OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR vs. Nightforce

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR vs. Nightforce
    Posted: February/01/2007 at 10:54
Hello everyone,  First of all, I would like to apologize for mentioning a scope manufacturer that SWFA doesn't carry.  Anyway, I'm in the beginning stages of putting together another Savage, this one being the LRPV.  I've narrowed the tubes down to either a NXS 5.5-22 or the IOR 6-24 tactical.  After all the time I've spent researching, I really want to employ one of these two scopes.  The IOR is less money plus it comes with rings, (of course).  I really like the features of the NXS, but at the same time, I also know the IOR is top-shelf, in my mind anyway.  I know that some of you have experience with both of these and I would really appreciate any feedback you can offer.  Am I the only one that stays awake at night rackin' my brain about working brass,  mils, range estimating, dies, powders, wondering how I can tighten up my groups?  Just kidding, I'm sure alot of you are as guilty of that as I am. Anyway, if you'all could share your thoughts about, It would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks, Rob
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 12:27
You can't really go wrong with either.  If you are talking about the 35mm IOR scope, than the glass is a little better than Nightforce, but both are good.  Mechanically both are excellent.  IOR has had some problems in the past, but they have gotten their act together and I think can hang comfortably with IOR. 

Nightforce, however, has several available reticles if memory serves me right.

So it really comes down to personal preferences, I like IOR scopes and I like their MP-8 reticle.  However, I know a lot of people who really like Nightforce's super-thin reticles for the shooting they do.

ILya
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 13:56

Rob, what type of shooting is this scope going to be mainly used for?

Trinidad

TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 15:31

IOR....

You sound like you pretty much have your mind made up on the first post...

We refuse to compromise our quality for pricing.
100% USA Made.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 15:35
Forget my previous post. IOR........
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 15:37
My commitment to IOR scopes have just been reconfirmed.

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 15:51

Me too....I've ALWAYS been an IOR guy!! 

Thanks, Phil!!  

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 15:54
Replace the scope with.........
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 16:15
Cheaptrick, I always new you'd see the light.

Roy, get your mind out of the gutter (or if I am wrong about what you are implying, then I'll get my mind out of the gutter).

ILya
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 16:20
Nope, you were on the right track.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 16:26
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

I was afraid of that.

Phil, see what you started?  This gives an absolutely unholy slant to the whole IOR tube diameter debacle (as a side not I just received another set of TPS rings and the quality is superb).

Any comments on IOR vs Nightforce, Roy? (trying to get this thread back on the right track).

ILya
rob1963 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 17:08
Hey fellas,  Just got back in from work, uh, wow, did'nt expect those kinds of reports, although you don't here me complaining!  Anyway, where was I?  Oh yea, the scope issue.  I will primarily use the new build for yotes and g-hogs out to about as far as I can accurately shoot.  Also some target of course and maybe crows if I can get a little more time before season goes out.  One thing I am impressed with is the MP8 reticle, it seems like it would help me range a little better.  Indeed the NXS has several options as far as reticles go and a couple of them I like.  My other Mod. 12's all have Burris tubes and they have been fine and have not had any trouble with them.  I just wanted to raise the bar a little and put some real good glass on the new 12.  Again, feedback is greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Rob
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 17:36

rob,

I have no experience with IOR... but I have a sudden, uncontrollable urge to try one for some reason...

but anyway, I can comment on Nightforce, since I have the 3.5-15X50 NXS and a buddy has the 5.5-22X56 NXS.  We've both been extremely pleased with these scopes.  The NF's optics are really good, on par with some of the high-end euro scopes, but probably not quite in the same league as the very best of the euro scopes.  But, what I especially like about them is their reticles and the solid feel of their adjustments.  For a true tactical ranging reticle, my initial reaction is much like yours in that the FFP MP8 reticle appears it would be more usable than the NF offerings.  NF also offers the NP-R1 reticle that isn't shown on their website.  It's like their NP-R2, except has more stadia lines on the horizontal bar for more precise windage compensation.  Still, it doesn't have as many stadia lines as the MP8 reticle does.  Since you mentioned targets and varmints however, the NF reticles are some of the best I've seen for shooting at small targets.  Plus, they have a better selection of available reticles than anyone, and you don't have to contend with the 35mm ring issue.  I have one of their Mil Dot scopes on one of my varmint rifles, and the super thin reticle doesn't cover up small, distant targets, whereas a FFP reticle, in spite of its advantages to ranging regardless of power setting, possibly could hamper some long range precision. 

I have no doubt based on the many positive comments about the current IOR scopes in general that they are excellent instruments.  I'm considering one myself.  However, I know what to expect with NF scopes, and I don't have anything negative to say about them.  As for their mechanical repeatability, they are the dominant scope in 1000yd benchrest competition at present, so that should indicate how well suited they are to this type of shooting.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 18:37

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

I was afraid of that.

Phil, see what you started?  This gives an absolutely unholy slant to the whole IOR tube diameter debacle (as a side not I just received another set of TPS rings and the quality is superb).

Any comments on IOR vs Nightforce, Roy? (trying to get this thread back on the right track).

ILya

Thought you guys would like those scope mounts....

Thanks for the compliments on our products...

Now for the topic at hand...

I'm kinda biased in the fact that a friend of mine (Vern Harrison) introduced me to IOR a few years back and truth be told I haven't looked anywhere else...  Of course more funds might have me look at high end optics, but I don't see that in the future...

I hear great things on Nightforce Optics, but I'm not too much help there as I have only read about there products...  (Sounds like you have two great choices)

I haven't had any problems with my IOR's and I would stand by there products...

Now I need to build a new rifle, so I can buy another IOR scope...  Everytime I get excited about one of there scopes, they come out with some thing better...

MP-8 rocks.....

100% USA Made.
rob1963 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 19:08
    Phil,  Will the mil-dot master work well with the MP-8, or would you recommend IOR's pocket mil calc?
"If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are All Defective"
TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 19:25
I use what IOR sent me with the scope... (pocket mil calc or I just use the trusty o'l Mil Calculation with the Calculator.)
100% USA Made.
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 20:09

I own an IOR 35mm 6x24 50mm tactical model that sits atop a 6.5x284.  This glass previously sat atop a Savage 10FP-LE1 in .308 for about a year.  I have been extremely pleased with the quality & performance of the scope.  Optically I'd have to agree with koshkin in that the glass is (to my eyes) just a touch better than that used in the NXS series.  I think the MP8 reticle is fantastic and will work very well for your intended applications.

My shooting experience with Nightforce is limited and I've never actually owned one.  They are very, very good scopes and deserve their good reputation.  The benchrest community has taken a shine to the NXS and those shooters demand a lot out of the tracking & adjustments of their optics.

I have dealt with IOR the company (aka--Val & Scott) on a warranty issue on another IOR scope and they were very professional and prompt with their service.

Bottom line is that you really can't go wrong with either.  Obviously I'd tell you to buy the IOR but there isn't a bad option with these two...

Please let us know what you decide!

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2007 at 11:48
Rifle- have you experimented with NF's ballistic program or Exbal in recalibration of the reticle at different powers because of SFP? With your 1000 yd. experience have you used or experimented using the power selector to change bullet impact from the calibrated settings? (power selection is proportional to amt. of drop)
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2007 at 16:32
No, I just use the reticle for ranging on the highest power, using a Mil Dot master.  I've considered the ballistic program, but haven't taken the plunge yet.  When I use the same reticle for rapid pace PD shooting at lower power settings, I just use the mil dots as reference points to correct based on spotting my misses.  Very quickly, I get accustomed to the sight picture that gives me the firing solution for a given distance and wind condition.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic