OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

help picking a scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjhauser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help picking a scope
    Posted: February/08/2007 at 21:36

I am setting up a hunting rifle and need help picking a scope.  The rifle is a remington 700 cdl in 300 rum.  It is bedded and I put a muzzle brake on.  I plan to use it on elk and brown bear.  I looking at 2 scopes in peticular.

The Nikon Monarch Gold 2.5-10x50 #6617 and the Bushnell 2.5-10x50 Elite 4200 #422152M .  any help you can give will be welcome since I will have to buy online and can not look at them before hand. 

cjhauser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjhauser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2007 at 22:45
I should clearify I hunt elk with a guy who well we will just say he dose not get around really well so most of the shoots we get are rather on the long side. say 300 to 400.  then I get the pleasure of the retrevel. He He He.
cjhauser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjhauser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2007 at 00:46
I have NO dout you are corect and I do not plan to ever realy use the 10X side.  mabee at the range.  the 2.5X with the 50mm is good for wide angle.  and I do perfer the #4 reticle and the rings on the rifle are for a 30mm tube.  is their any real differance in the low light from 1in to 30mm.  If not I will have a gunsmith change the rings and save some on a scope.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2007 at 07:41
Still think that 2.5X in thick alders up close is too much.  On elk you just might have to pass on a shot, but you could end up as Mr. Brown's lunch
God save the Empire!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2007 at 08:35

Some of the members around here have some of the bigger scopes on their boomers and like them. The 3.3 inch eye relief on the 4200 is a different story. I think that is a bit too short for a gun that kicks like that RUM. The eye relief on the Nikon is 4.1", much better.

I like scopes with smaller objectives and smaller overall dimensions on big guns. The bigger the boom, the smaller the glass, IMO.

Edited by tahqua
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic