OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New here and asking for advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2007 at 17:50
One of IOR's HUGE advantages is it's use of the MP8 reticle.  It is very good for ranging and is easy to use.  On top of that, the IOR glass for your application(s) is excellent.
Bighouse View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bighouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2007 at 11:58

What about this Leupold for my .223? Is there any reason I wold not be happy with this model?

I found a pretty good deal on this scope used.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-3171-297-leupold-35-10x40-mark-4-lrt- 30mm-riflescope.aspx

gearup751 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gearup751 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2007 at 22:49

I have an IOR/Valdada   CQB 3x25 mounted on my FAL good for 400 yards easily.  The CQB reticle is easy to learn and adapt to, quick acquizition and rangefinding.  Not the same as mil-dot reticle that you are looking for, but a nice option for the scenerio you call out.  Glass is superb.  Illuminated reticle is one of the best on the market IMO.  This scope started a bad optics habit for me.  I have a US Optics SN-3 on my M1A with the mil-dot.  As stated above in other posts, it does take some calculations to master.  Tis is great when you have a scenerio with a lot of time to set up and go through the motions.  Usually a lot further out then 400 yards.  The closer the target is, the less time you have to set up the shot and quick acquzition is needed. Bottom line....Practice practice practice!

Just my 2 cents

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2007 at 10:18
Originally posted by Bighouse Bighouse wrote:

What about this Leupold for my .223? Is there any reason I wold not be happy with this model?

I found a pretty good deal on this scope used.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-3171-297-leupold-35-10x40-mark-4-lrt- 30mm-riflescope.aspx

This is quite typical of police sniper scopes and you would most likely be very happy with it. I will mention that the M1 knobs are quite large and have no protective cap covering them which is fine for a rifle that lives in a hard case and comes out only for SWAT team ops. The down side to the large knobs is that they catch on everything you go past tree branches etc (and those branches want to re-adjust your scope for you). 

The number one tactical scope in Law Enforcement is Leupold Mark 4 LRT  4.5-14x50.  (The best in the world is U.S. Optics SN3 or a S&B). The FFP scopes are prefered in some sniper schools since they mil at any power.    If you use a laser rangefinder the reticle is not as much of an issue and you could cut cost there. (Note: With a .223 you have to make a head shot and you want a bright optic that gathers lots of light.)

LEU54660 Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope               Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Side Focus
  • M1 Target Knobs
  • Free Leupold Flip-Open Lens Covers
SWFA: $969.95
More Info...
  Note there are some fake ones out there beware of used scopes on e-bay.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
nksmfamjp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nksmfamjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2007 at 11:48
The Burris XTR is nice, but for your use, I would strongly suggest the 6 x 42 IOR or the Super Sniper 10x.  Both would do what you need and eliminate the complexity of a non-FFP variable, which is the next step up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic