OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The New Monarch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The New Monarch
    Posted: February/05/2007 at 17:32

Hey guys, I'm back with a new name.  Lol I disabled my old account because I was getting kind of addicted to this forum, but I couldn't resist.

Have any of you had any firsthand experience with the new Nikon Monarch?  I'm particularly interested in the 4-16x42.  It looks really small for its magnification range!  I know most of the specs on the scope; I found some very interesting information in this article...

http://www.nikondownload.com/models/pressrelease/Monarch%20R iflescopes%20PR.doc

It's pretty informative, just seeing what you all think.  Thanks guys.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2007 at 17:46

Thanks for the link.

I hadn't seen that information before.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
guitarman87 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2007 at 22:49

Hey again, I also found some interesting information regarding all of their new scopes here...

http://nikondownload.com/products.asp?cid=1

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 08:57

good reading, thanks!!

J

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 09:49
Interesting information.  It looks like Nikon looked around and addressed the weaknesses (and replicated the strengths) of their key competitors:

Conquest has great glass and 4" of constant eye relief with a large ocular lens for an easy view but is comparatively big and bulky.  Elite 4200 scopes have nice glass and 4x magnification range.  Leupold scopes are smaller and lighter than the competition and talk a lot about flexible eye relief.

So Nikon went ahead and designed 4" of constant eye relief, 4x erector, large ocular lens, flexible eye relief in a scope that is comparatively small and light.

It looks great on paper.  Let's see how well it works once it hits the marketplace.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 16:25
Thanks, koshkin.  I was kind of wondering what some of you might think of the new Monarch.  I think I'm going to buy it in favor of the VX-III. 

Edited by guitarman87
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 16:32
Data on scope returns?  That is seldom disclosed.  Please share your findings.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 17:00

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Interesting information.  It looks like Nikon looked around and addressed the weaknesses (and replicated the strengths) of their key competitors:

Conquest has great glass and 4" of constant eye relief with a large ocular lens for an easy view but is comparatively big and bulky.  Elite 4200 scopes have nice glass and 4x magnification range.  Leupold scopes are smaller and lighter than the competition and talk a lot about flexible eye relief.

So Nikon went ahead and designed 4" of constant eye relief, 4x erector, large ocular lens, flexible eye relief in a scope that is comparatively small and light.

It looks great on paper.  Let's see how well it works once it hits the marketplace.

ILya

I'll be getting one as soon as SWFA gets them in.

Can't decide if I want the BDC or regular Nikoplex for the 4-16x unit.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8768-218-new-nikon-4-16x42-monarch-ri flescope.aspx

EDITED for spelling!!!!

Geessh!!

Edited by cheaptrick
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 17:05
Nice little scope cheap is that going to replace your 1/8MOA  6.5-20 or is it for another set-up.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 17:06
That's exactly the one I want cheaptrick.  If they made one in a fine duplex configuration, I would be in heaven,  The Nikoplex reticle is suffiently fine though, or at least it was on my old Buckmaster.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 17:15

Originally posted by SVD666 SVD666 wrote:

Nice little scope cheap is that going to replace your 1/8MOA  6.5-20 or is it for another set-up.

I'm going to try as many scopes as I can this year, just to try out and the new Monarch is one that I'll definitely be interested in.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 17:18
It reminds me of the Conquest in many ways, and I kind of like that.  I'm kind of borderline on the side focus adjustment...I've never had to deal with one.  Are they reliable?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 17:22
Originally posted by guitarman87 guitarman87 wrote:

It reminds me of the Conquest in many ways, and I kind of like that.  I'm kind of borderline on the side focus adjustment...I've never had to deal with one.  Are they reliable?

LIke most things in this life, they are perfectly reliable if manufactured by a reputable company.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 17:25

Some SF scopes experience "lash".

I have always felt that an AO is a superior or more accurate parallax adjustment.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 17:30
I'm not familiar with "lash."  Anyway, how do you think this will measure up to the VX-III?
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 17:32
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by SVD666 SVD666 wrote:

I'm going to try as many scopes as I can this year, just to try out and the new Monarch is one that I'll definitely be interested in.

Sounds good Cheap, I look foreward to your findings. I will not be buying many scopes this year but I have a few relatives and friends that are very exited and will be buying several of the new releases. I am currently working out a deal on a short dot and Porro 10x to 12x binos, this will prevent me from any purchases for some time. later this year if the budget permits I will be getting getting a PMII,1CM,GENII. I will be taking some fashion courses pretty soon, my wife is in the industry and wants me to be more involved in this field so I agreed to give it a try. This will limit my budget.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 17:48

You bet!

I'm excited about the new Monarchs.

Best of luck on the S&B's this year!!

That Short Dot's really interesting to me.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 17:53
Keep in mind that cheaptrick is a lefty, so his preference for AO is understandable: side focus is simply inconvenient for him.  Nevertheless, AO is simpler mechanically than side focus, but I've seen both work well when properly executed.

ILya 
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 17:55
Thank you Cheap. If I am a bit low on cash later this year I am going to give the Xotic D or M Tac a close look.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 18:02

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Keep in mind that cheaptrick is a lefty, so his preference for AO is understandable: side focus is simply inconvenient for him.  Nevertheless, AO is simpler mechanically than side focus, but I've seen both work well when properly executed.

ILya 

This new Monarch has a SF so I guess I'll be adjusting parralax with my shooting hand, or going over the top of the scope with my right hand.

Yeah, I agree with The Dark Lord, SF do work well on most quality scopes.

Interestingly, several Leupold owners have complained about SF lash on their Loopie's...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic