OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

which ss scope to buy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which ss scope to buy?
    Posted: February/01/2007 at 07:55

Hi guys,  I'm new to long range stuff. I have a rem 700 .308 with a heavy barrel. Bell&Carson stock is enroute. But I can't decide weather to get the 10x 16x or the 20x Super Sniper scope...   and the rings and base are another question???

The 16x and 20x are cheaper any advise would be a great help.   Thanks in advance! 

Edited by mk17
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 11:00
Originally posted by mk17 mk17 wrote:

Hi guys,  I'm new to long range stuff. I have a rem 700 .308 with a heavy barrel. Bell&Carson stock is enroute. But I can't decide weather to get the 10x 16x or the 20x Siper Sniper scope...   and the rings and base are another question???

The 16x and 20x are cheaper any advise would be a great help.   Thanks in advance! 

Welcome to The OT!!

The 10x, 16x, and 20x rear focus are all the same price, my friend. $299.00

The 10x side focus is $399.00.

(All the above prices I consider ridiculously cost effective.) 

Tell us about what type of shooting you intend on doing.

Here's a link to the SS's own website that's sure to answer some of your questions.

http://supersniper.com/

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
mk17 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 12:03

Friendly competition between friends  and may also use it at work.  For work applications nothing over 400 yards. But I am not one, to not challenge myself. I would love to see what I can do out to 1000. Right now, I am trying to bring precision rifle into the nuclear security aspect. Again I do not have alot of hands on experience. I am trying to get as much info as I can. So that i'm not putting my money into something for nothing. Emphasis on my money. The company right now does not have the budget. I on the other hand, have always had an interest in this stuff. I figure, I will do a little leg work on my own, So I don't look like a jacka** in front of my peers. That and it's always good to test my wife to see how far she will let me go with this rifle.  She is great when it comes to this kind of thing though.....

Thanks again for the input.  I have checked out the SS web site. I guess one of my big questions is why would I want to go with a 10x42 when I can go with a 20x42 for a hundred bucks less.  Is side focus really worth it?  Is their a big diff. in calculation between a 10x and a 20x mil dot....    I just what to make an informed decision. From the research done so far. Super Sniper is definetly the way for me to go. The price can't be beat for the quality you get.

Again, all info is appreciated and welcome.

Thanks, Mike

Edited by mk17
rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 12:21
20X is a lot of "Xs" in a fixed power scope. Mirage, shake and just the quality of the scope (this is not a $2000 S&B)
are issues to consider. I know from my own three 6.5-20s that 20X is a very special purpose power. I don't think I would like to be locked into it whereas 10X is much easier to use.
Henry455 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 12:33
I have a 20X that works well in my situation. Its mounted on a RRA 24" bull barrel upper that is used strictly for benchrest/paper punching. The downside to the 20X is less field of view, less eye relief and dimmer image in low light situations. Since I shoot from the bench only, these are things I can live with. If I used my RRA for hunting or off hand shooting, I would replace it with the 10X. Its a much more versatile optic.  By the way, the 10X is usable for occasional 1000 yd shooting. As Cheaptrick said, the 10X is available without side focus for $300.00. Hope this helps.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 14:01

The caluculations you mention will be the same on all the powers.

The rear focus 10x is the SAME PRICE as the rear focus 16x and 20x.

It's only the 10x side focus that cost $100 more.

I shoot left handed and prefer the rear focus model so I can keep my trigger finger by the trigger, where it belongs.

FOV @ 100 yards between the 10x and the 16x is basically cut in half.

Henry & Slim gave good advise. I agree.

IMO, the 10x SS is the most versitile of the group.  

Sounds like that's what you need.

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
smitty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 14:39
Too bad there isn't a SS8x42 becasue that would be absolutely perfect IMO. And if would match the magnification of my
binoculars.

Anyway, the 10x is the most versatile of the bunch.

Smitty
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 16:20
mk17, if you are new to this stuff, then the best you can do is buy a fixed 10x42 with rear focus.  That is the most cost-effective way I know of to get a good tactical scope.  Buy good quality mounts (TPS would be my recommendation).  Then go to a reputable training center and spend the rest of your budget there.

Training with a good instructor is an absolutely eye opening experience for most of us.

I'll be going for some training to Frontsight, come spring.

ILya
mk17 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 17:04
   Thanks alot for the info guys, I am taking it all in.....
mk17 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 19:28

I did it, I bought the 10x ss and TPS steel rings and base.  The rings and base were half the price of the scope  But as they say "you get what you pay for". I am hoping all the hipe about the ss scopes break that rule though.

Thanks for all the input......

Mike

Edited by mk17
dusky-jeff View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dusky-jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2007 at 08:24
Mike, I think you made the right choice for the applications that you described. I bought a 10X and 16X at the same time. My brother wanted the 16 so I got to try it out before I sent it to him and while it's a very nice scope the fov is really tight. I was on a bench with a good bipod and had a pretty hard time keeping it steady. The 10X is much better suited for my purposes which are similar to yours, with the exception of nuclear security part of course.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2007 at 20:34
Buy one of each and badger rings & base.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mk17 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 20:36

I am still waiting for the Bell&Carlson stock. I got the fully adjustable stock and I have mounted the 10x SS. The TPS mounts are the best I have ever used. Well worth the money. A buddy and I split a case of 168 grain Black Hills. So hopefully I will be shooting soon.

Thanks again for all the help.

Edited by mk17
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2007 at 22:37
Why the Bell and Carlson stock?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic