OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Varmint/Target scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Varmint/Target scope
    Posted: February/02/2007 at 13:18

OK here goes. I just purchased a Remington Light Varmint Stainless Fluted 22-250 and need a recommendation on a good Varmint/Target scope. I was looking at a Bushnell 4200 4-16x50. I actually found this forum by accident, but I have to say you guys are very up on your rifle scopes. My budget is around 600.00. I am open for suggestions and thanks tremendously for the help.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2007 at 13:22
3-4 power is what i recommend to anyone for the lowest setting on a varmint scope, if you call coyotes and bobcat's and hunt alone mostly, if you only use it for pdogs and chucks then 6-6.5 is acceptable, the 4200 is a great scope, i would also look into the nikon monarchs they are on sale big time here at swfa,
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
DEFCON 1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEFCON 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2007 at 17:35

I'm presently trying a PENTAX GAMESEEKER 3.5-10X50. I'm completely impressed with this scope for the cost. Its tough, its clear, its consistent. Its just right on my 22-250 for dogs till I've saved up $1500.00 for a ELCAN DIGITAL HUNTER NIGHT/DAY. I specifically like the precision plex reticle even better than mil dot. Lack of Ao is a big plus for night hunting. While not a $600.00 the big brother LIGHTSEEKER is and completely worth it in my opinion. My friend has a new ZEISS  CONQUEST  3.5-10X50, the only difference I can see in the 2 is the reticle. The Zeiss has a first plane reticle, the PENTAX has a second plane reticle. I actually like my reticle better. The better LIGHTSEEKER is the 2.5-10x56mm is on par if not better than the Conquest.JMHO

DEFCON 1    

3trickplays07 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3trickplays07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2007 at 14:09
I just purchased a Nikon Monarc here, 6.5x20 with BDC reticle (old style AO).  It's backordered, but they say it should be in any day.  You can't beat the deal for $362 delivered.
exhogflyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exhogflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 14:34
   I have the Bushnell 4-16 on my 25-06, and it's a very nice piece of glass, and compares favorably against some of my Zeiss scopes.If you can pony up a few more crackers take a look at the Zeiss Conquest line, but I think the Bushnell is still an awesome scope.
State Arms Rebel .50 BMG
sorry, couldn't hear your shot
oldman47 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldman47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2007 at 18:44
 The pentax scopes are little talked about -underated - and are a darn good scope that can be had for less than they're worth . I'm not going to compare them to the 4200's because no one at our range has tested the 2 against each other . The Monarchs are very good and are at lower prices ... thank god for competition . Pentax makes some of the best camera lenses around and I would assume their scope lenses to be of equal quality. I've never seen any Pentax component with bad press and I've been around a long time . And as far as them being equal to leupold ... they give you alot more for the money ..... as do the other mentioned manufacturers . A low end leupold with so-so optics will cost  much more than the other 3 mentioned scopes with higher end glass with the same rock solid warranty!   In fact I just checked .... Pentax has a complete no-fault guarantee for life even if you stomp it to pieces ... they'll give you another one FREE . 

Edited by oldman47
dogcrazyone View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogcrazyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2007 at 21:13
I have a Ruger M77 Heavy Target Model, chambered in .220 Swift, and topped it with a Weaver 4-16 x 42 Classic V 16 model with the dot reticle. It has made for an extremely lethal combo on yotes and bobcats as well as prarie dogs. It's extremely durable and very clear and is always dead on. Great scope at 289.00.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2007 at 10:06
 I have ordered two Nikon Monarchs during the sale. One of them has been delivered and the glass is very good. Equal to my B&L and better than my Burris Signatures.  Monarch all the way at present pricing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic