OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Question on the Hensoldt 3-12 SSG-P

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question on the Hensoldt 3-12 SSG-P
    Posted: February/08/2007 at 22:50
I was looking at the Hensoldt 3-12x56 scopes and there are two models

1) 3-12x56 SSG-P http://www.i-e-a.de/productssimple9.html
2) 3-12x56 (new model) http://www.i-e-a.de/productssimple51.html

Now the SSG-P is a bit more expensive and by looking at the specs I can't figure out why. So my question is what makes it cost more then the newer model that according to the specs seems to be the better one? Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help

BK
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2007 at 23:19

I can't understand it either.

The SSG-P version is a lot less interesting.

The only interesting feature with the SSG-P is the indicator in the scope that tells you where the elevation is set at.

But the mounting is extremely high so finding a suitable rifle will not be to easy.

Regards Technika

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 22:54

I have not seen one of these scopes yet, but I have heard nothing but praise about them.

I spoke to a gentlemen ounce that owns S&B's,USO's and a couple of models of this new

Hensolt series and he claims the SSG-P is the clearest out of all of them, truly amazing

glass. It is a very tempting scope to purchase but currently I can get a PMII for 1000

dollars less.

www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 23:25

I do own a 3-12 SSG with laserprotetion filters.

The clarity in that scope is not that great due to the filters, those are often stealing some light.

I have unfortunatley the old model with 1,5cm clicks that I find very stuipd as it's harder to calculate around.

If I should spend money on a 3-12 sniperscope I would probpably go for the Hensoldt 3-12 FF instead or SuB.

And of course without laserprotection filters. I can't really see any reason why the SSG should be bettter optically than the other Hensoldt 3-12.

Regards Technika

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2007 at 00:24

I dont know,that is what the local here said,I have never seen one in the area, I dont realy trust this guy to meet up with him either.

ChrisGarrett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2007 at 00:32

Hello,

I'd like to know what the differences in glass are between the Hensoldts and the Zeiss Diavaris.  I know the Hensoldts are more tactical in appearance, but I'm betting that they share the same glass.  I've always thought that the Hensoldts were just the LEO/Military scopes under the Zeiss banner?

Chris

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2007 at 13:05

I did a little research this morning on the Hensoldt scopes and this is what I found out so far.

Hakan is right the SSG has a anti-laser coating that produces a image on the warmer colors

of the spectrum,more yelowish that blurs the image slightly compared to the standard scopes.

Hensolt scopes are magnifactured in the same building but not the same line as Zeiss VM

Civilian scopes, this line is a few floors up, Hensoldt scopes have custom features and are

magnafactured to much stricter tolerances than the civilian models. There is no such thing as

Zeiss Military, Hensoldt also named optronics are a subdivision of Zeiss and are thier own company.

As I mentioned before I have not seen one yet,but now I am very interested in thier 3-12 FFP.

http://www.zeiss.de/optronics

http://www.zeiss.de/C1257088004A21CA/Contents-Frame/A254D374 FD464A4CC12570BC002C5992

Edited by SVD666
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2007 at 17:42

Hello,

Sorry, not buying it. 

I've looked through your links and the similarities are obvious, from the reflex sight to the tubes and turret housing shape...even the mag. rings are the same and the shapes of the occular housings.

I'm not saying that they are exactly identical, but in the same way that a Lincoln Navigator is basically the same as a Ford Expedition--the nuts and bolts.  Even the Hensoldt 2nd FP are near dups for the Diavari line and I doubt that they're fabricating different metal work and glass for each.   I do agree, that they're not rebadged copies however and there are enough differences (coatings, turrets, focal planes, etc.)  to warrant one's interest in one, but not the other.

Take care, Chris

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2007 at 18:33
After my research today the model of intrest to me at this time is the SSG-P FFP 3-12x56. If I find anything else I will post it on this thread.

Edited by SVD666
polarcow View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polarcow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 13:42

I have one of the new hensoldt 3-12 scopes (sfp) and I also have the zeiss 3-12 model. They are NOT the same. The hensoldt is a military product. It is much larger (34mm tube versus 30 in civilian version) with much more adjustment than the civilian model. The ssg-p is an older model and, I think, has less field of view and shorter eye relief. The glass is excellent in both with a slight edge to the hensoldt because it is newer by one year.

-polarcow

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 15:12

Hello,

I'm not saying that all Hensoldts are identical to their Zeiss counterparts.  I'm saying that if you look at the spec sheets of the two, the Zeiss 6-24x56 and the Hensoldt 6-24x56 are practically identical, but for some slight cosmetic differences.

Anyhow, it's being reported that as of 10/2006, the Hensoldt badge will be retired and from then on, only the Zeiss name will be found on their scope lines, whether hunting or tactical.

Take care, Chris

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2007 at 15:33

I am very exited right now, just came up from Germany today and got a nice 3-12FFP SSG-P.

I was going to get a short dot for the AK74 but decided to get this instead and I am very happy so

far. I am heading over to Vegas this weekend and will do a little shooting and comparing, my friend

has the baby hubbel over there and some PMII's. I will post back next week.

Fist of Freedom View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fist of Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2007 at 23:26

Hi, all

I happen to own an SSG-P, here are a few points on this optic:

Originally posted by Trinidad Trinidad wrote:

I have not seen one of these scopes yet, but I have heard nothing but praise about them.

I spoke to a gentlemen ounce that owns S&B's,USO's and a couple of models of this new

Hensolt series and he claims the SSG-P is the clearest out of all of them, truly amazing

glass. It is a very tempting scope to purchase but currently I can get a PMII for 1000

dollars less.

(1) Trinidad, the word you got from your aquaintance on the SSG-P is good. I can't speak for its predecessor, the SSG, but, as far as optical ability is concerned ( ie; resolution, color fidelity, contrast, low-light performance ), I have yet to see the optical equal of the SSG-P in it's power range, and mine runs with a pretty tough crowd...

(2) I do not consider the SSG-P to be dated in any way, but rather, more advanced, with regards to its unique features. When compared to other scopes, the SSG-P simply makes them look like so many un-original variations of the same old themes. The way it attaches to a rifle, IMHO, leaves other scopes in the dust: Look, Ma! -no rings!!...

(3) I have not found the SSG-P to be excessively high when mounted on my AR-10 T. For me, personally, the scope's mounted height makes for more comfortable shooting from all positions, especially prone, as I have a big square head with a broad jaw that just doesn't mix well with some of the lower mounting configurations for ARs.

(4) The SSG-P, despite its elevation limitations, works well on AR-style rifles; I make consistent hits to 800yds with it mounted on my AR-10T. I would say that this optic, while certainly a specialty tool, is at its best when mounted on an in-line configured rifle, whose receiver is topped with an integral, forward-canted M1913 Picatinny rail, eg; EDM Arms, Barrett, etc.

Straight Shooting, FOF

Edited by Fist of Freedom
Edsel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2013 at 07:42
Resurrecting an old thread.

I know this scope's circa 2005, but nevertheless has excellent glass.

Two questions:

1. Given Zeiss' newer offerings, is this scope still worth getting for what it can do?

2. What's the battery life like with this scope? It takes TWO AA batteries.
Edsel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2013 at 15:11
Bump!
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2013 at 15:33
Originally posted by Edsel Edsel wrote:

Resurrecting an old thread.

I know this scope's circa 2005, but nevertheless has excellent glass.

Two questions:

1. Given Zeiss' newer offerings, is this scope still worth getting for what it can do?

2. What's the battery life like with this scope? It takes TWO AA batteries.

Looks like it's still a current model and I would think that 2x1.5v AAs running in parallel would yield a pretty long LED runtime.

At about $3300, it's a spendy 3-12 scope that weighs in at 2.5#, but it has some neat tricks up its sleeve.

For that kind of money, you can get a SB PMII 5-25x56 scope and have basically twice the mag range, less weight and pretty much equal quality across the board.

Chris
Edsel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2013 at 18:11
All that extra weight - where's it from?

Glass, or the housing (disregard the mass of the two AA batteries)?

Is it grossly overbuilt?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2013 at 19:44
Overbuilt... HOW do you overbuild a tactical rifle scope??? By its very nature, it is supposed to withstand virtually any environment/condition and it is supposed to perform better than virtually anything else... how do you "overbuild" those requirements?  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Edsel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2013 at 20:04
Hey, Chris.

Thanks for putting the price into perspective.
Edsel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2013 at 20:12
Originally posted by ChrisGarrett ChrisGarrett wrote:

Looks like it's still a current model and I would think that 2x1.5v AAs running in parallel would yield a pretty long LED runtime.

At about $3300, it's a spendy 3-12 scope that weighs in at 2.5#, but it has some neat tricks up its sleeve.

For that kind of money, you can get a SB PMII 5-25x56 scope and have basically twice the mag range, less weight and pretty much equal quality across the board.

Chris

I think I'll get both and sell the one I won't be using at a small loss.

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic