OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Adjusting leupold eyepiece

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adjusting leupold eyepiece
    Posted: February/09/2007 at 09:01

The question is How to adjust leo eyepiece? In the instructions it says"grasp the eyepiece and back it away from the lock ring"This is my first scope with this type of eyepiece and I'm not comfortable pulling the scope apart. The lockring cannot be turned by itself.

By the way it is leupold VX- I 1-4x24. I know it is maybe a funny quesion to you ,but I don't want to end up with a 3 piece scope because I minsuderstood the instructions.

Thanks

Bender View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 07:17

Thanks rootman!

I'm satisfied with the scope, it is mounted on .30-06 rem 7400,and I've been using it this hunting season for wild boar hunting in the brush with great results ,it is lightweight and small,and has heavy duplex reticle for fast aiming.However it shifted POI ten inches down and right-it took heavy abuse during hunting(falling with the rifle,bumping the scope...), but when I readjusted it it the groups were consistent,so I don't think that the scope is defective. The mounts are Leo QR- maybe it is them??

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 07:42
You won't find a bigger proponent of that scope here more than RM. They are a very strong scope. I don't think it was the mounts, whether the Weaver or stud into base QD. If the groups were consistent after readjusting it must have been something else.
tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 13:27

Although it's not a big deal, you want have to set it again once you get it right, and I agree that it is a nice scope.  However this is precisely why I don't like that style eyepiece.  It's just a pain to deal with.  I understand having it on a VX-I, maybe even a VX-II, but once you get to $500+, I think Leupold ought to provide a fast focus style eyepiece.

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 13:31
 on fast focus
tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 23:48
Rootmanslim, I agree with you about simple is better.  I don't like gadgets on a hunting scope, thats one reason I don't like illum. reticles.  But I disagree about the eyepiece.  I have several scopes with locking eyepiece and several with the fast focus and I much prefer the fast focus.  It never has gotten moved with common use and if it ever did, one quick half turn and I'm perfectly focused, just like center focus binoculars.  I hate the locking eyepiece.  As I said it's a pain to set.  I have sat there turning for 10 minutes and still can't tell if it's perfectly focused or not.  I'll bet most people that buy these scopes don't even bother to set them.  You are right though.  I don't have to have it.  I could get by and hunt just fine without it.  But as I said, to me it's about value.  I much prefer it, and if I pay that much for a scope then I expect it.  It's like paying $50,000 for a car and getting vinyl seats, at least give me cloth.  Leupold puts it on their new VX-7 for $1500.  But most other companies provide it at $400+.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 11:09
I just started wearing reading glasses a few years ago. I now have switched to progressive lensed glasses. Because of this I am constantly readjusting my scopes to find the right "spot" now. The only fast focus I have is more convenient. I am sure when I get this squared away it won't be as important. I can't blame my focusing on that damn computer at work anymore.....it's age.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 11:58

Good point, I have been trying my older bi-focal safety glasses for that same reason. The script is slightly different, though.

http://opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5439&KW=tahqua

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic