OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Low light fixed power scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stilhuntin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low light fixed power scope
    Posted: February/05/2007 at 20:55

Looking for a great low light fixed power scope to go on either a  25.06 or a 7mm08. I will be deer hunting bean fields and large cutovers at dawn and dusk in the Southeast.

Currently, I have a Kahles CL Multizero 3x10x50 on a Ruger #1 in 30.06. The scope is simply awesome

I have no experience on fixed power scopes, but most of the posts seem to point to something like a 6 or 8x56. I don't post often, but I have learned a great deal from the forum.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2007 at 23:01
6x42, 8 or 10x56 in any +$1000 scope will get you what you desire. You also might consider the Super Sniper in 10x as for $400 it's a lot of scope.
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2007 at 23:31

I would recomend a 8x56 and would also recomend you to carefully choose the reticle.

Mostly cheaper illuminated reticles glows to much and that makes them unsutible for low light hunting.

A common problem is that you can see the animal clearly in the scope until you switches the light on and then you can't see anything any more.

Mostly High end scopes like Kahles, Zeiss, Swarovski have a very good illumination but some high end scopes like for example US optics can have an unsutible illumination.

Few manufactureres makes fully illumniated reticles that are really good when the light is low, so for a pure huntingscope if you go for illumination, go for the smallest illumnated dot you can get.

You don't have to have a illuminated scope, a big black reticle works often as well, and in such case is German no1 the best and far behind is the number 4 reticle.

Another thing that makes big differances is a rubber eyeshield, many shots that can be made with the shield can't be made without it, and that is espesially true if the moon is strong or there is lights from houses nearby disturbing the eye.

Regards Technika

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 08:05

three scopes come to mind: all are EXCELLENT values:   i own 2 of them.

6505 Nikon 4x40 Monarch UCC Riflescope                           Nikon 4x40 Monarch UCC Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Nikoplex
  • 1"
  • Free SWFA Lens Pen w/ Purchase
SWFA: $179.95
More Info... Buy Now

6508 Nikon 6x42 Monarch UCC Riflescope                           Nikon 6x42 Monarch UCC Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Nikoplex
  • 1"
  • Free SWFA Lens Pen w/ Purchase
SWFA: $188.95

More Info... Buy Now

322014 New Meopta 7x56 Meostar R1 Rifle Scope                      New Meopta 7x56 Meostar R1 Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • 1"
SWFA: $465.95
More Info... Buy Now

i own the meostar (amazing) and the 4x40 (also amazing) - i have kahles, zeiss, and a few other high dollar scopes and i would put these up there with the best.

the 7 power isn't the best choice if deer (or whatever) walk out on top of you.  i think the 6 power monarch would be an excellent choice.

i can highly reccomend any of the above scopes.   if you go meostar, get the #4 reticle - awesome reticle for lowlight.

good luck and let us know what you decide.

J

Edited by jonbravado
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 08:16

oh yeah, and WELCOME TO THE OT.

i also hunt in the SE and we hunt the same kind of terrain.

and trust me: don't let the low price of the monarchs fool you. they are a top-notch item.

i can also highly reccomend a 7mm08 for a whitetail gun. perfect power, flat shooter, very little recoil. lots of knockdown.

tikka T3 - doesn't get much better for the money. 

J

Edited by jonbravado
SwattedOut View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwattedOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 08:53
Price?
stilhuntin View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stilhuntin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 21:05

I would like to keep the price under $1,000.00

How do the optics in the Meopta Meostar R1 compare to the Kahles CL?

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 08:09

that are comparable.  i think that the price difference doesn't warrant buying the CL. and the CL has side focus if you did/didn't want that.

the meostar is top notch glass and coatings.  if ANYTHING, i would wait on the new kahles kx models (same glass and coatings as the C/CL)

for a more palletable price.

i can't say enough good stuff about the meostar line.  But i am a huge fan of kahles too. bottom line. either is a good buy.

depends on how much you want to spend.

good luck.

J

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwattedOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 08:15

I am curious as to why you want a fixed power. I have one because I was able to save some money on the fixed and most of my shots are 200 yards in. You have a pretty good budget though, and I would think beanfield hunting would lend itself to pretty long shots at times. Anyway, I have a Meopta 7x56, which is an excellent low light scope and probable a "best buy" since it will do anything you want.( I live in the Southeast also). My son has a Swarovski 4x12x50 American model. He has made a 200 yard shot at last, and I mean last, legal hunting light. Anyway, if it's a fixed power you want, I would wait, go a little over budget and get a Schmidt and Bender 8x56. I think SVD 666 (?) has posted a picture of this scope. Makes me drool.......You will never lay awake at night and question your decision if you bought that one.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 08:19

or for under 700 bucks, you could get the 3-12x56 from meopta.

that particular meostar makes me tug at my credit cards.

either way, with your budget, you can get a lot of scope.

J

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwattedOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 08:31
Ditto
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 09:37

here's one of my setups:

a tikka T3 chambered in a 7mm08 w/ the 7x56 fixed meostar scope - #4 reticle.

i accidentally left the magazine out for the pictures, sorry.

she loves the lowlight and is a tackdriver.

i am very happy w/ this setup for where i hunt in the SE - very bright, very accurate.

J

Edited by jonbravado
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic