OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The New Monarch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 18:07

What do you guys think of the Monarch X??

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
guitarman87 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 18:09
Do you think you could give me a very brief definition of lash?  I can't seem to find it anywhere...
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 18:20
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

What do you guys think of the Monarch X??

I prefer FFP scopes and they are going to have the same reticle selection and UCC coat as the previous line so for the price I say Xotic or IOR in this category of riflescope. The Monarch X will be available in June acording to the predited release I read..

Monarch X 2-10x44, SF, Illuminated Mil Dot, Matte

Edited by SVD666
guitarman87 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 18:25

So, the new Monarch and the Monarch X aren't even available yet?  It appears that they're ready for purchase...

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 18:51

Originally posted by guitarman87 guitarman87 wrote:

Do you think you could give me a very brief definition of lash?  I can't seem to find it anywhere...

Gman:

Check this article for the full story.

(The editors notes mid way down explains lash.)

http://www.6mmbr.com/parallax.html

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 12:20

Most lash complaints from Leo owners (or leo experts that never use them) is because they didn't read the instruction book, If one starts at infinity and turns back there is none (as suggtested by the manfuct). Have 3, 6.5x20, 4.5x14, MK4, 4.5x14 no problems. Front AO differs on how far the apart the marks for range. most leos are very close, thus the thread pitch is steep and the image "snaps" into clarity faster than one that isn't. The amount of turning or the degrees of rotatiion vary between manufac. Leos usually run about 90 to 110 degrees. of rotation from infinity to closest focus.  Have 3 of those ,3.5x10, 6.5x20, 3x9CF. Some manu. and in general the higher the range of the scope the more degrees from ininity to close focus. My nf 8x32 goes about 280 degrees allowing for very refined target definition and of course it is a BR scope. (Not fun when hunting).

Have used a nikon 6.5x20 monarch for years great scope, also  3x12. The degrees of rotation on the 6.5 is more than the 6.5 leos and will focus down to 40 yds making it almost close focusing. Nikons are great if reticle change and customer service are not a problem.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 12:39
2 years ago, I was considering one of the Leupy SF scopes for a varmint rifle and I had all but ruled out the scope after reading the info about SF adjustment lash on the 6mmbr site at the time.  So, I forwarded the 6mmbr link to Leupold asking for clarification, and they responded that although the info was true, it was dated, since they had since redesigned their SF mechanics to eliminate the lash issue in their newer scopes made during the last couple years.  So supposedly, this isn't the case anymore.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 16:36

DC and RD:

My intent wasn't to throw Leupold under the bus with my comment.

I have had a few Leupold owners complain to me about lash on their SF Leupolds.

I have read several posts online complaining of the same thing. Recently.

Most anytime the lash issue is brought up, Leupolds names close behind.

Dated?? Maybe your right.

Didn't read the book? Could be.

I prefer an AO to a side focus because they are more comfortable to me.  

Edited by cheaptrick
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 17:35

I realize that, Cheap, and didn't read anything else into your intent.

I can't prove or disprove whether the lash is still present in current SF models; I was only conveying what L told me in response to this very question I posed to them, in order to hopefully provide additional perspective.  Mine doesn't appear to have the lash problem, but then again, I always make a habit of overshooting the focus adjustment a little, then dialing back to it, just in case.  I also suspect that some people may perceive a problem exists because they read about it somewhere, when in fact, it may not be present anymore in the scope model(s) they own.

Being one of those "special"  southpaw shooters, I can definitely see where A/O would be preferable to you from a convenience standpoint.

What changes exactly were made to the Nikon Monarch X vs. the old Tactical models?  Outwardly, they look identical.  Mechanics aside, speaking purely from an optical perspective, what are the differences between the optics in the X and 1" Monarch series?  I'm torn between the X and the evil, sinister IOR 4-14X50 Tactical (which I fear may suddenly kindle an uncontrollable, dark urge to steal candy from babies and torture puppies for fun!!! ) in the dreaded ... gulp... MP8 reticle for an upcoming varmint rifle project.  The IOR is a little less expensive, I've heard great things in general about IOR optical performance, and I like the reticle for long range shooting, but outwardly, it just looks a little... well... wierd for my tastes.  From what I can tell from the pics, I think I'd like the Nikon's W/E knobs better, and I definitely prefer its aesthetics.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic