OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Shotgun / BlackPowder Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help!!!!
    Posted: August/21/2004 at 21:50

I just got a new CVA  black powder muzzle loader

I want to put a scope on it MAN how many choice's are there

what do I need I am figuring about 180 yards out i need to go???

thanks for your help

Bill

Bill
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2004 at 09:09

depends on how much you want to spend. for just 180yds, a fixed 4x, a 2-7, or 3-9 would be perfect. i would look at the leupold rifleman, bushnell 4200, leupold fixed, VXI, and VXII. tell us how much you want to spend, then go from there.

cory

Bill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2004 at 20:24

I was told that 100.00 to 130.00 wound be fine

I am a indiana hunter ( no rifles where i live slug guns or black powder) I just don't want to put a boat load of money in a scope and have over kill remember my cva will only reach so far so i don't want a scope to out reach my gun

Thanks Bill

Bill
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2004 at 20:29

thats an aweful low budget. look at the leupold rifleman 2-7x33 for 179.95. or the bushnell elite 3200 2-7x32 for 174.95. both are a little over what you want to spend, but are both worth paying for.

cory

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2004 at 11:13

Here's a link to Leupold's Shotgun/Muzzle Loader scopes.

Here's a link to some lower priced Simmons Shotgun/Muzzle Loader scopes.

martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2005 at 10:05

You can get a decent scope for your budget, This is the most highly contested price range for optics, and the consumer benefits from alot of R&D .

Try the 3200 2-7 Elite, Weaver's new 2-7 Classic, sorry- I think Leupolds are overpriced ( but good scopes), Burris FF2 . Also, I have found Pentax 2-5 Whitetails Unlimited ( made by Burris for Pentax -with upgraded coatings) scopes  to be durable and optically excellent..

Edited by martin3175
Imagunsmith View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imagunsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2005 at 15:27
I think you will find you will want to put a scope on you MZ that is rated for muzzleloader/shotgun, there is a difference in recoil/snap reaction between muzzleloaders and rifles. Might not make sense, but it's a fact..................
Gotta problem rifle? I can probably help.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2005 at 23:33

For inside 200yrd shooting you really do not need a whole lot of magnification.  Staying in $100-$130 range is a bit challenging, but you can look at Bushnell Trophy 1.5-4x32.  It is pretty decent and has about 4" of eye relief.

If you are willing to pay a little more Weaver V3 1-3x20 is pretty nice for ~$150 and Burris 4x20 compact is very clear and durable for ~$175.

Ilya

STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2005 at 13:04
The Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 with Ballistic Plex reticle is a very good choice for a muzzleloader.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2005 at 15:10

LEU58800 Leupold 2-7x33 VX-I Shotgun / Muzzleloader Scope Leupold 2-7x33 VX-I Shotgun / Muzzleloader Scope
  • Matte
  • Heavy Duplex
  • 1"
  • Standard Multi-Coat Lens System

SWFA: $189.95

There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to scopes. If you understand the trajectory of the load you are using you know where the bullet should impact at a given distance.

Example:  Barnes 285gr sabbot for .50 cal muzzleloader sighted at 100yds using 100grains FFG or Pyrodex at 150 yds is -4.63 in lower and at 200yds it is -13.46 in  Same bullet but with 150 grains FFG or Pyrodex sighted at 100 yds will at 150 yds be -3.38 in lower and at 200 yds be -10.28.

I can understand that you may not want to put a lot of money into a really great scope and beat it up hunting it but it all depends on how serious you are about your hunting and what  you can afford. I would put Leupold Tactical scopes on every rifle if I could afford to do that. My eyes aren't bad but they are not as good as they were 40 yrs ago so good glass helps. It can be really nice to be able to look at a deer at 200yds and decide if that is the one you want of if you want to let him live longer to grow larger antlers.  The variable power affords you the option to either stalk game at low power or still hunt at longer distance with higher power.

Muskets have a bad habit of damaging the finish on the lower side of a scope so you may want to protect it somehow. Knight has a good system for this.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Henry455 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2005 at 15:41
You might want to take a look at the Mueller "Mulit-Shot" 2-7, I recently bought one and it's a great bargin for approx. $130.00. I also have an older Leupold Vari-X II 2-7 and my friends and I both agree the Mueller is brighter and sharper. Not sure if it will hold up as long but I guess time will tell.

http://www.muelleroptics.com/multi-shot.htm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic