OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Steyr Mannlicher Forester

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steyr Mannlicher Forester
    Posted: February/03/2007 at 15:49
I have an opportunity to get a NIB Steyr Mannlicher Forester in a .260, other calibers are availble, but this is the one I am interested in, for 599.95.  I am sure alot of you guys know where this is, so we will let this be a guessing game, no prizes give out though.  I have never handled one of these rifles, but hear only good things about there build quailty and accuracy and the price is right.  According to all of my sources, a used one in excellent condition, should bring 575 and there is some fool on gunsamerica wanting 1275 for one.  Anybody have any experience with this rifle and what are your thoughts and recommendations.
rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2007 at 16:29
I had one of the rifles I special ordered in 6.5x68 (non belted
264 WM for all practical purposes). It was a fine rifle, functioned perfectly and was accurate given that it is not
a bench rest cartridge or rifle. It has an excellent non-lawyer trigger. IMO kinda ugly but I like classic 1930s 03 sporters.
They are Euro but they work well. An acquired taste... like my R1.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2007 at 19:49

The foresters are the same guns, virtually, as the Steyr Luxus etc. without the expensive finish and wood. Action is same as basic PSS. Have used a Steyr Luxus for 7x64 Brenneke for 30 years as (mostly) main hunt gun. Used their H mantle bullets before they became known as Nosler partitions. Also picked up a Steyr Mannlicher in 270 couple of years ago. Always on look out for more. The Luxus have outstanding single set triggers, good iron back up sights, don't know about the Forester. Would easily choose the Forester over many of todays guns. Price sounds good. A 260 would be a fun cart. to work with.

Forgot to add--one of the best offhand guns to shoot.

As a recall Speer had just introduced the Grand Slam and was wanting to try them, and brenneke had the TUG.

Edited by Dale Clifford
Bender View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2007 at 03:32
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

Used their H mantle bullets before they became known as Nosler partitions..

I wouldn't agree with that- RWS H-mantel is different bullet than Nosler partition- it means hollow jacket. It has hollow copper tip,and it has no partition like Nosler.

Cheers

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2007 at 10:03
It's been a while since I looked, but I thought it was because the copper formed an H closing at the tip.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2007 at 11:39
Dolphin, that's an excellent price on a NIB Forester!  If you were wanting a .260 (a little round I personally find intriguing myself), that would be a good rifle to get it in!  The Forester is Steyr's least fancy wood stocked rifle, but it's still an extremely well-made rifle.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2007 at 12:16
BTW, you may already be aware of this, but the Forester model has been discontinued.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2007 at 14:11
That is what I figured, when I could not find it on their website.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 13:27
So, did you end up buying the rifle?  If so, let us know how you liked it.
Ted

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 05:21
Not yet, thet do not take AE, which is what I use for my secret purchases.  I really want a 260 Remington, the caliber is great, but all the factory offered models have short barels that really cannot take advantage of the ballistics the caliber has to offer.  Even the Kimber has a 22 inch barrel.  That is another reason I like the Steyr, it has almost a 24 inch barrel or you can choose the shorter barrel.  I will let you know, but I have to find and end around on this one.
rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 09:19
Secret from whom? Not the "wife" I hope?
Get a mastercard from Advanta Bank, 8% apr, no interest on bal tx for 15 months, no annual fee.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 11:11
You got it.  If it goes on AE I can pay it off slowly through our debit account without creating a scene.  I may have to looking into the MC.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 12:34
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the rifle anyway.  I figured since I quit smoking, I deserved a present, so that is how I will try to justify the purchase.  I will let you guys know how it looks and feels when it comes in.  I scoured the internet looking for another 260 Remington and could not find one with a barrel longer than 22 inches, unless ordered as a custom.  At this price it puts it cheaper than the Remingtons and about on par with the Ruger 77 MarkIIs.  Another interesting thing that I found, is that not many rifle manufactures offer a the 260 Remington caliber.  The .264 Winchester Magnum, was by far more popular, but for the minor incremental increase in performance, there is as much as a 16 grain difference in powder expenditure (comparing a 140 grain bullet).  Oh well, cannot wait until it arrives.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2007 at 12:34
Well, I finally got to shoot the rifle yesterday.  I worked up some handloads with 140 grain Sierra Gameking bullets and 39.7 grains of Vi N140 powder, as well as another load that I did not get a chance to shoot, due to the heat and limited time.  A Nikon Monarch 5.5x16 44mm AO BDC reticle scope, purchased during the SWFA sale was mounted on the rifle with Warne mounts and fixed rings.  After bore sighting and one shot at 25 yards, I was on paper at 100 yards on the second shot.  After a couple shots I cleaned the barrel and got a little more serious.  Unfortunately, due to the heat, the barrel warmed up very quick, requiring me to switch to a Savage 17HMR I had mounted a, yes, a BSA Sweet 17, swapped out for a Simmons 3x9 40mm scope that I could hit quarters all day long at 100 yards.  At any rate, the Steyr turned in 0.75 inch groups on 2 occasions and after the time spent was reasonably well zeroed at 2 inches high at 100 yards.  However, more range time is needed, along with barrel break in to really let the rifle settle in and see what it is capable of.  As far a the performance and handling of the rifle.  Stellar.  What would I compare it to, with respect to handling.  It reminded me of a Tikka, as it is relatively light and easy to bring to the shoulder and would make a good mountain rifle.  I choose the longer of the two length barrels available, so if any are left at the location I purchased them from, a shorter, mountain style barrel is available.  The 260 Remington caliber is sold out.  The ejection port is also in the mold of the Tikka, which I have previously stated, I do not prefer.  Manufacturer PR will say this is to make the action more rigid and more accurate, but the truth is to save money.  Both rifles are perfectly accurate regardless.  The main reason I do not like the small port is that at the range, when I am saving my brass and I do not want to eject it to the next county and I pull the bolt back lightly to throw it onto the table, sometimes it remains in the chamber.  With the small port, you have to fiddle to get the spent round out.  No big deal though.  The bolt action.  It is as close to a Mark V in smoothness that I have ever seen.  Incredible.  Even after I picked the rifle up and had previously inserted the bolt, but not enough to keep it in, resulting in it falling out on to the concrete.  Only a scratch or two, but alot of bad words.  Trigger.  Incredible.  I did not have a trigger pull gauge, but I would guess it let off at a crisp 2 pounds.  It suprised me the first time I pulled the trigger.  There is essentially not creep, engagement is crisp and there is no over travel.  I would have to get one of my Wby. rifles out and compare, but this may be one of the best triggers I have ever pulled, regardless of factory or after market.  The only after market trigger I have personally tried, is a Timney.  I have one on a custom 340 Wby. built on a 98 Mauser platform with a McGowen barrel and the other I have tried is on an accurized Remington 700, that belongs to a friend.  While these triggers are excellent, I  always thought that my factory Wby. triggers were equally as good and on one rifle I own better, but I believe it was probably tweaked at one point.  The Steyr trigger surpasses the Timney triggers.  If anyone has a chance, please try one of these rifles just to experience the trigger.  Again, fit and finish and wood to metal finish was perfect.  The Nikon Monarch is a model of perfection and has moved into first place as my favorite scope and brand over my beloved Bushnell Elite 4200 and Sightron SII.  Overall, the price I paid for the Steyr was an absolute steal and I am thinking about buying another in a different caliber if they have not sold out.  Oh well, just checked and they only have it left in a 7mm-08 and I already have a Savage in that caliber.  Hmmm, maybe they will make a trade, which I think they do or maybe I should sell the Savage and get the Steyr.  I will have to think about that.
smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2007 at 20:19

I bought a Steyr ProHunter in 6.5X57 very similiar to the 260. The trigger is fantastic, about the best I have used. (I also have a Sako 75 and the Steyr is perhaps even better)  This one has a green plastic stock and mate finish, perhaps an aquired taste, but the trigger and bolt are wonderful. They seem to be selling off the current stock, gunsamerica has some at very good prices. Because of the odd caliber I got mine for $550 including shipping. Best gun for the money I have ever bought new.

Ron    

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2007 at 08:47
I paid the same for my Forester.  I was not going to give up my source, but did you get yours from a company in Texas?
smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2007 at 09:41

Actually it was from a company in Indiana. I believe that they bought out some left over stock in odd calibers. In talking with Steyr USA (now in Atlanta area) the 6.5X57 was never officially imported to the US. Still looking to find an extra magazine. They can be ordered, but are expensive and will take a month or more. The 6.5X57 is an interesting round, not quite the same as a 7X57 necked down but close. About 10% more than a 6.5X55SE. Brass is expensive, but RWS should last a long time.  

Ron

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2007 at 15:19
I have grown to love all the 6.5 calibers.  Nice bullet selectio with great BCs.  How accurate is your rifle?  Again, I really have not had a chance to even break in the barrel, but so far it is shooting great and is becoming one of my favorites.  I bought it for my newborn son, but it will see alot of shooting before he gets to use it.  His cousin shot his first black bear at age 9 and so he has to get his at age 8.  Just a little competition.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2007 at 02:18
Glad to hear you are pleased with your Steyr, Dolphin!  I agree, they do come with excellent factory triggers.  I do agree the small ejection port does make it difficult to pluck individual cases out of the action.  This is a design found on several European rifles.  I have a Sauer m200 that features the same port design.  Likewise, the new T/C Icon has the small port as well.  Even though the "benefit" may be negligible in a hunting rifle, it's true that the less steel machined out of the action, the more rigid the action.  The minimal port means that the top of the action remains solid, which gives it more resistance to flexing axially.  The cost difference is minimal, as the action is machined in a CNC milling center and the difference in machine cycle time to cut a small port vs. a large port isn't very significant.  During firing, a rifle action and barrel goes through a surprising amount of flexing and oscillation that you don't see.  A stiffer action, all else being equal, provides a more accurate foundation, provided the barrel is good.  Most factory hunting rifles, with the limitations of factory barrels and factory tolerances, probably aren't inherently accurate enough to realize the difference, though.
Ted

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2007 at 09:35
Good to hear from you again Rifledude.  I have not been around much with my new son.  But, I did manage to get out and handload two boxes of shells and shoot about 12 or so rounds.  It was hot that day and the barrell was heating up fast.  Hope you have been doing well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic