OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Luepold or Ziess

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Luepold or Ziess
    Posted: February/03/2007 at 03:58
My 17 year old son just bought a Tikka T3 lite SS (25-06) and wants the best scope he can get into for $500, one he will not have to worry about fogging up, last a lifetime and will match the Tikka's barrel. He has roughly $400 saved for the scope right now,  the 2 scopes he's looking at are Leupold VXIII 3.5-10x40 and a Ziess 3-9x40. I believe both are about the same price, both have great warranty's. Which one or is there any other scope he should consider?
cottonpicker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cottonpicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2007 at 07:52
I just put a Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x50 on my Browning A-bolt .270 and I love it!  It was about $445 shipped to my door.  I would definitely look at the 4200's if I were him.
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2007 at 08:30

Along with looking at the 4200 mentioned above, I'd rank your son's choices in order of preference:

1) Zeiss Conquest 3x9 40mm--better in every way optically over the Leupold VX-III.  Just as reliable & identical warranty as Leupold.  My first choice;

2) Bushnell Elite 4200 4x16 50mm--excellent scope, great warranty.  Reliable.  Better optically than the VX-III;

3) Leupold VX-III 3.5x10 40mm--good scope & excellent warranty.  Reliability is good but brightness in the woods lags behind the previous two scopes.

Best of luck to your son.  Let us know what he decides to buy.

jsethmor View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsethmor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2007 at 08:59
I have a vari-x III 3.5-10x40 and a Zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44.  The Zeiss is definately better as far as optical quality goes.  I would buy the Zeiss.
miket_81 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miket_81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2007 at 09:03

I would think that the 4200 3-9X40 for $269 really needs a look. If you wanted to spend a little more the 4200 2.5-10X40 is another option.

The best for the money would be the 4200.

The best optically barely over the 4200 is the zeiss.

Until people get over the name you'll probably get most of your money back out of the Leupold.

Badland View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2007 at 16:31

Thanks for the info guys,  my son and I are now looking at the Bushnells 4200. I believe we have ruled out the Leupold's, and with the price differance with the Ziess he may elect to go with Busnell. They is a bit of a price differance between the two and if he can get into a quality scope for less that is the way to go for him especially since making $7 an hour part time after school is alot of money for a 17 year old. We started another post asking for input on the Bushnell warranty. Thanks again, Tim

rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2007 at 16:36
Is the SWFA Nikon Monarch sale all done? Probably the best buys out there.
Smokey53119 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey53119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2007 at 17:44

The 4200 3-9x40 is an excellent deal at its price point.  I put one on my wife's 6mm Remington last Fall and I am impressed. 

Buying this scope leaves enough dough out of his $400 for decent bases and rings and a half dozen boxes of shells for sight in and practice too.

jsethmor View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsethmor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2007 at 19:07
Nikon monarch!  Best buy out there right now.  3-9x40= $218, buy buy buy. I just bought one for my browning.  Very good scope.
Smokey53119 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey53119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2007 at 20:49

Damn!  That is a GREAT buy

Leaves money for 2 or 3 more boxes of shells!

Leupold?  Zeiss?  No way!

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 09:24

i would highly reccomend the monarch's on sale right now - very tough, bright, and reliable.

you can't go wrong w/ the 4200's either.  GREAT gun btw. you will love it.

for the money, go monarch and put the rest in a good set of mounts.

J

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 11:49
Cotton....... did you have a Lab named Cropper?
take em!
Badland View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 16:32
 My son elected to go with the Nikon Monarch 3x9, we kicked it around alot, I have a Nikon Buckmasters(Monarchs way better)on another gun so he had some idea about what they were about and a trip to the sporting store made up his mind. Want to thank all you guys for all the info. Tim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic