OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Interesting scope test results

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwattedOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting scope test results
    Posted: February/07/2007 at 09:26

Can't vouch for the accuracy since this came second hand . Came across a reported study by Aerotech labs and reported in a Swedish magazine, Vapentidningen , Issue # 6/2004. The following scopes were rated for color/contrast, light transmission, twilight performance, and overall. Supposedly by scientific means, not a subjective study.Anyway it seemed kind of detailed to be total BS. What do you think?

Results in the exact order listed above. Max score of 10. 

Schmidt Bender Zenith 2x10x56          ;  8    9      9   65

Swaro Habicht 2..5x10x56        &n bsp;         &n bsp;9    9     10   78

Leupold VXIII 3.5x10x50      &nbs p;         &nbs p;      7    8      6   60

Kahles cb  3x12x56          ;           ;          8    9      8   62  

Zeiss Diavari v 3x12x56          ;           ;   10    9     10   73         &nbs p;        

SwattedOut View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwattedOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 09:28
Sorry, screwed the typing somehow. Anyway numbers are correct
guitarman87 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 09:39
Hey Swatted, I think that looks about right.  I personally don't think that Leupolds get the props that they deserve in this forum.  While I think that there are many other great scopes, I think Leupolds are also awesome (as are others).  I find them to be very clear, and they're some of the toughest scopes you can get.  Thanks the for info, man.  I also like Monarchs and 4200s (although they're quite large).
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 09:40

that seems about right. good find.

suprised that the diavari didn't steal the overall, though.

J

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwattedOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 09:45
Actuall it did. Let me retype this.....
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 09:52

Thanks for posting!

Being that the test date was 2004, I wonder if any new tests will be conducted.  Manufacturers frequently update/improve their coatings when new models are introduced.  It would be interesting to see updated results that include, say, the Z6, Zeiss Classic, VX-7 and VX-L, etc.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwattedOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 09:55

S/Bender 2x10x56          ;           ;      8   9   9   65

Swaro Habicht  2.5x10x56        &nb sp;     9   9  10  68

Zeiss Diavari v 3x12x56          ;        10   9  10  73

Leupold VX III                                     7   8    6  60

Kahles cb 3x12x56          ;                 8   9    8  72

In order... Color/contrast

Light transmission

Twilight performance

Overall

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 10:00

i wish i had 1800 bucks lying around to get a diavari

so sweet.

J

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 11:23
Seen these results before, several years ago-- and will ask the same questions now as then. Can anyone tell be the difference between 60 and 65 especially when comparing a 56mm and 50 mm? or the difference the person can tell on any scale from 8-9? (unless it's a log scale of course)
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 12:15

Interesting info, Swatted Out.  Do you have a link to the study report by chance?  I would be interested to see how they arrived at their scores and what other criteria was used in the rankings.  Also, the overall scores in your second post are radically different from the first.  Interesting that the S&B was ranked behind the Zeiss, Swaro, and Kahles overall in this study, at least according to your second post.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwattedOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 12:49
Alright, I promise I'm not an idiot. Trying to do ten things at once here at work. I should have waited and posted correctly. I was trying to include only the top scopes since I do not know how to post links .The site was a forum that I located on a Zeiss Diavari search. Standby gents, I will find this and maybe you will let me have my IQ points back.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 13:44
Thanks, S.O.  Appreciate your post!  I wish I could find the entire test comments, as I would be curious as to how they reached their conclusions.  Very interesting nonetheless.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 14:17

Aerotech telub that made the actual test for the magazine is a SAAB company in the defence business.

They don't import or sell this kind of stuff, but they are repairing all kinds of optics for the defence forces including optotronics.

There is really no reason whatsoever to belive that the test was made up, the actual results is as I see it very close to my own experience.

Regards Technika

Gunnar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunnar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2007 at 03:27
Anthony View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2007 at 21:46

yeah, I always knew zeiss was the best of the best!

Seriously, I wouldn't consider it totally reliable, even though it says what I believe, magazines are a form of propaganda, and therefore cannot be totally trusted.

I'm the only one that knows anything around here. Don't ask me any questions though because i don't know anything
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2007 at 18:49

Originally posted by Gunnar Gunnar wrote:

Rifledude

You can find the report here:

www.zeiss.se/4125680F002BA25A/EmbedTitelIntern/Vapentidninge n/$File/Vapentidningen.pdf

Thanks, Gunnar.

Unfortunately, I don't speak Swedish, so I don't have a clue what it says, but there's probably no other version of the full report.

Ted

Gunnar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunnar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2007 at 03:59
You can use this website.http://www.systranbox.com/systran/box It translates from swedish to english. Just cut and paste from the PDF-file. If there is something you don't understand, just let me know.

Gunnar

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2007 at 10:49
Will try that, Gunnar.  Thanks again for your help!
Ted

3trickplays07 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3trickplays07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2007 at 22:52

Here's an interesting scope comparison, doesn't look at the real high dollar scopes though.  It does have the Vari X III.

http://www.savageshooters.com/Pages/VarmintScopeComparison_P age.html

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic