OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Observations on new SuperSnipers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Observations on new SuperSnipers
    Posted: February/04/2007 at 18:26

Spent yesterday at the range with a new production SS 10X with rear parallax.

These have new internals, better coatings and it would seem, amazingly better glass.

Showed this to several people, including a couple with SS scopes on their rifles and all were amazed at the optical clarity and resolution at near and far distance. My very picky gear junky shooting partner asked me several times if this was a tricked out demo version.

This is a very bright scope.

Black Squirrel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Squirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2007 at 23:48
Which brand/line of scope(s) would you rate the new SS's optical quality to equal?

Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 18:39

The unit I'm using right now will match the Leupold MkIV  M3 10x for clarity and low light usage.

It's almost as bright as the XOTIC prototype I have.

Dark Clouds View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Clouds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 03:15
When will these new models become available?
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 06:51
You can buy one now.
Yotecaller1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yotecaller1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2007 at 12:49

What the heck, never new there was a new line of the SS!  When did these come into play?  I bought the 10x rear focus last year sometime in march or april.  Is there really that much of a difference?  I am going to check them out right now.

Yotecaller1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yotecaller1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2007 at 12:53

Darn couldn't get to them the link is dead or something.  Same price?  Someone should post a side by side picture of the "older" model and the new line, looking through the scope for a comparison just to see really how much brighter they are.  Just curious.

jimbo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2007 at 16:21

Mike:

Can you give a little more info?  When did the new SS arrive and just how different are they?  Price?  And is this in place of the SS we've been waiting for?  Any news would be appreciated.  Thanks-Jimbo 

jim
Sendero View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2007 at 17:28
So no variable yet but they improved upon the current selection?

Is their exterior the same as the other models? Doesn't matter, I'll buy a new one soon enough :)

When are these great changes going to be mentioned on the SS product page? I'd think it would catch many peoples eyes and get quite a few more sales. They took an already excellent scope and improved upon it?!.....

Life is good 
One shot is all ya need!

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2007 at 18:08

These have been out for some time.  It's just the first one I've had the opportunity to tinker with in the field.

Same external looks fit and finish AND price

Better internal construction

Better adjustment feel

Much better coatings

Sharper reticle image

Much sharper image in field of view, lots of contrast

Better low light performance

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2007 at 19:52

Mike,

Thanks so much for taking the time to re-evaluate the SS.  I really appreciate your willingness to share you opinions here.

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2007 at 20:00
Dark Clouds View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Clouds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2007 at 02:36
An e-mail I received from SWFA stated that the changes(new coatings) began in October '06.
Sendero View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2007 at 05:56
October? Wow, I'm really behind the times 

One shot is all ya need!

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2007 at 11:05
Changes were due to military input related to the Designated Marksman program and actually took place in the summer of 2005, we received stock in October of 2005 (the 2006 date was a typo either in our e-mail or your post).  We carry a massive inventory because of spontaneous military orders so it could have taken some time before the latest variations made it to the street.
Sendero View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 06:16
Originally posted by Chris Chris wrote:

Changes were due to military input related to the Designated Marksman program and actually took place in the summer of 2005, we received stock in October of 2005 (the 2006 date was a typo either in our e-mail or your post).  We carry a massive inventory because of spontaneous military orders so it could have taken some time before the latest variations made it to the street.

As always, Thanks for the info Chris.

Is it safe to assume that from now on, those who place orders will receive the *latest variations* ??

One shot is all ya need!

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 11:54

Originally posted by Sendero Sendero wrote:

Is it safe to assume that from now on, those who place orders will receive the *latest variations* ??

Yep. 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 15:16
I just received one and it looks pretty good.  I'll post my impressions once I spend some time with it.  While I do not plan to go "Mike" on it, I will look carefully at the glass quality and the W/E repeatability.

ILya
xtreme_jeremy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtreme_jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 05:52

Chris,

any news on the varable SS? I have the 16x fixed but its a little hard to hunt with at least for close range shots! but man does it shine for long shots! I have shot out to 850 with it and the ajustments are right on every time!. my guns best groups have been with that scope I shot all three shots in the same hole at 100 yards with it.  I use that scope on guns to eliminat the scope from accuracy issues.

oh if any of you get a chance i would love it if you would vote for me in the photo contest! I am poor and need optics! even if you dont vote for me at least take a look at the finalists and vote for one of them! that little girl thats in first place right now deserves to win someting good!

Thanks!

Jeremy VanSchoonhoven

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2007 at 12:03
No new news to report as of right now.   Congratulations on your finalist status.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic