't they just say "someone who makes changes".
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 12:14

RM said, "Why do I doubt the Mullahs in Iran have these kind of "feel good" programs"

Maybe because they aren't benchmarking Toyota

Edited by tahqua
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 12:51

Let them benchmark the Eagle now.  The F-22 rules and has no peers.

Where were we now, oh yea. Sometimes when resizing you get false marks above the belt and these can fool you into scrapping them. This is not a bulge, but if you are near to a full length depth on the die a line will form. Anyone else share this opinion. Also when going out of state and carrying less ammo I would always carry brass that was resized twice at most.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 17:30
Are you talking about the line caused by the scraping marks of the die or the brighter one signaling a case head seperation?
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 17:52

The scraping marks. Sometimes between the lube and the die marks it looks like head separation is imminent. This ring appears after the first resizing. I always get another 5-10 resizes before I discard the brass. I continue to check the inside of the case with a paper clip for signs of separation. It is an old habit. Any more insight would be helpful here.

Thanks

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 23:44

Benelli makes great guns. I have an SBE and stopped using my other turkey and waterfowl guns since I got it.

I have a question about the SD. If we are talking about sectional density, how does adding a crimp increase this? You really have me on that one, RM.

None of the bullets I have loaded for magnums came with cannelures and I haven't had problems with set back from recoil. For that reason have never crimped them.

Also, since your .300 is a semi, it is nice to know that you can get by with just a neck sizing die.  My first .06 was a BAR and I bought the small base dies. I have always thought you a needed them for semi autos. This may be so for service rifles. I'm not sure. RCBS still makes them for the 7RM and .300WM. I think about the belt and I have to wonder about that reasoning.

Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2007 at 06:25

+1 on Rootman Slim's recommendation of Lee Collet dies.

I use the Lee collet dies for my .338 Win. Mag., and have had no trouble at all with reloads.  I do, however, use the cases in the rifle from which they were originally fired.  This (I believe) results in headspacing on the shoulder.

As for the small base dies, I have used regular dies for both a Remington 742 .30-06 and Remington 7600 (pump) .30-06 without any problems and 1 1/2" and 1" accuracy respectively.  I guess some rifles may be touchy and need small base dies, but neither of my Remingtons did.   No jamming problems.  However, I do reload cases only for the rifle from which they were originally fired.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2007 at 07:10

everything i have ever read about factory crimping has told me that unless your loading a straight cased ie 30-30 45-70 etc that you shouldnt ever need a factory crimper, everything i have read has also stated that no accuracy gains were made by crimping either.

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2007 at 09:12

RM, since you use the TSX, do you also use the Lee crimp die on these bullets? Do you have to crimp on the annular rings? It would appear as though you would. It sounds like you are happy with the accuracy and by crimping on the rings you don't get the luxury of infinite overall length. That is interesting and something to talk about if we should move this thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic