OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.308 Marlin Express

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Will you buy a new XLR lever action?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [75.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [8.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .308 Marlin Express
    Posted: February/07/2007 at 07:08
Just trying to get some thoughts on the relatively new .308 Marlin.  From my perspecitive, I have now plans to run out and buy a new XLR series Marlin lever action rifle, as, if I am going to shoot at the distances that are capable of this rifle, I will use a .308 or another caliber.  Just seeing what your thoughts are.

Edited by Dolphin
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 13:36

Is it a marketing scheme - absolutely.  But this in itself doesn't mean it's bad.  There are an awful lot of guys out there who love lever action rifles & would welcome a 200 yd gun.  Whether or not these rifles are capable of decent accuracy at this range remains to be seen. As for needed this much power, previous discussions on the forum say if you can handle it, use it.

For myself, won't be buying one so not sure about the long term viability, will have to wait & see.  Won't do anything our current crop of rifles/calibres can do but that's not the issue.

God save the Empire!
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 13:56
Thanks for you input.  So far, it does not appear to be a hot topic.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 14:33
I don't mean to be a butt-head.... I can't quite seem to follow your poll.  Are you looking for Yes(es) to your questions to get a vote?
take em!
rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 15:16
It's a big YAWN along with 95% of the "new" cartridges that do nothing old ones will not do. Buy a 99 in 300 Savage or 308 win if you want 308 performance in a lever gun. AND the Savage will appreciate, has no hammer, is more accurate and has been able to use spitzer bullets since 1895!
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 15:30

Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

I don't mean to be a butt-head.... I can't quite seem to follow your poll.  Are you looking for Yes(es) to your questions to get a vote?

Yes. please punch a button, if you agree with that starement.  Sorry for the confusion.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 17:16
To me, a lever action rifle the size of the XLR is not particularly interesting.  For longer range shooting, bolt guns are better suited, IMO.  Lever action rifles are at their best when they are small and handy and loaded with something of fairly substantial bore size.  For example, Marlin's Guide Gun chambered for 45-70 is just about perfect for what I think is the best application for a lever action.

Then again, your mileage may vary.

ILya
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 17:29

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

To me, a lever action rifle the size of the XLR is not particularly interesting.  For longer range shooting, bolt guns are better suited, IMO.  Lever action rifles are at their best when they are small and handy and loaded with something of fairly substantial bore size.  For example, Marlin's Guide Gun chambered for 45-70 is just about perfect for what I think is the best application for a lever action.

Then again, your mileage may vary.

ILya

My sentiments exactly.

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2007 at 11:08

Interestingly, I just read an article on the .308 Marlin last night. How fortuitous that your poll should come with such good timing as otherwise, I would have already forgotten about the caliber.  

To say I was "underwhelmed" would be a drastic understatement.   

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2007 at 11:19
Which magazine did you read about it in?  But, those were my sentiments exactly as previously stated.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2007 at 11:27

Originally posted by dolphin dolphin wrote:

Which magazine did you read about it in?  But, those were my sentiments exactly as previously stated.

Off hand, I don't remember.  I'll check on it when I go home at lunch and get back to you.

Edited by lucznik
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2007 at 20:23

Why not get a BLR and not worry about odd ball rounds

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2007 at 21:34

I think that lever guns are handy, especially the Marlin and Winchesters. They lose this when outfitted with scopes which a caliber like this could really use for longer shots. That is, if the gun has the accuracy. I like the old calibers in these guns; .35 Rem, 30.30 and 45.70. But, if it sells more guns I'm for it.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2007 at 21:40
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2007 at 21:45
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

Originally posted by dolphin dolphin wrote:

Off hand, I don't remember.  I'll check on it when I go home at lunch and get back to you.

The article is the January edition of Guns & Ammo magazine.  It is by Rick Hacker and begins on page 48.

Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2007 at 02:35
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

+1 more.  The BLR comes in .308, is quite accurate, and has a detachable magazine for quick loading and unloading.   A great rifle in a standard caliber, with the accuracy to hit at reasonably long range. 

rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2007 at 09:06
BLR, 99, 88, SAKO.... lots of good lever guns if you want a lever and a modern cartridge.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic