OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What do you own?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do you own?
    Posted: August/19/2004 at 08:19

Reading through the posts here reveals a lot of opinions and bias, just as you would expect from a site like this.  For example, I just read one about VX III vs. Zeiss Conquest.  One says VX III is not in the same league, another says he owns both and prefers the Leupold.  I started thinking that this is what I like to know; what do you own and use, and what do you think of it?  This will still be influenced by bias, but it's much better than somebody reading and ad or a website and becoming an expert.  Here's what I own now.

Leupold VX III 2.5-8X36  Excellent I have two of these

Burris Signature Safari 1.75-5  Excellent

Burris Signature Select 1.5-6X40 Very Good

Burris Black Diamond 2.5-10X44 Excellent

Burris FFII 3-9X40 Good

Simmons Whitetail 1.5-5 Acceptable

Burris 2-7 Handgun Very Good

Here's some others I have bought recently and didn't keep

Leupold VX III 3.5-10X50 Great scope, didn't like 50mm Obj, high rings

Kahles 2-7X36  Good, but not worth the money.  Like VX III better

Nikon Monarch 5.5-16.5 Good scope, but eye relief too short

Simmons 2X Handgun Cheap

Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 Replaced by the 2.5-8 VX III

My Bias: I don't like big objective lenses or high powered scopes.  Swarovski, S & B, and Zeiss VM/V are superior, but not worth the money for practical use.

SPAD View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2004 at 12:20
  I agree with you.  You have some excellent scopes.  I try to match the optic to the rifle on the basis of specific tasks.  I tend to do alot of research and evaluations before I buy a scope.  Make sure when you look thru a scope at the dealer, to take it outside and look thru it with natural light preferably at dusk.  All scopes tend to look good when using atrificial light indoors.  Shop around, go to ranges with your friends/other shooters and do the "try before you buy".  If you come to the range and I am there I will let you shoot a few rounds to try it out.  Not everyone is like me, though.   You don't have to spend alot of money to get a good scope.  I was raised/trained that the most important thing is to see the target, then, "If you can see it you can hit/kill it".

Nikon Monarch 5.5-16.5X44  ---  .222 REM Target rifle (R700)  (Excellent Scope for punchin' paper)
 Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14X44  ---  .22-250 REM (Wby SPM)   (Excellent Scope)
 Leupold VX III 4.5-14X40 LR (VHR)(30MM) ---  .22-250 REM Varmint (R700)  (Near Perfect Scope)
 Swarovski 3-10X42 (4A Reticle) ---  .243 Sako AII Manlicher (Perfect classical Euro match)
 Swarovski 4-12X50 (TDS reticle)  --- .25-06 Maple (R700)  (Excellent Scope)
 Kahles 3-9X40 (TDS reticle)  ---  .260 REM (R700 SS) (Project rifle)
 Leupold VX II 3-9X40 (#1 German reticle)  ---  .260 REM (Kimber 84M)  (Scope is good but bought for the reticle style)
 Leupold VX III 3.5-10X40 (B&C reticle)  ---  .270 WIN Sako Custom (Magnum Research Mountain Eagle) (Project Rifle)
 Burris Black Diamond 4-16X50 (Ballistic Mil-Dot)  ---  7mm REM Mag (W70) Laredo (Long Range Hunter)(Excellent Scope)
 Leupold 3-9X40 European (30MM) ---  300 Savage (R700 Classic) (Excellent 30MM for the money)(VX II equivalent??)
 Nikon 3-9X40 Buckmaster --- 308WIN Scope #1  (Sighted in for 100yds with PMC Gold 165gr Barnes X)
 Weaver Grand Slam 4.5-14X40 --- 308WIN Scope #2 (Sighted in for 200yds with Federal 165gr SGKs)
 Schmidt & Bender 10X40 PM 1  ---  .308 WIN (R700)(Police w/modifications)  (Perfection out to 500m)
 Swaovski 4-12X40 (4A reticle)  ---  300WSM  Sako Finnlight (My new toy!)
 Zeiss Diavari C 3-9X36  ---  350 REM Mag (R700 Classic)(I feel was the most under rated 1" scope)(Excellent Scope)

Orphan Scopes

Pentax WU 3-9X40 (Great Scope)
 Pentax WU 3.5-10X50 Illum Balistic Plex (In a shoot-out with the Leupold B&C reticle for the 270 Sako)

Previously owned scopes

Simmons Whitetail 3-10X44(?) (Marginal scope, little eye relief)
Zeiss Conquest 3-10X42(?) (Great scope, sold with rifle)
Zeiss Conquest 3-10X42(?) (Great Scope, sold)
Leupold Mark4 M1 (Great Scope, Sold in lieu of S&B)
Leupold M8 8X40 (Rifle Stolen)
Redfield 3-9X40 Police (Sold in lieu of Leupold Mark4)
Redfield 3-9X40 Old Wide View (Gave to my cousin)(Came on Sako 243 Manilcher)
Swarovski 3-10X40 (Rifle Stolen)

SPAD

SPAD
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2004 at 15:05

let me start off by saying, that when you read through the posts, it can be a number of things that people say one scope is good, and the other isnt as good, and the next person says the exact opposite, first possibility, is that they favor that brand more, or it actually is the correct review, and the other person is favoring the brand, second, the scope better fits the perons eye than the other scope. i dont have nearly as many scopes as SPAD, but i have a few, but i have used ALOT.

2 2003 VXIII's 1 4.5-14x40, the other 3.5-10x40, and i love them both.

1 el cheapo $30 bushnell on a el cheapo black powder, and that scope has gone through alot in the 2 years since i bought it new.

a 4x33 leupold on another black powder omega that has held up very well.

2.5 leupold IER on a 336 35 remington brush gn that is workin good, i jsut recentyly got.

POS BSA contender that i use as a tool for turn in rings.

im ordering a VXII 3-9x40 tomarrow, so i guess that kinda counts

i think im missin quite a few.

cory

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2004 at 15:44

These are the ones that I have right now on my guns; I've used and inspected quite a few others also.

Sightron SII 3-9x42MD on a Tikka in 280Rem. Great scope: tough and optically superb.

Sightron SI 3-9x40MD on a Kel-tec SU-16. Best quality for the money I've seen yet. Held zero and remained clear and bright on a variety of guns. Optically equal to Bushnell Elite 3200 scopes, IMO.

Leupold IER 2.5x on a 8mm Mauser scout.  Solid, clear scope.

Swift 2x Handgun scope on a Mosin Nagant M38 scout. Bright clear scope.

Swift 4x handgun scope  on a Mosin Nagant M39 scout. Bright clear scope.  Both Swift scopes have better clarity and resolution than Leupold IER, but have narrower field of view

Kalinka Optics PPO 5-20x50FS on a Savage 12FV in 22-250.  An all right scope, but you can do better for the money.

Nimrod 6x40 Israeli Army scope on a Mosin Nagant M39.  Optically equal to my Zeiss Diavary ZA with better eye relief.  Tough as nails, built in sunshade.

Zeis Diavari ZA T* 1.5-6x42 waiting for my Parker Hale 308 project to finish. No need to elaborate on the quality of this scope, is there?

Russian Taiga 2U Red Dot sight on a Romanian SKS.  Well, I like tinkering with stuff and this scope works well for me, but I would not put it on my SHTF rifle.

Bushnell ELite 3200 10x40 on a Tikka Sporter in 308.  Good deal for the money, but this rifle deserves a better scope.

Weaver K2.5 on a VZ24 sniper.  Very rugged scope with decent optical quality.

Russian VOMZ 4x32 waiting for a side-mount SKS project.  Suprisingly great clarity, resolution and brightness.

Tasco 4x32IR on a friend's Kel-Tec SU 16.  Held up very well over the years. Not Zeiss optics, but quite servicable.

Tasco 3-9x32 rimfire scope on a Romanian 22LR trainer.  Perfectly fine for 22LR ranges. Held zero very well through thousands of rounds.

I also have spent a lot of time with IOR Valdada 6x42 1" tube scope (great scope), Bushnell 3-9x40 Trophy (good for the money) and a few others.

kokdyer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kokdyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2004 at 13:01

Here's my stuff!  From what I can remember 99% is in the Wyoming and I am in Spain.

Remington M700 25-06 Sendaro (the black one) Bushnell 6-18 (model? Banner?) NOT BRIGHT, NOT CLEAR, TOUGH COST $200

Sako Finn Fiber 30-06 Zeiss Conquest 3-9, Leupold Rings (only ones I could find) CLEAR, BRIGHT, TOUGH COST $400

Sako Finn Fiber 375 Burris 1.5-6 Signature, Leupold Rings.  CLEAR, BRIGHT, TOUGH COST $250ISH

Ruger #1Stainless Laminate 375 H&H Burris 2-7 Compact  CLEAR, BRIGHT, TOUGH COST $250ISH

Ruger M77 30-06 Leupold M8 4x CLEAR BRIGHT GIFT

Ruger M77 35 Whelan Burris 3-9 FF2 CLEAR BRIGHT TOUGH COST $200

Winchester M70 Classic Super Grade 300 Winchester Leupold VARI-XIII 3.5-10 TOUGH TONS OF EYE RELEIF 

Sako Custom 8mm Remington Magnum STILL WORKING ON THIS ONE!

Remington M700 Custom KS 338 Winchester Kahles 3-9 LOVE IT! $500 7 YEARS AGO

Remington M700 LSS 7mm RUM Leupold LPS 4.5-14 GREAT SCOPE LOTS OF $$$$

Remington M700 LSS 338 RUM Leupold LPS 4.5-14 GREAT SCOPE LOTS OF $$$$

Remington M673 350 Remington Magnum Burris FF2 3-9 GREAT!

Remington M673 308 WCF Burris 3-9 FF2 3-9 GREAT!

Steyr Mannlicher 270 Luxus full stock Puch 2-7 GREAT!

Remington M700 custom 9.3x64 Brenneke Burris 1.75-6 Signature Great big game scope!

Blaser R93  9.3x62 Docter 3-9 1 inch Great scope brighter than anything Leupold makes!

Remington M700 "Big Game" 416 Rem Swarovski 1.75-6 PH OF COURSE IT'S AWESOME BUT IT WAS 980 Euros!

I love Burris, Docter, and Kahles.  I have had problems with Leupold, but they have the best guarantee going!  Scmidt Bender, Zeiss, and Swarovski high dollar scopes have unreal color, brightness, and clairity.  But you will pay for it!  Better off spendign that extra $1000 on binoculars.

The bottom line is I should have spent $300-600 on all my scopes and bought a pair of high end binoculars a long time ago.  I have only had good binoculars for about 2 years.  I have been buying guns for 12 on my own since I left high school.  A great scope will enable you to see targets well.  Great binoculars will enable you to see the WORLD well!

USMC8541 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USMC8541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2004 at 13:23
Here what i Own
Weatherby Mark V TRR Magnum Custom 308 - SS10x42
Weatherby MarkV (SVM) Super Varmintmaster 22-250  IOR 6-24x50 Varmint
Weatherby MarkV Ultra Lightweight 30-06  Burris 3.5-10x50
Weatherby MarkV DGR  460Mag  Swarovski 1.25-4x24 lluminated
Weatherby Vanguard 300 Mag  Nikon Monarch 1.5-6x43
Remington 700 Fluted Sendero 300 ULTRA (Need A Scope) in mind of a Nikon Titanum UCC 3.3-10x44

Sgt C USMC (Dav)http://www.rleeermey.com/
BOLIO1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOLIO1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2004 at 09:31

My goodness!  Man I need to buy alot of guns and optics to catch you guys.  Very Nice!

Remington 700 (30-06) Leupold 6x42 (clear, Affordable,IMHO,I like variable scopes but this fits it well.)

Browning A-bolt(308) Burris FF2 3x9x40(Very clear for the money.)

Savage 112BVSS (300 win mag) Super Sniper 16x(I know its a Tasco,but I love it)

Marlin 7000 (.22) Leupold 4x28 rf( Excellent scope.Very clear and I cannot believe the light it gathers.

Marlin 17v (.17) Burris FF2 Ballistic plex  (Very clear and the ball. plex works very well)

Savage 17mach2 Leupold 3x9x33efr (Its new so the jury is still out.  Maybe the best I own)

I know it's just a starter kit, but I will be adding more as I go.

Next up is a DPMS .308.  I'm thinking a Zeiss with milldot.

killer junior View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2004 at 16:14
I thought I read somewhere that Tasco has nothing to do with the Super Sniper any longer.  SWFA has purchased exclusive rights to continue producing and selling the scope.  How far am I off here?   
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2004 at 18:36

your exactly right, SWFA own the rights to to super sniper scope. and its still made in the same place, the same way it always has been since the day it was introduced. and tasco never has made a scope, they simply do like many other companies do, and sub contract there scopes out, thats why center lines of tasco scopes are a POS, and some are jsut plain awesome, basically the ones made in china are crap, and the ones made in japan are good.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2004 at 19:23
Originally posted by redneckbmxer24 redneckbmxer24 wrote:

your exactly right, SWFA own the rights to to super sniper scope. and its still made in the same place, the same way it always has been since the day it was introduced. and tasco never has made a scope, they simply do like many other companies do, and sub contract there scopes out, thats why center lines of tasco scopes are a POS, and some are jsut plain awesome, basically the ones made in china are crap, and the ones made in japan are good.

cory

So officially they're designated as SWFA Super Sniper scopes and not Tasco Super Sniper scopes?  
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2004 at 19:26

exactly, and they're some "good damn scopes" as i say to quite a few people.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2004 at 20:44
To quote kokdyer "I love Burris, Docter, and Kahles.  I have had problems with Leupold, but they have the best guarantee going!  Scmidt Bender, Zeiss, and Swarovski high dollar scopes have unreal color, brightness, and clairity.  But you will pay for it!  Better off spendign that extra $1000 on binoculars". This man is really on to something that many of us, including myself, should be allocating our dollars to if we are using our rifles for hunting!!!!! Someone buy this man a cigar, please.
acearch72 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acearch72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2004 at 21:09

OK, so explain to me why it is good to be able to see a trophy animal in your $1000.00 binoculars at twilight but when you put up your gun with your $250.00 scope you can't see it any more.

Your scope should be at least equal to your binoculars.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2004 at 21:13

becuase you can get a scope that is jsut about as clear of a scope for less than swaro, schmidt, and zeiss.

cory

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2004 at 22:39
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

To quote kokdyer "I love Burris, Docter, and Kahles.  I have had problems with Leupold, but they have the best guarantee going!  Scmidt Bender, Zeiss, and Swarovski high dollar scopes have unreal color, brightness, and clairity.  But you will pay for it!  Better off spendign that extra $1000 on binoculars". This man is really on to something that many of us, including myself, should be allocating our dollars to if we are using our rifles for hunting!!!!! Someone buy this man a cigar, please.

Somebody should let Tasco know.   They still list it on their website as if they own it.

At least they were kind of enough to refer potential buyers to SWFA.

Hmmm... why can't I insert a hyperlink on this forum? 

acearch72 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acearch72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2004 at 22:53

cory,

respectfully, you can believe whatever you want, but if your scope is not as good as your binoculars and you hunt early/late, you will sooner or later be dissapointed.

experience is a hard teacher, as I have learned.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2004 at 09:19

i dont hardly use bino's at all, i have a pair, but never use them. all i ussually carry with my when hunting is my backpack which contains my bino's, my leica 1200, and various other things, and my rifle with a scope. i hunt anywhere from 10-700 yards, and dont use bino's, and my scope stays clear as a bell long after my reticle goes missing, so i dont see the need in spending $1000+ on a hunting scope. i leave the high dollar optics for tactical, and competitiion shooting, not regular hunting.

cory

Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 12:08
No binos????? I use my Leica 10x42's 99% more than any riflescope I have.  Maybe its the open country I hunt, but I can't think of anytime or anywhere when someone uses a scope more than binos. 
Sako .308 Win View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sako .308 Win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 18:35
True, Grubbs! I would rather look through my Zeiss binos to size up a deer and to search for a deer in the brush than to keep picking up my rifle and looking through my scope with one eye. To me binos are a more useful tool to hunt with, but a riflescope is very important as well. I do not skimp on the quality of my riflescopes. Brian
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 21:01

well, ive always been told im a little odd, lol, i hunt a field, but the rest is woods, the field offers up to a 800 yard shot, and i just use my scope for that.

cory

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic